Author Topic: Vera Edge - Neato Botvac Vs Roomba 650 or 770  (Read 7363 times)

Offline aldera

Re: Vera Edge - Neato Botvac Vs Roomba 650 or 770
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 11:33:19 am »

If you settle on a Roomba, I highly recommend getting the aftermarket Li-ion battery for it when the stock battery gives out.  Roomba's batteries aren't of poor quality, but for equipment with a fairly high current draw spending its idle time on the charger all day, NiMH is a terrible choice.  And I can't believe iRobot is still putting them in their vacuums.  I've owned several models up to the 700 series, and the batteries haven't lasted very long on any of them.

Thanks for the info. I've only had it for a month, so hopefully, I won't need the Li-ion for a while.

Offline aldera

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 02:09:33 pm »
@integlikewhoa,

I never even knew there was such a thing as the Thinking Cleaner WiFi until you mentioned it yesterday. I have the 655 and I'm curious what options and features (besides Vera connectivity) you think make it worth the $99 asking price? I mentioned it to my wife and she's cool with it if I think it's worth it. Thanks.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 02:36:08 pm »
@integlikewhoa,

I never even knew there was such a thing as the Thinking Cleaner WiFi until you mentioned it yesterday. I have the 655 and I'm curious what options and features (besides Vera connectivity) you think make it worth the $99 asking price? I mentioned it to my wife and she's cool with it if I think it's worth it. Thanks.

There is actually more then one option. Roowifi was I think the first, but they had some problem with their units, they don't come with a replacement cover to fit the wifi chip. So after some research Thinking Cleaner was a newer and better option. I could be wrong but I think the orginal vera Plugin for roowifi was developed by someone who dropped it and mad the new thinking cleaner one after he switched over himself.

Well let me post some pics of the Web UI to show you the options. There is three pics and 3 tabs that the top, dashboard, schedule, and options. And I'll post some pics of the andriod app I use also. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:39:46 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 03:04:39 pm »
Here is some screen shots of the Andriod APP. It has built in geofence so you can run when you leave, but I use vera since I have more then one person in my house and she might be home even if I'm gone. So using vera give me more control of when everyone is away.

But the app has remote driving (not used much except for goofing off) has all the settings and options. The app has gotten better then a year ago when I first got it. The app can send you push notifications of when it starts, stops, gets stuck, needs bin changed and such.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:06:10 pm by integlikewhoa »

Offline aldera

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 04:12:32 pm »
Here is some screen shots of the Andriod APP. It has built in geofence so you can run when you leave, but I use vera since I have more then one person in my house and she might be home even if I'm gone. So using vera give me more control of when everyone is away.

But the app has remote driving (not used much except for goofing off) has all the settings and options. The app has gotten better then a year ago when I first got it. The app can send you push notifications of when it starts, stops, gets stuck, needs bin changed and such.

I like the idea of it being able to tell me when it gets stuck. So the Roomba 600 series has some kind of sensor in the collection bin that the wifi module can read? That's interesting. Thanks for the info. I think I'll probably give it a try.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 05:35:59 pm »
So the Roomba 600 series has some kind of sensor in the collection bin that the wifi module can read? That's interesting. Thanks for the info. I think I'll probably give it a try.

Sorry, That is a negative I think for all 600 series. That is one of the few upgraded features of the 700 series.

The app and wifi modual you will get with your 600 series fits all roomba's but not all roomba's have the same features available. The wifi modual will fit even the new 700 and 800's series roombas, but the top cover it comes with will not fit and they have not designed a cover that will work for the higher series yet. All the roomba's (unsure of the new 900 series with built in wifi) have a round serial port for factory diganostics and other factory reapairs/reprogramming options. This port is covered over with the top plate of the roomba.  The creators of these wifi chips have designed a small wifi chip that plugs in and gets powered up by this diagnostic port. Unlike Roowifi Thinking cleaner then designed a replacement cover with a hump in it to allow the wifi chip to fit under. Well the new series roombas moved the location of the serial port to under the carrier handle and now more work needs to be done with both the handle and the top cover to make it all fit and look factoryish.

So again the serial port and chip work on mostly all models but only the 500 and 600 have an aftermarket replacement cover to go along with the chip. 

