Author Topic: Vera Edge - Neato Botvac Vs Roomba 650 or 770  (Read 7428 times)

Offline Crm1975

• Sr. Newbie
Vera Edge - Neato Botvac Vs Roomba 650 or 770
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:20:56 pm »
I am looking to get a robot vacuum and the 3 listed in the title seem to be decent models that won't break the bank.  I want to make sure that I will be able to set them up to work with my Veraedge.  Basically hoping the vacuum will clean when no one is home and dock itself and not run when I am home. 

First question is, does anyone have these models and have them setup to work with the Vera?

2nd, if so, is one easier/better to work with than others.  thanks in advance

Offline aldera

Re: Vera Edge - Neato Botvac Vs Roomba 650 or 770
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:36:06 pm »
I have the Roomba 655 which is a 650 with a higher capacity battery. There's no wifi capability so you can't control it with Vera. However, you can program it to run any time of the day or night so you can schedule it to run while you're away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:21:22 am »
I am looking to get a robot vacuum and the 3 listed in the title seem to be decent models that won't break the bank.  I want to make sure that I will be able to set them up to work with my Veraedge.  Basically hoping the vacuum will clean when no one is home and dock itself and not run when I am home. 

First question is, does anyone have these models and have them setup to work with the Vera?

2nd, if so, is one easier/better to work with than others.  thanks in advance

Few things I would like to clear up from the poster above. 650 vs. 655 doesn't add any longer run time or more capacity to the battery. It is a different type of battery which last longer before needing to trash it an replace it. Think more charging cycles before it is junk not a longer cleaning time each day. The 655 is a renumber to be sold at Costco only. It does offer some newer features which won't make a world of difference but if given the choice for the same price the 655 is slightly better then the 650.

I have a Roomba 650 that you can pick up for around 350.00 out the door with a 20% off a bed bath and beyond.

I have wifi on mine (http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Cleaner-iRobot-international-version/dp/B00ZN6Z7YK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438683366&sr=8-1&keywords=thinking+cleaner) unlike the poster above. There is a vera plugin, there is Andriod Apps and apple apps, there is a web ui to interact with the roomba.

I do not use the built in times to run, I have scenes (PLEG actually) that it runs when we are both gone and battery is 100%. 

I have changed out my battery pack to a Lithium battery back with 4400maH vs. the stock and xtended life both have 3000maH.
(http://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Roomba-Replacement-Battery-iRobot/dp/B00FML2LYK/ref=sr_1_2?s=vacuums&ie=UTF8&qid=1452574820&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=roomba+battery&psc=1)

The 770 doesn't offer any more smarts in cleaning vs. the 650 and the wifi moduals altho work will not work with a stock cover on the roomba and there is no aftermarket covers. So to keep your roomba looking stock and add wifi (since only the new 900.00 980 version has factory wifi built in) stick with the 600 series. The dumbest part about any cheaper unit is the smarts and lack of mapping to evenly cover an area. Unless you get into 700+ range all the vacuums are pretty stupid and basically bounce off walls until the battery gets low then heads for home. This leads to a uneven coverage that is only made up by running several hours a day each day unlike a maid that can clean the whole house in half the time and in one time/day. When you get into the high end models roomba 980 and Botvac? Connected they get smarter by mapping the layout of the house and actually using the real back and forth cleaning pattern similer to a human.

I have never used or seen a Botvac so I can't comment on the actual product or how well it works. I am happy with the roomba, have had it for 1.5 years, it's heald up to two dogs and a now 5 year old kid leaving hair and toys everywhere. I have done those two upgrades on it now and I have replaced the 20.00 replenishment kit (which I suspect I'll do annually). So it cost me around 20-30 a year worth of parts for a genuine irobot kit (http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Roomba-600-Replenishment-Kit/dp/B009W16DHC/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1452575945&sr=1-5&keywords=600+replenishment+kit) it cost less then half for an aftermarket kit. All in all it's met my needs. I like the mapping of the newer 800.00 units but the built in wifi sucks and can't be used with vera anyways. Where my roomba lacks in quality cleaning it makes up in quantity.

