We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: USB z-Wave Adapator  (Read 1784 times)

Offline daemondazz

USB z-Wave Adapator
« on: January 12, 2016, 05:57:00 pm »
What's needed to get a USB z-Wave adaptor working?

I see in the openLuup manual there's a note about working with a workaround - what is that workaround?

What would be needed to get native support running? Happy to do some coding/work on this but a pointer on where to get started would be appreciated!

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Control Systems
Re: USB z-Wave Adapator
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:36:22 pm »
Although I haven't tried it, Z Wave-Me advised that it should interface directly with Z Wave-Me software.

There is a Z wave daughter board coming on the market soon (mid Jan, so it isn't to far away for all of those RP2 fans) , this one plugs directly into a Raspberry Pi 2 board.

Having just checked through the Z Wave-Me USB, I found that it comes with windows drivers, not sure if it helps
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline daemondazz

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 09:00:07 pm »
The RPi board looks pretty similar to the Razberry.

The issue with any hardware device is that openLuup doesn't have any support for the low-level serial commands these devices present. That's what I want to help out with.

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 12:39:25 pm »
Take a look at my comments here http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,32315.msg250459.html#msg250459

This will need a fair amount of coding to get to work.  Bottom line: at the moment Vera IS the USB stick for openLuup.

I really would like to have alternatives, but unless someone else has a lot of time to put in, it's going to take a while.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline Brientim

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 02:43:15 pm »
A very similar question/statement came up about Openhab and @gussed proved a vera good response on why to retain Vera as the z-wave gateway currently.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,35447.msg261761.html#msg261761

Offline daemondazz

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 05:38:27 am »
Thanks for the responses guys, I guess I'll keep looking at it.

My main reason for wanting to take the Vera out of the loop is that I currently don't own one (I'm borrowing a Vera 2 that I'll need to return).

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 10:40:49 pm »
With the customer satisfaction being what it is, you could probably find a Vera Lite (or even an Edge) for less than $50.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Let me know where u can find an edge for 50.00? I know several people that would take one at that price. Even a lite although i wouldn't take a lite due to Ram for my use.