We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Media Center Application  (Read 29361 times)

Offline fishkisser

• Sr. Newbie
Media Center Application
« on: December 29, 2008, 05:42:45 pm »
While sitting  with my xbox 360 remote in hand, it occurred to me that a media center application to get to the local /cmh page would be quite handy. I have a dedicated page that works fine with Vista MCE, but doesn't make it through to the extender. I thought I would suggest it.

Offline Maartenvt

Re: Media Center Application
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:38:33 pm »
While sitting  with my xbox 360 remote in hand, it occurred to me that a media center application to get to the local /cmh page would be quite handy. I have a dedicated page that works fine with Vista MCE, but doesn't make it through to the extender. I thought I would suggest it.

Is there an VMC or MCE plugin availible?
Vera Edge (Firmware rev. 1.7.2406), 1x Düwi INTERACT³ light switch, 1x  ZIR010 Motion Sensor.

Offline fastlane01

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:08:52 am »
This would excellent - I just ordered the Vera and have just gotten started down this Zwave path, but I have the whole house networked, have OnQ whole house audio linked to a Zune, Xbox Extenders and Uverse TV everywhere, so having an MCE application that worked with extenders would be great.

Offline mcoulter

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 03:23:21 pm »
yes, lets keep this discussion/project open.  My home network is now all Win7 and I enjoy the 7MC at the heart of my entertainment system.  But I have to use a low resolution until I can upgrade to a better HTPC, so using the TV to read the Vera page means LOTS of scrolling (or any webpage).  But a good plugin would be awesome.

Offline mcoulter

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 02:18:39 pm »
Regarding another option, this remote due out next year could circumvent the need to have a plugin for the Media Center by providing a Windows Media Center remote that includes Zwave and much more: http://www.slashgear.com/silver-pac-evolution-5500-universal-remote-sideshow-display-1465882/

Offline fastlane01

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 03:01:32 pm »
Hmm - that looks cool.

However, the WAF is low(Wife Acceptance Factor) - The fewer buttons the better - WAF for Media Center plugins is MUCH higher in my house than gadget/device acceptance.

But, I would love to get my hands on that thing and try it out.. Any idea on pricing?

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 06:26:30 pm »
Looks fancy - I wouldn't expect it to be cheap, $1000 easily...
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite, Plus), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.

Offline JaseP

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 10:54:47 pm »
yes, lets keep this discussion/project open.  My home network is now all Win7 and I enjoy the 7MC at the heart of my entertainment system.  But I have to use a low resolution until I can upgrade to a better HTPC, so using the TV to read the Vera page means LOTS of scrolling (or any webpage).  But a good plugin would be awesome.

Newsflash for you,... You're stuck with low rez if you use ANY unsigned driver with M$'s crappy media center edition (DRM, digital restrictions management). Only open source software will allow for full hi rez without restriction... You might want to check out MythTV and/or LinuxMCE.

Offline mcoulter

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 12:43:02 pm »
JaseP,
Going back to the WAF mentioned earlier, it took me a long time to get my wife this far so I'm not pushing anymore changes for a while :)

The resolution that is capable through Windows MC is fine with me.  My restriction is my current video card because the ram is so low.  So an upgrade there will still give me much improvement.

Offline JaseP

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 02:08:34 am »
You'd almost be better off with a cheap netbook interface or just an iTouch using Safari to tie into to the Vera's web admin tool for a remote control... Most of the ARM powered netbooks and slates coming around the corner are going to be both cheap and powerful,... most running Linux, like the Vera does,... Without the extra Co$t that M$ brings to the table,...

By the way MythTV (such as Mythbuntu) is not hard to do on a single HTPC. Plus it does way more than any of the competition,...

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 12:07:59 am »
I spent some time with Win 7 media center - it's much better now, both from look and function perspective. Native support for 1080p h.264, and Shark007 codec pack opens a way for .mkv and custom subtitles. The best thing is that it runs as a regular application, and doesn't require dedicated box. I use a my i7 desktop for this and other things, if I went with XBMC or MythTV I'd have to get yet another computer.

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 12:43:38 am »
YMMV, sometimes I run MythTV on my desktop. Running WinMCE would require me to get another computer... ;)
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite, Plus), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 09:46:25 am »

Is there an VMC or MCE plugin availible?

There is always the option to run one of the browser plugins in Media center and use it that way!

http://www.anpark.com/software.aspx
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline Roger.NET

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 11:14:43 am »
Hello Everyone!

I'm working on purchasing a Vera in Feb.  After that, I will be developing a MCE Add In for Vera.  I want to be able to control my system through my XBOX (MCE).  It will also have my IP Cameras.

Why?  Because of the wife.  She doesn't want a remote more complicated then the Harmony 890 we have.  She wants to keep the interface she is use to (Windows Media Center on XBOX).

Let me know if your interested!

Roger

Offline Maartenvt

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 11:21:22 am »
Very interested, would be great if you could develop such a addon. let me know if i can be of any help. maybe with testing.
I have a XBOX 360 and MC7.
Vera Edge (Firmware rev. 1.7.2406), 1x Düwi INTERACT³ light switch, 1x  ZIR010 Motion Sensor.