Roowifi skipped this whole making it look pretty thing and you just remove the factory top cover and leave it off. This leaves it looking a bit ugly and the modual you add is exposed on top which could be a problem when the roomba goes under a low object.

Offline aldera

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 05:51:59 pm »
Well, I'll probably still get it. I always empty it and clean the brushes after each use anyway so not knowing how full the bin is, isn't that big of a deal. Thanks.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 06:03:10 pm »
Well, I'll probably still get it. I always empty it and clean the brushes after each use anyway so not knowing how full the bin is, isn't that big of a deal. Thanks.

I empty my bin about every 3 days or so. I let it get really full. If it were to never get stuck on anything it might be cleaned even less. Seems like a good time to dump it when I get home and it's sucked up a shoe lace in the middle of my kids floor. This it gets dumped and put back on the charger.

I only clean the brushes maybe every month and I do a half a** job at that. My brushes were pretty well gone after the year of hard use.

One time my dogs threw up in a back room and I didn't know. Well my wife got to clean the wood floors in that room and the roomba took me an hour to tear apart and clean all the wheels, brushes and stuff out.

She knocked over and shattered a full body mirror that the wife had leaned up against the wall at an angle (a new one is now mounted on the back of a door). Betty just push the bottom right up into the wall until the mirror was full upright and fell over.

My kid knows anything Betty sucks up is trash (I like to think he keeps his toys picked up better). Lego men, nerf gun darts and those sort of things end up in Betty's Bin and the rules are anything in her bin goes in the trash, Except my phone charging cord that is long enough to hit the floor and get tangled up if not up on the counter.

"Betty" has been threw alot in the last 1.5 years and she keeps on going.

Offline Crm1975

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2016, 12:31:02 pm »
OF course, I went to finally purchase the Thinking Cleaner from Amazon and they are all sold out and don't know when they will get more.  They also dropped the price of their Roomba 650 to $337 so it's cheaper for me to buy online vs going to BB&B and using the 20% coupon.  Anyone have another site that sells the thinking cleaner?  If I can't get a thinking cleaner, I see Amazon has the 770 model for $424 and that has a remote control.  Is there an IR plugin or some way to use my Vera to schedule and run the 770 that would be similar to having the model 650 + Thinking Cleaner?  Thanks

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 01:58:13 pm »
OF course, I went to finally purchase the Thinking Cleaner from Amazon and they are all sold out and don't know when they will get more.  They also dropped the price of their Roomba 650 to $337 so it's cheaper for me to buy online vs going to BB&B and using the 20% coupon.  Anyone have another site that sells the thinking cleaner?  If I can't get a thinking cleaner, I see Amazon has the 770 model for $424 and that has a remote control.  Is there an IR plugin or some way to use my Vera to schedule and run the 770 that would be similar to having the model 650 + Thinking Cleaner?  Thanks

When I got mine they were not being sold on AMAZON and I bought directly from http://www.thinkingcleaner.com/ which if you look to the right of the amazon logo is a link http://www.robot-parts.eu/

That's where mine came from. Also Thinking cleaner is a small company and the owner answers fast. I would just email him and ask him the the status. He will know when Amazon is going to get more he also may just give you a discount code to make sure the price directly from him would be the same as through amazon. I think if you check the other link it's like 15.00 with shipping vs. getting it from Amazon with PRIME, but then again probley no tax so it might be the same either way. Took me about a week or a bit more to get it shipped into the states when I got mine over a year ago.

EDIT:

Email to sales@thinkingcleaner.com

Offline Crm1975

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 10:24:52 am »
Thanks, I contacted Thinking Cleaner and they said they just shipped Amazon a new batch so they should be available shortly.

Offline degk273

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2016, 09:40:34 am »
I am looking to get a robot vacuum and the 3 listed in the title seem to be decent models that won't break the bank.  I want to make sure that I will be able to set them up to work with my Veraedge.  Basically hoping the vacuum will clean when no one is home and dock itself and not run when I am home. 

First question is, does anyone have these models and have them setup to work with the Vera?

