Author Topic: Vera Edge - Neato Botvac Vs Roomba 650 or 770  (Read 7429 times)

Offline degk273

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Vera Edge - Neato Botvac Vs Roomba 650 or 770
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2016, 09:48:26 pm »
Damn, I just charged my 650 and used it.  Had I known about the 700 mod I would have bought that one.

Well, I suspect you made a value decision just like I did.  I didn't want to spend 2x for the latest and greatest Roomba 980.  Nothing at all to feel bad about with either the 650 and 770.  They do the job quite well.  (And I'm disappointed in iRobot's short-sightedness in not publishing the API for the 980.  I find it incomprehensible why they would be afraid of an open API.)  Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:18:10 am by degk273 »

Offline Crm1975

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2016, 10:08:08 pm »
Just boxed up my 650 and plan on taking it back.  Ordered the 770 for pickup tomorrow just in case the price changes on tomorrow since prices usually change Sundays.  It's only $24 more than the 650 and if I can get the Thinking Cleaner to work with the 770 then it just makes sense.  It has more features and I believe is supposed to be easier to clean.  Have to make sure I remeber to take in a 20% off coupon again though.

Offline kendad

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2016, 10:30:59 pm »
Just returned a unit to BB&B last week. Clerk was very helpful and said since I used the 20% coupon for original purchase she would credit it with new purchase. Hope you get same type of service.

Offline degk273

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 04:19:22 pm »
I am looking to get a robot vacuum and the 3 listed in the title seem to be decent models that won't break the bank.  I want to make sure that I will be able to set them up to work with my Veraedge.  Basically hoping the vacuum will clean when no one is home and dock itself and not run when I am home. 

First question is, does anyone have these models and have them setup to work with the Vera?

2nd, if so, is one easier/better to work with than others.  thanks in advance

Few things I would like to clear up from the poster above. 650 vs. 655 doesn't add any longer run time or more capacity to the battery. It is a different type of battery which last longer before needing to trash it an replace it. Think more charging cycles before it is junk not a longer cleaning time each day. The 655 is a renumber to be sold at Costco only. It does offer some newer features which won't make a world of difference but if given the choice for the same price the 655 is slightly better then the 650.

I have a Roomba 650 that you can pick up for around 350.00 out the door with a 20% off a bed bath and beyond.

I have wifi on mine (http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Cleaner-iRobot-international-version/dp/B00ZN6Z7YK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438683366&sr=8-1&keywords=thinking+cleaner) unlike the poster above. There is a vera plugin, there is Andriod Apps and apple apps, there is a web ui to interact with the roomba.

I do not use the built in times to run, I have scenes (PLEG actually) that it runs when we are both gone and battery is 100%. 

I have changed out my battery pack to a Lithium battery back with 4400maH vs. the stock and xtended life both have 3000maH.
(http://www.amazon.com/Lithium-Roomba-Replacement-Battery-iRobot/dp/B00FML2LYK/ref=sr_1_2?s=vacuums&ie=UTF8&qid=1452574820&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=roomba+battery&psc=1)

The 770 doesn't offer any more smarts in cleaning vs. the 650 and the wifi moduals altho work will not work with a stock cover on the roomba and there is no aftermarket covers. So to keep your roomba looking stock and add wifi (since only the new 900.00 980 version has factory wifi built in) stick with the 600 series. The dumbest part about any cheaper unit is the smarts and lack of mapping to evenly cover an area. Unless you get into 700+ range all the vacuums are pretty stupid and basically bounce off walls until the battery gets low then heads for home. This leads to a uneven coverage that is only made up by running several hours a day each day unlike a maid that can clean the whole house in half the time and in one time/day. When you get into the high end models roomba 980 and Botvac? Connected they get smarter by mapping the layout of the house and actually using the real back and forth cleaning pattern similer to a human.

I have never used or seen a Botvac so I can't comment on the actual product or how well it works. I am happy with the roomba, have had it for 1.5 years, it's heald up to two dogs and a now 5 year old kid leaving hair and toys everywhere. I have done those two upgrades on it now and I have replaced the 20.00 replenishment kit (which I suspect I'll do annually). So it cost me around 20-30 a year worth of parts for a genuine irobot kit (http://www.amazon.com/iRobot-Roomba-600-Replenishment-Kit/dp/B009W16DHC/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1452575945&sr=1-5&keywords=600+replenishment+kit) it cost less then half for an aftermarket kit. All in all it's met my needs. I like the mapping of the newer 800.00 units but the built in wifi sucks and can't be used with vera anyways. Where my roomba lacks in quality cleaning it makes up in quantity.

Thanks @integlikewhoa for the great summary, and for the Bed Bath and Beyond tip.  I'm finally taking the leap and buying a Roomba 770 from BB&B.  Today it's marked down (USA) to $425, and I'll purchase it with the 20% off in store coupon.  Finally decided to go with the 700 series because of the HEPA filtration.  And my neighbor bought one for Christmas and he's very happy with it.  I will also purchase a Thinking Cleaner adapter from Amazon, beacuse I want the Vera integration.

Here is the final reason for choosing the Roomba 770: On the Thinking Cleaners website, there is this link to a modification to allow the TC to work with the model 700 Roomba's:  http://www.shapeways.com/shops/thinkingbits   I will buy one of these also, and report back on how everything works.  Cheers.

Well it has been a month since this post, and I finally have my new Roomba 770 up and running on my Veralite.  I purchased both the Thinking Cleaner adapter and the Shapeways cover, and followed the directions on the video from the TC website.  No surprises - the video and photos accurately reflected what steps I had to take.

