Author Topic: iCal  (Read 5295 times)

Offline powisquare

iCal
« on: January 25, 2016, 11:53:07 am »
Hello Stuart,

Just discovered the calendars I use are in fact ical feeds. Would it still be possible to set GCal up, perhaps as a read only instance? I can get the info <iframe to </iframe> just will not be able to share. Thanks!

Offline Stuart

Re: iCal
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 08:40:35 am »
The short answer is 'probably'.  The slightly longer answer is it depends somewhat on how the iCal was set up.   Take a look at the instructions in the very top post.

Offline powisquare

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:17:50 pm »
Thanks Stuart. I am unable to Share the calendar and thus link to google service account. Is this a problem or can I forget this step? I seem to be stuck in bypass mode but the link works if i paste into a browser.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 01:09:51 pm »
Stuck in bypass mode ?  Should only happen if the plugin is not armed.

Offline powisquare

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 01:24:43 pm »
Progress! Now getting Access or Calendar Error .. Thanks for your patience Stuart.

Offline powisquare

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:36:29 pm »
Is there a time limit for Gcal to get a response? I am on satellite broadband and with this weather it is quite slow.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 04:32:27 pm »
The standard timeout is 30s which should be more than enough.

The "access or calendar error" WAS a high level error message that I've removed in recent patches (but not in the latest formal release) as it was over writing the actual error message.

Try this version and we should get close to seeing the real issue.  Note that we may have to get a log file as well.

EDIT: Attachment Removed
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:27:35 pm by Stuart »

Offline powisquare

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 05:21:07 pm »
Yup still no luck. error 404. Tried the Miami Heats also and had the same result. Even remembered to change "&" too!

Offline Stuart

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 11:34:41 pm »
I suspect you have a typo or something. Error 404 usually means that the url could not be found.

Try the following:
(1) make sure the plugin is armed
(2) cut and paste this into the Calendar ID input on the Control Tab

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/calendar/htmlembed?src=nba_14_%254diami%2B%2548eat%23sports%40group.v.calendar.google.com
&ctz=America/Denver" style="border: 0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

(3) click on "Set"

You mentioned above that you were using an iCal -- the plugin does not use credentials to get at an ical (with the url in a form something like https://www.abc123.com/calendar/ical/....).  This is because the iCal calendar must be public in order to be used.  This is DIFFERENT than if you access an iCal through your google calendar in which case it is given an alias url by google and accessed in the normal manner (with credentials).

If you IM me the actual Calendar url's you are using (assuming an iCal) - I can take a look.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:24:59 am by Stuart »

Offline powisquare

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 03:49:50 am »
Thanks for this Stuart. Your link appears to work showing no more events today. I have noticed a popup on google calendar advising my calendar is not public. I have PMd you with the link as it does open in a browser.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 02:44:54 pm »
So several things to note.  If you calendar is in fact a google calendar (or linked to another calendar -- even an iCal) you need to share this calendar with your service account.  This is the case with the url's you shared via IM.  The instructions for sharing are in the service account instructions in the link below (first post of the main topic).  In your case - the 404 error suggest that you have not shared the calendar with the service account or you have not created the service account properly.  I just went through the instructions and except for a typo (which I fixed) - the instructions are accurate.  It's likely quicker for you to go back and redo these steps.

If your calendar is just some ordinary iCal (not linked via google) then there are no credentials involved (but obviously that calendar would have to be public).

I just added a test credentials file and test calendar ID that can be used to prove that the plugin is working properly.  See the Debugging section on the first post.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=26692.msg189513#msg189513

Offline powisquare

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 04:13:09 pm »
Going back to my original post am unsure if I am able to share this calendar. Thanks for you time, I will have to have a rethink.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 04:50:34 pm »
Can you see your calendar in calendar.google.com ? 

Offline powisquare

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 05:37:33 pm »
Yes I can. I have logged out of google and the calendar displays correctly.

Offline Stuart

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 06:05:46 pm »
I just thought of something that MAY be to do with the calendar url you are trying to access.  I unfortunately deleted your previous IM.  Would you mind resending ?  It's POSSIBLE that there is a google url variant that I am not handling.  It's been trial and error since there does not seem to be a published list of all the variations anywhere.