Author Topic: A Doorbell and Alert System all in One  (Read 9686 times)

Offline coticon

• Sr. Newbie
Re: A Doorbell and Alert System all in One
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 09:49:22 am »
Hi Nutron,

Sorry for talking so long to get back to you ... been at the  hospital downstate with my Mother (97 yrs old).

From what I am reading from your example you just want a message announced at 4:30 PM with no doorbell activation message - perhaps you can suspend the doorbell message at 4:30 by creating two scenes for regular doorbell message activation time periods one for Midnight to 4:29 PM and one for 4:31 PM to Midnight.  Then create a scene that just transmits your message at 4:30PM.

A little klugey but it might work.
Vera Lite 2013: Trane Thermostat, Everspring Lamp Modules, Homesettings Outlets, Ponicspumps (plant watering),  Foscam 9804 outdoor & 9821 indoor cameras, Econolink Motion Detectors, Kwikset Doorlock, FirstAlert Smoke & CO Alarms, AeonLabs Doorbell, Everspring Water Sensors, Main Line Water Valve

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2016, 05:55:22 pm »
I have my Vera Plus set to trigger this doorbell when a door or window is opened. I get significant delay (up to 15 seconds) or no trigger at all and hence no doorbell to notify me that a door or window has been opened.

Is this the doorbell? The Vera Plus? The Vision ZD2102-5 (monoprice sells them as a generic) Sensors? Something else? Like the location of the Vera Plus or configuration of the mesh network? I have several sensors on various windows and doors on the ground floor of the house and the doorbell itself, all within pretty close proximity of each other. This is the primary reason for doing the installation, well it gets my foot in the door for spending money home automation with my wife, so if the WAF isn't high on this then it goes no further. As much as we are doing this to keep intruders out, we're doing it to keep teenagers IN! Not having the bell sound pretty much defeats the purpose all together but a slight (1 second or less) delay would be tolerable.

I'm new to home automation but very experienced with computers and networks... and techie forums. You'll find me posting all the time at avsforum and thegreenbutton forum..

TIA for any assistance here.

Offline michaelhinchey

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 04:56:51 pm »
Is it possible to have the message repeat every 15 minutes until the event ends.

Such as a "SM-103 z-wave switch tells the Vera3 that a door is unlocked and the Aeon Labs ZW056-A announces "Please lock the door" every 15 minutes until someone locks the door ??
  why ot just have you system lock it for you:P

Offline DeAmelia

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 05:20:41 pm »
I've got two of these doorbells that I'm trying to use to play messages.  I've found that both of the devices seem to "stutter" at times, but not all the time.  For example, if the message is "All doors are now locked", I'll hear "All do-, All do-, Al doors are now locked".

Has anyone else seen this?

I have quite a few devices on my z-wave network.  I'm wondering if the command from my VeraPlus is bouncing around the mesh and arriving more than once at the doorbell?

Maybe this is what's going on for the earlier poster that was hearing entire messages repeat?

Offline coticon

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 09:21:45 am »
As the creator of this post I have also seen this happen intermittently (about once every 2 months) on random messages of the 40 that I have it programmed to "say".  Since it happens relatively infrequently I have not paid much attention to it but I can say in retrospect that I can not identify a pattern to which messages will do this or when it will happen.  I'm sorry not to be of any more help but I just wanted to let you know that there was someone else who also experiences what you are reporting.
Vera Lite 2013: Trane Thermostat, Everspring Lamp Modules, Homesettings Outlets, Ponicspumps (plant watering),  Foscam 9804 outdoor & 9821 indoor cameras, Econolink Motion Detectors, Kwikset Doorlock, FirstAlert Smoke & CO Alarms, AeonLabs Doorbell, Everspring Water Sensors, Main Line Water Valve

Offline DeAmelia

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 11:37:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately for me it's every day, although not every message, so it's pretty annoying. 

I guess I'll just try to put a few seconds of silence at the beginning of each message, that way the stuttering won't produce any sound.

Offline coticon

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 08:39:31 am »
That seems like a very good approach - let me know how it works.

Offline DeAmelia

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 01:51:31 pm »
I tried at first putting 2 seconds of silence at the start of the MP3 files, but that wasn't quite enough.  I've got 3 seconds in there now, and that has been working.