2nd, if so, is one easier/better to work with than others.  thanks in advance

Few things I would like to clear up from the poster above. 650 vs. 655 doesn't add any longer run time or more capacity to the battery. It is a different type of battery which last longer before needing to trash it an replace it. Think more charging cycles before it is junk not a longer cleaning time each day. The 655 is a renumber to be sold at Costco only. It does offer some newer features which won't make a world of difference but if given the choice for the same price the 655 is slightly better then the 650.

I have a Roomba 650 that you can pick up for around 350.00 out the door with a 20% off a bed bath and beyond.

I have wifi on mine (http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Cleaner-iRobot-international-version/dp/B00ZN6Z7YK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438683366&sr=8-1&keywords=thinking+cleaner) unlike the poster above. There is a vera plugin, there is Andriod Apps and apple apps, there is a web ui to interact with the roomba.

I do not use the built in times to run, I have scenes (PLEG actually) that it runs when we are both gone and battery is 100%. 

I have changed out my battery pack to a Lithium battery back with 4400maH vs. the stock and xtended life both have 3000maH.
(http://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Roomba-Replacement-Battery-iRobot/dp/B00FML2LYK/ref=sr_1_2?s=vacuums&ie=UTF8&qid=1452574820&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=roomba+battery&psc=1)

The 770 doesn't offer any more smarts in cleaning vs. the 650 and the wifi moduals altho work will not work with a stock cover on the roomba and there is no aftermarket covers. So to keep your roomba looking stock and add wifi (since only the new 900.00 980 version has factory wifi built in) stick with the 600 series. The dumbest part about any cheaper unit is the smarts and lack of mapping to evenly cover an area. Unless you get into 700+ range all the vacuums are pretty stupid and basically bounce off walls until the battery gets low then heads for home. This leads to a uneven coverage that is only made up by running several hours a day each day unlike a maid that can clean the whole house in half the time and in one time/day. When you get into the high end models roomba 980 and Botvac? Connected they get smarter by mapping the layout of the house and actually using the real back and forth cleaning pattern similer to a human.

I have never used or seen a Botvac so I can't comment on the actual product or how well it works. I am happy with the roomba, have had it for 1.5 years, it's heald up to two dogs and a now 5 year old kid leaving hair and toys everywhere. I have done those two upgrades on it now and I have replaced the 20.00 replenishment kit (which I suspect I'll do annually). So it cost me around 20-30 a year worth of parts for a genuine irobot kit (http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Roomba-600-Replenishment-Kit/dp/B009W16DHC/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1452575945&sr=1-5&keywords=600+replenishment+kit) it cost less then half for an aftermarket kit. All in all it's met my needs. I like the mapping of the newer 800.00 units but the built in wifi sucks and can't be used with vera anyways. Where my roomba lacks in quality cleaning it makes up in quantity.

Thanks @integlikewhoa for the great summary, and for the Bed Bath and Beyond tip.  I'm finally taking the leap and buying a Roomba 770 from BB&B.  Today it's marked down (USA) to $425, and I'll purchase it with the 20% off in store coupon.  Finally decided to go with the 700 series because of the HEPA filtration.  And my neighbor bought one for Christmas and he's very happy with it.  I will also purchase a Thinking Cleaner adapter from Amazon, beacuse I want the Vera integration.

Here is the final reason for choosing the Roomba 770: On the Thinking Cleaners website, there is this link to a modification to allow the TC to work with the model 700 Roomba's:  http://www.shapeways.com/shops/thinkingbits   I will buy one of these also, and report back on how everything works.  Cheers.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2016, 10:51:35 am »
Here is the final reason for choosing the Roomba 770: On the Thinking Cleaners website, there is this link to a modification to allow the TC to work with the model 700 Roomba's:  http://www.shapeways.com/shops/thinkingbits   I will buy one of these also, and report back on how everything works.  Cheers.

Great info, I was un-aware that there was a cover out for the 700 series and up. That's good news.

Offline Crm1975

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 08:08:37 pm »
Damn, I just charged my 650 and used it.  Had I known about the 700 mod I would have bought that one.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 09:35:19 pm »
Damn, I just charged my 650 and used it.  Had I known about the 700 mod I would have bought that one.

I used my 880 for 2 weeks before I returned it to bed bath and beyond. Its my trial program.