The only problem that occurred was the Thinking Cleaner app.  Once downloaded to my iPhone, it kept giving me errors when trying to set up the wifi connection to my network.  After six attempts, I finally tried the setup from a browser on my PC, and that worked fine.  The iPhone app works great, and the Thinking Cleaner app on Vera downloaded and set up without any problem.  Still working on my PLEG logic - that will take several days to get my logic bugs worked out.  Cheers.

Offline Crm1975

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2016, 10:22:49 pm »
I also bought the 770, Thinking cleaner and Shapeways piece.  I got it all setup and I can start and stop and dock it, but cannot "drive" it at all.  This isn't a huge deal but every now and then the Roomba seems to get stuck in a tight space and I would like to steer it out,  Anyone else have the Thinking cleaner and get the Driving part to work?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 10:42:45 pm »
I also bought the 770, Thinking cleaner and Shapeways piece.  I got it all setup and I can start and stop and dock it, but cannot "drive" it at all.  This isn't a huge deal but every now and then the Roomba seems to get stuck in a tight space and I would like to steer it out,  Anyone else have the Thinking cleaner and get the Driving part to work?

Driving with the Android app or web browser works for me on my 600 series. The API was all the same so shouldn't matter the model. Have you tried both from the app and web browser?

Offline degk273

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2016, 07:34:19 pm »

I have the 770 and the Thinking Cleaner board plus the Shapeways cover.  I can confirm that the IOS Thinking Cleaner app drives the Roomba remarkably well, as does the web application.  Hope this helps.

Offline Pseudomizer

• Home Automation Expert
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2016, 12:37:59 pm »
Amazon says currently unavailable for thinking cleaner. Their website offers the wifi cover for 500 and 600 series. Where do you get the wifi plate for the 770 please?
Vera 3, RFWC5AW, 2 x LFM-20, FS20Z, 3 x YRD220ZW619KWKD, 2 x FI9826W, FI9828P, 2 x NEST Gen2, EVL-3CG, 11 x BR30, 3 x A19 Hue, Media Srv, 18 x ZW4004, 8 x ZW3003, 12 x ZW2002, IP2IR Cache, 2 x DSC24, ZWN-SC7, 4 x PIR-ZWAVE2, DSB05-ZWUS, RS100-HC, ECO-TILT-US, Ribu1C, 3 x GE12721, 2 x Echo, ZW078-A

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2016, 03:29:47 pm »
Amazon says currently unavailable for thinking cleaner. Their website offers the wifi cover for 500 and 600 series. Where do you get the wifi plate for the 770 please?

A quick google search of what the last poster said found this.
http://www.shapeways.com/product/5BWV9Q4CJ/thinking-cleaner-700-irobot-roomba-7xx-diy-cover

Offline rafale77

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2016, 11:14:23 pm »

A quick google search of what the last poster said found this.
http://www.shapeways.com/product/5BWV9Q4CJ/thinking-cleaner-700-irobot-roomba-7xx-diy-cover

Pretty nice... 3D printed. Looks like it would work with the Roowifi as well.
I personally have had no problems with the Roowifi by the way. Just had to work around two quirks:
It does not like to be set in static IP so you have to let it get assigned an IP by your DHCP server.
The trick is then to set your router to have a reservation for the roowifi mac address, that way it will always be the same IP address. I also connected an antenna to it to resolve the short range problem when the Roomba wanders around.

127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 128 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline Tonia Bond

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2016, 11:18:34 pm »
I've heard really good reviews about roomba robotic vacuums. Now we have Panasonic vacuum cleaner ( https://www.the-vacmaster.ca/panasonic/panasonic-MCCG902/ ) in our home. It has a very good suction and cleans the floor very well, but it is really hard to get hold of it. I have to vacuum with one hand holding a slippery handle. My hand gets tired very soon. So I have told my husband about roomba vacuums. Hope it'll save my cleaning time and will make my work much easier.

Offline davidhoggeman

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 11:36:59 am »
Hello, guys, upping the topic, who knows which of these two robovacs apply to the hardwood floors?  :)

Offline HelgaRegen

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2017, 12:46:03 pm »
Hello, guys, upping the topic, who knows which of these two robovacs apply to the hardwood floors?  :)

Hello, I had roomba once, long ago. 't was 650 model, real trash. The thing did not know what is a hardwood. It scratched the surface without any sucking power  >:( So, if you are looking for vacuum cleaner for the hardwood take a note -- not roomba  :-[

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 06:16:29 pm »

Your probley should watch some youtube reviews and see them in action. I have had more then one roomba (650 and 960) and my house has the living room real hardwood, kitchen and bathrooms are tile, one bedroom is carpet and the rest is a laminate (snap in hardwood) flooring. I have two short haired dogs that stay inside and The roombas work great for vacuuming. But the hard floors still need a damp mop to clean up as "vacuum only" doesn't shine a floor.

I'm not sure what kind of problems the last person had but for a vacuum I think it works well, just not a damp mop replacement. 

Offline davidhoggeman

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2017, 01:38:26 pm »

Your probley should watch some youtube reviews and see them in action. I have had more then one roomba (650 and 960) and my house has the living room real hardwood, kitchen and bathrooms are tile, one bedroom is carpet and the rest is a laminate (snap in hardwood) flooring. I have two short haired dogs that stay inside and The roombas work great for vacuuming. But the hard floors still need a damp mop to clean up as "vacuum only" doesn't shine a floor.

I'm not sure what kind of problems the last person had but for a vacuum I think it works well, just not a damp mop replacement.

I'm grateful for your answers  :) I don't know what HelgaRegen's problem was too  ;D But in my opinion, Roombas are almost perfect vacuums, for there are many positive reviews :) I should watch some videos, not only articles. Thaks for the advice  :D