We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: ALTUI : V1 preparation and contribution model  (Read 10829 times)

Offline ilikelife

Re: ALTUI : V1 preparation and contribution model
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 09:05:52 pm »
Just FYI.

AltUI v1.0.1012, ? 2015 amg0, User: ilikelife, Registered Version / Mon Oct 12 2015

Works great!

Offline logread

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 08:08:37 am »
Just a minor bug for me... I am indeed identified as "registered" when accessing AltUI locally, but not when using remote access (though my username is properly identified). No big deal since the "donate" section on the home screen is still fairly innocuous, but if @amg0 decides to make it a bit more intrusive, would nice to fix beforehand
Vera Lite UI7, Fibaro FGS-221, FGS-212, FGSS-001, FGK-101, FGWPE/F-101, FGMS-001, Aeon HEM G2, GreenWave PowerNode 6,  Everspring ST-814, SE-812, Swiid SwiidInter.
Raspberry Pi2 Raspbian w/ openLuup. AltUI, SV Thermostat, Virtual Switch, Weather (openWeather), System Monitor (openSysMon), HomeWave.

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 12:49:20 am »
Just a minor bug for me... I am indeed identified as "registered" when accessing AltUI locally, but not when using remote access (though my username is properly identified). No big deal since the "donate" section on the home screen is still fairly innocuous, but if @amg0 decides to make it a bit more intrusive, would nice to fix beforehand
In remote access, for security reasons, neither the meteo, nor the update check nor the user check can work. So I just leave it with a vanilla footer that does not say registered or not,  and I do not take any specific actions either way.

Offline scyto

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 05:59:34 pm »
would the donation have been amg0 even if done say 2 years ago?  could of sworn i sent you something... but don;t see anything on my paypal history.

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 01:46:01 am »
would the donation have been amg0 even if done say 2 years ago?  could of sworn i sent you something... but don;t see anything on my paypal history.

Send me your real name or Paypal email address via private mail and I ll check.
Thank you

Offline z-wav

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 03:44:17 pm »
100% Fair

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 08:13:06 am »
Dear users of ALTUI

ALTUI has reached a point of maturity where it gives much more than UIx.  this now reaching close 45000 lines of code and I do not know how many hundreds of development and support hours.
With triggers, worfklows, custom pages you can really bring your automation system to a new level of productivity that standard UI and lua scenes would not give you ( and is unlikely to give it short term I am afraid ).

Looking back after a year of contributions & donations, I can see a couple of things I may have to reenforce:
  • any contribution lower than 5 (and there are quite a few 1? out there ), once paypal apply currency change charges and standard charges gives a few cents credit in the net result
  • vast majority of use is still with unregistered access , about 80% I would say
  • some users are not using remote features and therefore appear as undifferentiated users for the license check

I would propose the following adjustments which I hope are in all fairness, I am happy to discuss it if someone has strong feeling this is not right
  • overtime I want to turn it into a product and work with other backend controller so I need to protect the Intellectual Property and reenforce the message and it is not free to resellers/integrators who need to have a commercial agreement with me before using this in their own offering. I am happy to support them with rebranding or other options
  • I will make the unregistered message a little bit more prominent so the user can really think about contributing to the project
  • I will create a unique ID dynamically for the no-name users so that you do not have to bother about this issue and still use your vera without enabling remote acces. with that ID I can differentiate them and their registration status. This ID will be yours , like a registration key and if lost , you can ask me , I ll give it back to you
  • Instead of letting it open to any contribution amount, I ll define 3 levels : 6m/10? and a discount cost for 1y, 2y. if somebody is interested by a different scheme let me know. I ll keep the existing grants for the code contributors,  I will align the duration for the couple of high level contributions I received
  • contributors ( code, localization files ) will be rewarded by a free grant depending on the contribution level
  • at the time I do not plan to limit down the features , even for non registered users, but I propose to make the auto-update feature only for registered users
  • if somebody feels he is not treated fairly, just PM me and we will arrange the situation

I welcome some feedbacks before I turn this on. Thanks again to the community for the support and helping me getting this better every day
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:04:06 am by amg0 »

Offline konradwalsh

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 10:34:59 am »
You deserve this at the minimum but you deserve more

I just set up a ?3 a month subscription donation on Paypal to support your work. I guess it will buy a beer every month
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:44:22 am by konradwalsh »

Offline CelticWebs

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 03:44:18 am »
I completely Agree with everything you've said.