Offline Miamijerry

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:28:58 am »
I have both a Neato Botvac Connected and Botvac D80.

The "Connected" has a lithium battery and just seems smarter then the D80. Both robots map out the room and clean in a grid pattern.

I highly recommend, but no Vera automation at the moment.
Vera 3 - UI7,   Energy - Brultech GEM,   Pool - Autelis/Pentair EasyTouch 8,   Climate - 4 each CT-30 Z-Wave Thermostats,   Yard - IrrigationCaddy

Offline virtus

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 03:22:26 pm »
As stated already, only the most expensive models have any remote/wifi control and the Botvacs don't integrate into the Vera. Here are some things to consider: You will still need to clean the dust trays (usually before each session) so it's not completely automatic. Our botvac does our kitchen, two hallways, two bedrooms, living room, bathroom, entry, dining room, etc... all at once and that's enough to fill the tray. About 2/3 of the way through it will usually go back to the base to charge for a while before going back to where it left off (lots of carpet = higher battery drain). If we see it at the charger we always empty the tray. If you send it out with a full tray it might stop until you empty it.

Both the roombas and the botvacs require some prep work because things like shoes, clothes, and other obstacles will either stop or confuse both of them. So if you want to randomly tell your vac to start while you are away you run the risk finding it stuck on something you left laying around. You can program a vacuuming schedule so they can be autonomous to a degree without a vera telling it what to do.

I was really skeptical about robot vacuums since we have a large home and a hairy dog. But to my surprise the Botvac D80 has done well. The roombas were baffled by our layout and their random patterns took a lot longer and usually missed entire rooms or areas. The botvac hasn't missed a room yet. I think the wifi Roomba does room mapping now, but it costs as much as two D80s.

I wanted vera control, or at least smartphone control. But now I don't see much need for it - especially for the substantial amount of extra money. For the price of the Botvac connected or the wifi Roomba we could have gotten a D80 for upstairs and a slightly less expensive model for the basement - and that would be infinitely more useful than being able to start/stop the vacuum from an app or scene.

In the end, we love ours. Perhaps the biggest endorsement I can give is that it has passed the wife-approval-factor and the kids love it.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 05:45:17 pm »
In the end, we love ours. Perhaps the biggest endorsement I can give is that it has passed the wife-approval-factor and the kids love it.

What did you name her?  ;D

Betty has been our maid for the last 1.5 years.

Offline Crm1975

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 08:48:08 pm »
Thanks for the info.   I am leaning towards the 650 at Bed Bath Beyond for $350 out the door.   My house is only a little over 1000 Sq feet and I live alone and no pets so shouldn't have to worry about things being left on the floor.  I only have 2 carpeted rooms and the rest are hardwood or linolium.  And being a nerd, the ability to start my vacuum whenever I want and have it in a "scene" is probably the tipping point.

Does anyone know if the 650 battery runs low and has to recharge, does it remember where it was or does it just start over?

I just got my Vera for Christmas this year so have been reading a lot and watching a ton of Youtubes on setting things up.  I added the PLEG plugin just haven't created any scenes with it yet.  This forum is definitely my first stop for info though.  Thanks again

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 09:02:35 pm »
Thanks for the info.   I am leaning towards the 650 at Bed Bath Beyond for $350 out the door.   My house is only a little over 1000 Sq feet and I live alone and no pets so shouldn't have to worry about things being left on the floor.  I only have 2 carpeted rooms and the rest are hardwood or linolium.  And being a nerd, the ability to start my vacuum whenever I want and have it in a "scene" is probably the tipping point.

Does anyone know if the 650 battery runs low and has to recharge, does it remember where it was or does it just start over?

I just got my Vera for Christmas this year so have been reading a lot and watching a ton of Youtubes on setting things up.  I added the PLEG plugin just haven't created any scenes with it yet.  This forum is definitely my first stop for info though.  Thanks again

The 650 is to stupid to pickup where it left off. I love it and recommend it but I don't want to mislead you. It's STUPID!