Offline coticon

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 02:17:15 pm »
Happy about this - it is an excellent solution ... although not sure why you have experienced this so frequently.  Did you try to move the doorbell units to other locations and even orientations (e.g. button up vs down)? I found that 2 of the 3 that I have were so sensitive that when they did not work on my initial installation (and this is of the bell only - not even the zwave interface), I almost returned them.  But at the last minute I discovered that changing the outlet that they were plugged into made all of the difference.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:19:43 pm by coticon »

Offline DeAmelia

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 02:05:36 am »
I saw the two I had were very sensitive to the positioning between the button and the main unit, but I didn't really care as I wasn't going to use the button.

There was no difference in behavior in the zwave commands in terms of orientation or distance from controller. 

It's something that got worse as I added more devices to my zwave mesh.  Perhaps coincidence, but I think it's traffic related.  Maybe the doorbell is getting the play command more than once (other devices like a switch being turned on or off  probably would not care about getting commands repeated). Or maybe the doorbell has a design limitation where it is getting disrupted by also being a repeater while it is playing.

Offline coticon

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2017, 12:16:15 pm »
One other possibility that comes to mind - since each Zwave unit also acts as a repeater, signals arriving from other units, at different times might be causing the multiple triggering as you indicated ... I have found in installing my units that enrolling that new unit at the location where it will be used (i.e. moving Vera to the unit rather that the other way around), is critical because when the mesh is set up for the new device it will do so using the devices closest to the set up location.  I discovered that bringing the unit to Vera to enroll and then installing it in a different location caused me many headaches until I changed my procedure. Hope this helps.

Offline cyborgltd

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2017, 11:50:21 pm »
I liked your write up so much I duplicated it (kinda). I have five doorbells now and am trying to get them each to announce something. When I run through the ZeroBrane debugger it works perfectly. However when I put the code into the "scene" and wait for the LUUP engine to restart and then run it nothing happens? I have attached the code if you have any interest and time to look at it I would appreciate it. My next step is to link my Echo and regular doorbell to create a barking dog sound anytime the door bell is rung or when the DSC security system is armed and the Echo hears any unusual noise!

Thanks,

P.S It took me forever to figure out that I needed to add some blank space at the end of the announcement to not have it cut off.

Jeff

Offline coticon

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2017, 02:48:55 pm »
Hi Jeff

Compliments on your code, it is well written and excellently documented.  Unfortunately unless I try to run the code, I am not learned enough to be able to visually pick out the specific point where it is failing.

If any other reader can help here it would be much-appreciated.

What I am now going to do is something which I personally dislike when I see it on other forums and in other posts - and that is to suggest a different (preliminary) approach - knowing that you want your question answered with solution to what you are currently doing - but being unable to do the latter and wanting to help, please forgive me for the following personal violation:

The way I would have implemented the dog bark would have been to get it to firstly work on the Vera - Speaker link, and then develop from there - example - you have a fire alarm that when triggered will send to the speaker whose ALTId is 15 a dog bark to alert you that there is a problem :

1. On your computer, create an MP3 file with the dog bark.
2. Name the MP3 file with a short name e.g. 4.mp3 (No spaces - note that the number 4 is NOT what you will use to call up the file - as I will explain later).
3. Attach your speaker unit to your computer and place the MP3 file into the same directory as the other MP3s that are currently there.
4. In Vera, create a scene based on the fire alarm's triggering (keep the scene simple since all you want to do at first is get the sound file to play) - you can increase the complexity of your code after you have accomplished this task.
5. In the LUA box for that scene copy and paste the following line -
luup.call_action('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1','SendData',{Node='15',Data='112 4 6 1 X'},1)
Where '15' corresponds to the ALTId of the speaker
6. Substitute a number in place of X and the way you will ascertain that number is to do the following:

IMPORTANTLY NOTING: the file number that you want to have speaker ALTId 15 play and substitute in the place of 'X" is NOT 4 (i.e. the name of the 4.MP3 file) but the sequence number of that 4.mp3 file in the speaker's directory.  The way I got the correct message was that I had to play all of the messages (of the 48 that I have), starting with the number 1 - which I manually triggered and wrote down which sound played; followed by 2, 3, 4 etc until I knew which sounds were associated with which number.

Also note that the number you will use for one speaker has nothing to do with the number of the file you will have to enter for a second speaker.  If you want the dog bark to play on other speakers you will have to repeat the above process for each.

7. The desired sound should play - if it doesn't you have a space where none should exist or vsa vsa.
8. Now that you have an anchor point i.e. the speaker announcing the correct message when the scene triggers, then start to build your code to achieve what you want to accomplish.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help; or better yet, that you got it to work.

GOOD LUCK!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:07:03 pm by coticon »