We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera Plus intermittently failing with claims that various devices are offline  (Read 313 times)

Offline michaeljf

I've had my Vera Plus for a few years and haven't experienced any noteworthy issues.  However, lately I am finding that devices intermittently claim to be offline then shortly after return with an "online" message.  It isn't the same device all the time so I know the devices aren't the cause of the issue.  What's interesting is that the issue only seems to occur against the two devices closest to the Vera hub.  One of the devices is a Kwikset doorlock and the other a GE outlet. 

o  Both devices are within 20 feet of the hub.
   o  Power to hub is stable (and connected to a backup power supply)
   o  Network and net devices are stable (no sign of issues)

See attached example.  In this case, the door lock was offline for 2 hours.  In that two hour period nothing changed.  Meaning, no devices were access, the hub was accessed, etc. Basically the system was idle, but the device just went offline then two hours later came back up.

It would be really helpful if the Vera interface/webpage had a log viewer.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Offline Don Phillips

I use this URL to look at my log: http://Vera_IP/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
It looks like polling of these devices is failing. I doubt that you will find much else from the logs. What has recently changed? Did you add more devices to your setup? I am guessing here that your zwave network got too busy at the time of these polls either due to other zwave concurring events and because of some interference somewhere in the network causing the polls to require a retry. I personally disabled polling on my network. It is only useful for some old devices so I allow my devices to wake up and report updates on their own. That being said, it appears to me that vera is still polling some devices due to the individual device polling parameter. Hope this gives you some direction as to what to look at.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline michaeljf

No new hardware has been added added or removed in over a year.  No configuration changes have been made.  I did apply the firmware (Vera) update that came out mid-last year.  I try to keep the firmware current.  I updated to 1.7.4001, I believe when it was released in July or August.  Although this problem didn't start immediately after updating, I am certainly becoming suspicious of this update since I didn't have this problem at all before the update.

For now, I have disabled polling (set to 0) and things seem to be better, but because the problem is intermittent I won't claim it solved.  Regardless, I don't see this as a "solution", but rather a work-around.  The root cause should probably be investigated and corrected if it is a firmware issue.

Mike

Offline michaeljf

I use this URL to look at my log: http://Vera_IP/cgi-bin/cmh/log.sh?Device=LuaUPnP

Even though log output may not help for this type of issue, I still stand by my suggestion that the web (and mobile) interface should have a log viewer and log clearing feature.  And although the URL Don mentioned does work, it doesn't help when outside my network.  It would be nice to have the ability to troubleshoot while away, for example if there is a failure and you don't expect to be returning soon you may be able to identify the root cause and possibly correct it remotely if you understood the issue.

Thank you for the tip.  I'll bookmark it.

Offline Catman

AltUI can be accessed remotely and has some log search commands (amongst other things)
I'm assuming you don't have another box on your network you can log into via (for example) SSH or Teamviewer which can be regarded as at least reasonably secure and give you jump access to the Vera?

C

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
Actually for your locks, I highly recommend not to poll them... will save some battery and latency on your network. They are defined as FLIRS.. always listening devices so they really do not need to be polled. They will send status updates on their own.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:38:45 am by rafale77 »
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.