We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: VeraPlus Zigbee capabilities  (Read 23108 times)

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
Re: VeraPlus Zigbee capabilities
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 12:34:23 pm »
ZLL support if what I'm hoping for.  I just had to return some promising Osram Lightify lamps because they would not connect to hue.  Apparently Philips has decided to disable touchlink and attempt to lock third party bulbs out of their system.

Philips has just released a new update that restores 3rd party bulb compatibility. After installing said update on the hub, it saw my GE-Link bulbs. I'm not familiar with the Osram bulbs but if they are ZLL they should work with that latest update.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline TC1

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2015, 01:43:12 pm »
Sorry, have to say this, but the fact they announce a product, the main selling point is a new capability, are now selling it to you, but don't even tell you what standards the capability conforms to, is typical Vera.
Before slagging them off for not telling you all the standards, don't forget that it is not officially released yet.

Umm, you're wrong. They are taking pre-orders with a guaranteed ship date. That must mean product is in the pipeline and set in stone for now.

Offline TC1

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2015, 01:49:25 pm »
@TC1 - My suspicion/expectation is that, while the Plus will contain a Zigbee radio, it will not have any direct Zigbee device support. I expect that support to come at a later date/firmware release or through plugins.

None the less, I'm still glad to see the radio included.

The best case scenario is that the protocol can be altered via the software stack.

Which leads me to a few other theories....

If they added the Zigbee support via the internal usb bus in the unit, in theory, one could add a Zigbee external radio in the USB port on a VeraEdge, the software should be able to find it.

If not... then that means the software development for the firmware gets more complicated? Will there be one firmware release that is regression tested against all prior models that will auto-detect which model it's running on? I'm hoping for the folks that already invested in a VE that they too will be able to add ZB support via a USB stick.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 04:12:28 pm »
Sorry, have to say this, but the fact they announce a product, the main selling point is a new capability, are now selling it to you, but don't even tell you what standards the capability conforms to, is typical Vera.
Before slagging them off for not telling you all the standards, don't forget that it is not officially released yet.

Umm, you're wrong. They are taking pre-orders with a guaranteed ship date. That must mean product is in the pipeline and set in stone for now.

I didn't mean that they had not finished the design, merely that they had not formally released it yet. All I'm saying is let them formally announce everything and announce the specs then we will all know.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline br636

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2015, 05:10:50 pm »
It will support Zigbee HA 1.2

Brian - ZigBee Home Automation 1.2 at launch. Updates to follow, as there is a lot going on in the  ZigBee Alliance at present. Say tuned.

Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure ▾ Sr. Director of Product Development

Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control
www.getvera.comcolin@getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

Offline TC1

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2015, 06:00:37 pm »

Brian - ZigBee Home Automation 1.2 at launch. Updates to follow, as there is a lot going on in the  ZigBee Alliance at present. Say tuned.

Cheers,

Colin Burke McClure ▾ Sr. Director of Product Development

Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control
www.getvera.comcolin@getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

Thanks Brian.

Anyone interested in learning more about the standard can start here:
http://www.zigbee.org/?wpdmdl=2143 (it's a pdf download)

Offline Chrisfraser05

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2015, 06:14:58 pm »
LightwaveRF can also be purchased in Europe:
http://www.vesternet.com/lightwaverf

But no support from Vera for it.

For me that would have made the VeraPlus worth buying but as it stands, for other than the USA, Vera seem to have limited their market. Why would I spend the extra to get a VeraPlus when I can get a VeraEdge cheaper (I already have a VeraEdge BTW  :) ).

You can use the RFXtrx433e connected to the usb port on the edge and use a plugin to control lightwaverf devices.

Problem solved.

Vesternet even do it as a kit and provide guides to set it up

Offline MSW

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2016, 05:02:12 am »
I wish Vera would focus on getting UI7/Edge to work correctly with ZWave devices before they branched out to other technologies.  Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline RHINESEL

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2016, 01:02:11 pm »

I didn't mean that they had not finished the design, merely that they had not formally released it yet. All I'm saying is let them formally announce everything and announce the specs then we will all know.

They announced it here, on Facebook, and it is in there store.  How much more "formal" announcement do you want? 

