Author Topic: Hunter Douglas PowerView control with Vera and Amazon Echo  (Read 10453 times)

Offline XA44Owq26HxCq88

Re: Hunter Douglas PowerView control with Vera and Amazon Echo
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 08:40:35 pm »
blindman75

Glad to hear that they are doing something with the hub. I had major problems that cleared up once I convinced HD to replace my hub. I've since gotten an email from my dealer that said her rep indicated that the current hub has been "problematic"

Will the new hub be able to be controlled from my vera without having to write code?
Will the new hub have any kind of log reporting capability?
Will the new hub be backwards compatible with my current shades?
Will HD replace my current hub with a new "upgraded" one?

If you have any further insight into the new hub, I'd love to hear about it!

Offline blindman75

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 09:33:08 pm »
blindman75

Glad to hear that they are doing something with the hub. I had major problems that cleared up once I convinced HD to replace my hub. I've since gotten an email from my dealer that said her rep indicated that the current hub has been "problematic"

Will the new hub be able to be controlled from my vera without having to write code?
Will the new hub have any kind of log reporting capability?
Will the new hub be backwards compatible with my current shades?
Will HD replace my current hub with a new "upgraded" one?

If you have any further insight into the new hub, I'd love to hear about it!
The new hub will be compatible with your current shades using Powerview. I doubt  they will offer to swap out your old unit. I don't have any specifics yet about working directly with vera, but should have more info sometime in April.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Offline XA44Owq26HxCq88

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 10:05:54 pm »
If it meant getting a more capable hub, I'd be happy to do some MORE trouble shooting!

Any idea if they are going to be coming out with a powerview II (?) shade?

Offline blindman75

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2017, 09:16:31 am »
My understanding is the hub is the only thing changing for now.

Offline mike Q

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2017, 10:34:28 pm »
As much as HD charges for their blinds, it's unfortunate that they wouldn't upgrade the people that bought into the original and somewhat flakey system.

Offline XA44Owq26HxCq88

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 12:37:18 pm »
Well, it started again on Friday. After about a month of flawless operation with a replacement hub (and the consequent rebuilding of the setup) one shade (Kit E) needed power cycling before it would respond to commands. This morning a different shade (DR S) needed power cycling before it would respond to commands. Sometime this morning that same shade (DR S) decided to close on it's own. It was not scheduled to close until this evening.

I contacted my dealer (with a CC to the HD tech who helped last time) and the dealer responded with "Thanks for the update". I've searched for other forums on the Hunter Douglas blinds where owners can discuss issues, but couldn't find any. Does anyone know of any?

Blindman75 - I know you're not involved directly, but as a dealer, have you run into this kind of flakiness? PM me if you would be willing to share some tips and/or discuss this in a non-public way, but I'd really like to get your take on this, if you don't mind.

thanks

Offline nutshellml

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 12:07:25 pm »
As much as HD charges for their blinds, it's unfortunate that they wouldn't upgrade the people that bought into the original and somewhat flakey system.

@blindman75

So I am in the market for cellular shades/blinds and also considering cellular vertical blinds/shades.  Actually just got a quote from a Hunter Douglas dealer today.  I didn't ask for motorized quote as I wanted to see how well it integrates with HA / Vera. And also concerned about the cost for motorizaation...

Question:
1) If I do go with motorized/hub, should I hold off until more info is available on the new Hub you mentioned?
2) Off topic blind/shade question - Since you're an uninterested 3rd party - I have kids, 3 and 1yr old.  Will they destroy a vertical cellular shade on a slider door?  Or would you go with the verticle panels?

THANKS!!!

Offline blindman75

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 09:57:43 pm »

@blindman75

So I am in the market for cellular shades/blinds and also considering cellular vertical blinds/shades.  Actually just got a quote from a Hunter Douglas dealer today.  I didn't ask for motorized quote as I wanted to see how well it integrates with HA / Vera. And also concerned about the cost for motorizaation...

Question:
1) If I do go with motorized/hub, should I hold off until more info is available on the new Hub you mentioned?
2) Off topic blind/shade question - Since you're an uninterested 3rd party - I have kids, 3 and 1yr old.  Will they destroy a vertical cellular shade on a slider door?  Or would you go with the verticle panels?

THANKS!!!
PM  sent

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 06:36:15 pm »

@blindman75

Question:

THANKS!!!
PM  sent

It helps the group if this were shared with everyone.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline blindman75

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 07:14:47 pm »

@blindman75

Question:

THANKS!!!
PM  sent

It helps the group if this were shared with everyone.
Spoke with my HD rep today. They get their hubs around May 1. Should be ready for consumers by late June early July. Rep is not as knowledgeable about the home automation side but said there  would be an improvement.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 08:02:04 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  I am not in the market for blinds yet, but I am leaning towards HD if it means easier integration.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline hgmobile

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2017, 03:44:45 pm »
Is there any update as to arrival of new improved hubs?

Online fitz2380

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 10:52:10 pm »
Yes.  I got an email from my Hunter Douglas representative that the new improved hubs were in.  She sent the email around October 2nd or so.  I do not have the blinds or hub yet as I was waiting for this new hub.  I am still researching to see if this is the way I want to go.