We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Setting up Vera Alerts  (Read 5449 times)

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
Re: Setting up Vera Alerts
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 06:45:07 pm »
There are three options to send alerts from a Scene in UI7

1) In the Scene ... there is a place to  "Notify these users"
      Here you select a Vera User.   If you have a Vera Alerts Profile(s) associated with that user, then it will be processed by Vera Alerts.
     Need to do the Vera Alerts Configure Notifications, when ever you add or modify an Alert.

2) In the Scene ... there is the Advanced Editor.
    You can add the Vera Alerts Device to send an Action, select the SendAlert action.
    Use a VeraUser name or Vera Alerts Profile Name for the recipient. (You can have more than one)
    Then specify your message.

3) You can call Vera Alerts from the LUA code in the Scene ... you can search to find examples, or check my web page.
    I do not discuss this much, because most people have problems dealing with the details needed when working with  LUA.

Offline Quixote

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 08:47:06 pm »
Thanks for your help!

I think I've figured it out.

One of the problems that I just discovered was that when I was selecting "create a scene" I was presented with this annoying basic "wizard" where I chose a device as a trigger (for example a motion sensor), and then it prompted me for a device action for step 2. I didn't realize that I could just scroll down, skip step 2 and select "notify these users" or add LUUP code in step 3. I can also see that I can access the advanced editor there.

This is pretty great! The only thing I'm a little concerned about is how this overlaps with UI7's built-in notifications. While experimenting thus far, I've found that using method #1 as you've instructed blows up my phone with alerts (an email and text message from UI7, and then the alert from Vera Alerts). I'd like to keep the email and text alerts for certain things for redundancy, for example: if my alarm system is triggered, but I can see that it would become very annoying to have all of these messages for most triggers.
Just for clarification, if I were to set a scene to ignore the "Notify these users" in step 3 of scene creation, but then use the "SendAlert action", I will not receive a message if I'm not on my home LAN, correct?

I can figure out the Lua syntax on my own if/when I need it. Thanks again.

Edit: Finally noticed the help file. It answers most of my questions.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:38:25 am by Quixote »
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person. (I guess I'm "Chaotic Neutral").

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:18 pm »
Just for clarification, if I were to set a scene to ignore the "Notify these users" in step 3 of scene creation, but then use the "SendAlert action", I will not receive a message if I'm not on my home LAN, correct?

I do not know how you would do this ...
I turn off ALL MCV notifications and then select the ones I want via Scenes or Device Notifications. (Mostly the latter) ... and occasionally as PLEG actions.
If you want some Events to go one place, and other to go some where else, just create a different Vera User.

i.e.     Vera User                                Vera Alerts Profile
             Owner                                      Joes Android Mobile
             FamilyMember                          Mary's   Pushbullet on IPhone,   Tom's PushOver on IPhone,     Elizabeth's  SMS via Twilio

Then assign Notifications for Devices and Scenes to       Owner, or FamilyMember, or Both.

Offline Quixote

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 12:45:58 am »
Got it, thanks.
I'm not sure how I missed it, but I finally noticed the help file and it explains a lot. I've been in a little bit of a fog today. :/

I think I may turn off the MCV notifications and opt for the SMTP feature if I can figure it out. I recently cancelled the data plan on my phone because I was routinely racking up obscene charges for overage fees. When I'm out and have no access to wifi I rely on text messages to receive my notifications. Fortunately, I can send myself a text message by emailing an address tied to my phone number. :)

Love your work! I'll purchase my license next week.
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person. (I guess I'm "Chaotic Neutral").

Offline Quixote

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 01:12:41 am »
Sorry -- one last thing --
I've tried setting up the LAN profile with 192.168.1.71 in the Host field, which is the LAN address of my phone, then going into the app settings on the phone and entering 2048 in the port field to match the default in the UI7 plug-in, but even after jumping back to the "Configure Notifications" tab, I'm unable to send a message. Also, I noticed that the "Configure Notifications" tab shows no alerts, though I have 3 set up. Am I overlooking something here?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:21:38 am by Quixote »