This whole launch is typical Vera.  Capabilities that they can't confirm.  They say wait for VeraSecure for those that want more but no hint of what that will contain.  Smart thing is to come out with your "best" first and then introduce lower models in the future.  That way everyone can get what they want and in the future have the option to drop down if it is more than they need.

Offline smeghead

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2016, 06:59:12 pm »
LightwaveRF can also be purchased in Europe:
http://www.vesternet.com/lightwaverf

But no support from Vera for it.

For me that would have made the VeraPlus worth buying but as it stands, for other than the USA, Vera seem to have limited their market. Why would I spend the extra to get a VeraPlus when I can get a VeraEdge cheaper (I already have a VeraEdge BTW  :) ).

You can use the RFXtrx433e connected to the usb port on the edge and use a plugin to control lightwaverf devices.

Problem solved.

Vesternet even do it as a kit and provide guides to set it up

Hi Chrisfraser05, you are of course absolutely correct in what you say. However, the way I see it is that for a price of ?84.95 I could get LightwaveRF that is not formally supported by Vera. I guess it depends on your point of view but I believe that it would have been better to have it included in the new model capability, especially since Zigbee is not readily available in Europe.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2016, 03:07:25 pm »
However, the way I see it is that for a price of ?84.95 I could get LightwaveRF that is not formally supported by Vera. I guess it depends on your point of view but I believe that it would have been better to have it included in the new model capability, especially since Zigbee is not readily available in Europe.

And the circle begins again. Much of this thread is individuals requesting or even demanding features that THEY would benefit from. While, it's fine to request features that you desire, a company cannot/should not establish the feature set of a global product based on the needs of individuals or even small groups at the expense of the larger market.

I'm sure that Vera Ltd. would love to include every radio and every feature available so as to please every single potential customer on the entire planet. But, the reality is that this is not feasible, at any price and when you are price conscious it is completely impossible. So, you choose what you can provide for the right price to the largest market segment. That may mean ignoring 60 or even 70% of their total potential customer base because they all want different things while 30% all want one thing. But, these are the tough decisions that have to be made in business.

But, whinging about it on the forums remains pointless in so far as it will not change the realities of the business or the established (in 2014 or earlier) feature set of the Vera Plus. But, be very happy that there is a very viable alternative by using a dongle and a pre-existing plugin to do what you want. This extensibility is one of the strong points of Vera that is often forgotten or overlooked.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2016, 04:11:06 pm »
@zwaver
Couldn't agree more. I for one am sick of the winging that goes on here.

Those who complain that Vera does not include features they want - complaining won't make any difference, get over it.
Those who say that Vera is no good and xyz is much better - go to xyz and leave those who want to stay here alone.
Those who have already moved and come on here to persuade others to move - stop trying to justify your decision to leave by trying to get others to leave                   
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline smeghead

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 04:55:04 pm »
I also agree, let's get back to the initial subject. What Zigbee standard has the VeraPlus implemented?  Looking back at the posts in this thread there have been some suggestions but nothing official from Vera (such as a formal press announcement).  Therefore, is there any point in speculating in these forums, why not wait until there is a press announcement.  Oh, wait a minute, they are already trying to sell them without releasing the specification....... what's worse is that people are buying them in the hope that they will be OK, this is a receipe for disaster in my opinion as Zigbee is a silicon based standard.  Surely you, from a business and marketing view point, must respect this and question Vera's strategy.

As an aside, I can't help but notice the similarity in Z-Wave and Zigbee to IOS and Android. IOS, like Z-Wave, is tied down pretty tight, Zigbee, like Android, is pretty open but different Zigbee devices (even to the same Zigbee standard) may not work with each other.  The current Zigbee standard is at the silicon level and I realise that Zigbee 3 is meant to fix this, but will it....... Android is getting better at interoperability and interchangability but it's not there yet, will Zigbee 3 be the nirvana.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 05:57:35 pm »
I also agree, let's get back to the initial subject. What Zigbee standard has the VeraPlus implemented?

Offline athtest800

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 07:41:14 pm »
What is the range of the build in ZigBee in Vera Plus? How many mW?