So to answer your question no it won't start where it left off. It doesn't know where it even was before or where it is since it doesn't map the house. It just keep bouncing off walls and furniture until the the battery % gets low and then it keeps bouncing and cleaning more until it gets in view of the dock, then the infrared makes contact and guides it back. If you think when it's in another room and battery is low that it's going to magically stop make a u-turn and travel out the door down the hall around the corner and right back to the dock you are sadly mistaking.

With the thinking cleaner that I linked you to earlier you have alot of options that you can't do with it stock including at what % it starts looking for the dock and at what % it just stop completely to not kill the battery so low (bad for the battery). The high % you set for returning to base the better chance it will find the dock before the battery is so low that it just stops dead.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:59:50 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline Crm1975

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 09:47:11 pm »
Cool, thanks.  I think I am going to get the 650 and the Thinking Cleaner attachment @integlikewhoa suggested

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 10:02:31 pm »
Cool, thanks.  I think I am going to get the 650 and the Thinking Cleaner attachment @integlikewhoa suggested

Google the bed bath and beyond coupon if you don't already have one. They are very lenient on it and they even take expired coupons. 20% off comes in the mail all the time here and if you signup for emails on their website they send you one.

should be around 352.00 ish out the door for the 650.

Offline aldera

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 10:29:18 pm »
Yep. @integlikewhoa is right. The 655 battery is an extended life battery not a higher capacity. Sorry about that. It's supposed to last up to twice as long as the 650. That should save you about $30 to $80 on a new battery depending on what quality and capacity battery you buy. Also, the 655 comes with a complete set of additional brushes (side brush, rubber brush and bristle brush) and filter that will save you another $20 or so. I got mine at Costco last month for $299. You can make it wifi like the 650 by adding the Thinking Cleaner attachment, also. Of course, that's an additional $99. Good luck.

Offline Crm1975

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 10:56:28 pm »

Google the bed bath and beyond coupon if you don't already have one. They are very lenient on it and they even take expired coupons. 20% off comes in the mail all the time here and if you signup for emails on their website they send you one.

should be around 352.00 ish out the door for the 650.
Thanks, I think I have a recent mailer laying around.  I may be asking for help setting up the scheduler in PLEG once I have it all setup though.

Offline intveltr

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 05:32:01 am »
Yep. @integlikewhoa is right. The 655 battery is an extended life battery not a higher capacity.

If you settle on a Roomba, I highly recommend getting the aftermarket Li-ion battery for it when the stock battery gives out.  Roomba's batteries aren't of poor quality, but for equipment with a fairly high current draw spending its idle time on the charger all day, NiMH is a terrible choice.  And I can't believe iRobot is still putting them in their vacuums.  I've owned several models up to the 700 series, and the batteries haven't lasted very long on any of them.
HomeWave is available in the App Store!  Turn your iPhone/iPad into an easy-to-use remote control for Vera.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 10:49:54 am »
Yep. @integlikewhoa is right. The 655 battery is an extended life battery not a higher capacity.

If you settle on a Roomba, I highly recommend getting the aftermarket Li-ion battery for it when the stock battery gives out.  Roomba's batteries aren't of poor quality, but for equipment with a fairly high current draw spending its idle time on the charger all day, NiMH is a terrible choice.  And I can't believe iRobot is still putting them in their vacuums.  I've owned several models up to the 700 series, and the batteries haven't lasted very long on any of them.

I got about a year on mine then I felt the run time was dropping below and hour of running when I new before it was over an hour or hour and half. A year into owning my roomba I got the lithium which cost 66.00 on amazon and now run times are over 2 hours. I only had it for 4 months now. 

Offline virtus

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 11:01:23 am »
What did you name her?  ;D

Betty has been our maid for the last 1.5 years.
The kids named him Bee-do since he is shaped like the Minion from Despicable Me 2 that runs around saying "bee-do, bee-do" when there's a fire. Also, the botvac says Neato on it, so he's Bee-do the Neato.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:08:26 am by virtus »