I used your UI as a free app for about a month then I added Rules Engine which relied upon your UI so I started using it more, during this time I realised just how much better than UI7 it actually is, if it could include devices I don't really think there'd be any reason to use UI7 anymore and I'd be happy for it to replace UI7!

So as soon as I started really using it I donated for a 12 month, being a web developer myself, I know the hours that can be spent doing the smallest of alterations to make sure its perfect and how people just "expect" it for nothing.  If I were you I'd seriously consider in the future that new features (not fixes) were added for subscribed users and that there was a sort of time window for trial like many other softwares where all features were available but after a period those features weren't accessible, maybe a couple of months so that people can use and get to grips with AltUi.

I'm not saying limit so that it becomes useless, maybe limit certain features after the trial period such as workflows and other useful features.

Offline tedp

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 11:42:56 pm »
I think your work is well appreciated by its users and I'm sure most will be willing to contribute if they have not done so already. That being said, my guess is that you might get some level of revenue via donations, but there is likely untapped value in what you've done. Have you considered making a product that uses your software with some other hardware?

-Ted

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 01:53:53 am »
I think your work is well appreciated by its users and I'm sure most will be willing to contribute if they have not done so already. That being said, my guess is that you might get some level of revenue via donations, but there is likely untapped value in what you've done. Have you considered making a product that uses your software with some other hardware?

-Ted

Thank you Ted, I am considering this but would like to keep it as Software as a service rather than the old classical model with product, versions etc...

regarding supporting other HW, the ALTUI design that and I have a POC based on a nodejs backend , totatlly different from VERA and much more powerful. by lack of time this is not progressing right now but it works with ALTUI and for aLTUI it makse absolutely no difference if we talk to Vera, openLuup or that nodejs backend. ultimately adding to it a zWave card and I have a standalone controller.  ... or using this as a middle layer in front of plently of different other controllers, it becomes a hugely scalable architecture for larger scale automations.   not to mention than, once no nodejs, we could integrate with Apple Home kit etc...

but as said by lack of time this has not progressed much recently. if strong node.js developpers are out there and interested, we could talk... 

Offline tedp

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 11:18:55 am »

-Ted

Thank you Ted, I am considering this but would like to keep it as Software as a service rather than the old classical model with product, versions etc...

regarding supporting other HW, the ALTUI design that and I have a POC based on a nodejs backend , totatlly different from VERA and much more powerful. by lack of time this is not progressing right now but it works with ALTUI and for aLTUI it makse absolutely no difference if we talk to Vera, openLuup or that nodejs backend. ultimately adding to it a zWave card and I have a standalone controller.  ... or using this as a middle layer in front of plently of different other controllers, it becomes a hugely scalable architecture for larger scale automations.   not to mention than, once no nodejs, we could integrate with Apple Home kit etc...

but as said by lack of time this has not progressed much recently. if strong node.js developpers are out there and interested, we could talk...
I have a couple of thoughts for you if interested. I can send you a separate email.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 11:34:48 am »

-Ted

I have a couple of thoughts for you if interested. I can send you a separate email.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
sure thing

Offline stefaanbolle

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2016, 09:51:05 am »
i just purchased a license for 2 years under my main account.
Hower the version is still unregistered. At the bottom I see that the account name of a second user is displayed.
Can you please arrange activation and this for my primary user which has been indicated when ordered?
Thanks!

Offline CelticWebs

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2016, 11:49:56 am »
I had the same issue, he just activated my second user in the end.  No idea why it thinks I'm using the second user....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk