We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: heads up -- GCM bug on Android 5.0.2 devices (affects Vera Alerts)  (Read 8204 times)

Offline tomtcom

• Beta Testers
Re: heads up -- GCM bug on Android 5.0.2 devices (affects Vera Alerts)
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2015, 01:21:25 pm »
Hi Richard, I agree with you in terms of keeping the socket alive, that is my goal. Normally apps would open some form of upnp socket and that is why I would agree it might not do what I'm looking for, however here: http://updates.pushover.net/ is a snippet that leads me to believe I'm on the right trail:

In early versions of Android, Google provided a mechanism for apps like Pushover to receive notifications called C2DM, which Pushover used until Google deprecated it in June 2012. In version 1.6.2 of Pushover for Android we started switching devices to Google?s new notification system called GCM, which the majority of Pushover users are now using. In August 2014 we finally removed all support for C2DM in our Android app and required all new devices to use GCM.

I can't root the Note 4 the way I would like, they only have a temp root solution that I do not care for. Otherwise your comments about lower level network stack I'm in agreement with.

So my point is I will simply run some tests to see if the outcome helps me. If it does then I will stick with it. If it does not then that is that.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2015, 01:33:09 pm »
With C2DM and GCM  the APP (i.e PushOver or Vera Alerts) never actually open the socket ... The socket was always managed by Googles Software ... for GCM it's Google Play Services. The Google software calls back apps on the Android (PushOver, Vera Alerts, App Store Updates, ....) when there is data for them. The idea behind C2DM/GCM is that there is only a single network socket polling loop, independent of the # of application protocols an Android App was running. Having servers that can handle an unbounded number of connections is a technically challenging job ... and Google decided it would be best if they managed that problem.

You can't get at the socket for that ... With root you can find the socket and do some low level socket communication that does not effect the higher level socket protocol.

You may help for the cases where the LOCAL phone hardware is dropping the connections because of data inactivity. That's the case for S6 running IPv6.
The only way to solve this for everyone is for Google to lower there interval (or at least provide an option for users to lower the interval) to a value that is smaller than ALL
of the HARDWARE between the APP and the Server that is looking to drop connections to save resources:

This includes:
1) Your Phone (power savings)
2) Your Data Carriers (free up server resources)
3) Google (I am pretty sure they are not dropping the connections)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:38:46 pm by RichardTSchaefer »

Offline ShawnInFL

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2015, 12:40:02 pm »
FYI - I just recently received an update to my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge through Verizon. I noticed in the notes it mentioned "IMPROVED WI-FI PERFORMANCE". Since the update, my alerts, Pandora and other apps that were being delayed and effected by being on Wi-Fi seem to be working as they should, even while on Wi-Fi. Meaning, no need for my tasker fix to turn the Wi-Fi off while screen is locked and back on when screen is unlocked. Just wanted to pass along that it looks as though this issue is finally resolved!!

Offline tomtcom

• Beta Testers
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2015, 02:32:23 pm »
Is that the 5.1 update? I wasn't sure if M was available yet.

Offline ShawnInFL

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 02:47:58 pm »
Looks like I am on 5.1.1

Offline tomtcom

• Beta Testers
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2015, 05:11:27 pm »
Looks like I am on 5.1.1

Ok, I think the Note 4 for Verizon will be February and not sure if it will be 5.1.1 or M. But this is better news. Thanks!

Offline ShawnInFL

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 05:13:21 pm »
Looking forward to marshmallow myself! Keep me posted when you get your update and let me know if that did the trick. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Luckily, for me, it wasn't a train :-)