Author Topic: WiFi on Vera Plus (Resolved)  (Read 15198 times)

Offline u20111223

• Sr. Newbie
Re: WiFi on Vera Plus
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 02:41:27 pm »
Sometimes it's best to have Vera right next to the Z-Wave device that is being paired.

This is one of the compelling reasons to have it.  One problem with VeraPlus and maybe others is that with no wifi you can't get the device in exclusion mode and remove the devices if they are far away.  I suppose you could cobble up a wireline Ethernet adapter then move it around the house.

What I ended up doing in the absence of wifi is to use the old Vera2 battery pack.  Power up VeraPlus connected to the Ethernet.  Select delete/unpair, wait for the 60 second countdown timer, then disconnect the Ethernet and take it next to the device you are removing.  Keep it there for 1-2 minutes then reconnect it to the Ethernet.  Not ideal, but it is a workaround.  If you have devices that are having trouble and they are far away, you have to take Vera next to the device.  I have found no other way around it.

Offline u20111223

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »
I suggest that you log your request for this feature with them as the more people that request it, the sooner it may happen.

Not sure I can agree that this is a feature enhancement as must as I view it as a feature omission in order to ship the product.  I'd like to see this addressed soon so we would be at parity with previous products.  Personally, I wish I had just stayed with VeraEdge.  The only benefit that I've seen with VeraPlus so far is the speed.  Hopefully the firmware releases will appear more regularly and they can get this working.

Here's the case #161312 for the WiFi client issue.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 04:05:52 pm »
It is advertised that WiFi is supported; with WiFi certification logos on the box. ....so it's something new customers buying this would expect to work.
This is a perfectly legitimate complaint. The complete absence of a feature advertised on the box should never have been allowed to ship. Since it has shipped, it should be a topmost priority for Vera Ltd. to get the feature implemented immediately. I see a lot of unreasonable whinging on the forums, but this is a completely indefensible omission on the part of Vera Ltd.

Vera edge has no pairing buttons; so it would have to be set into pairing mode from a web browser./quote]This is incorrect. EVERY Vera including the Edge and the Plus have pairing buttons. While it may be easier to include via a browser, it is not a requirement for any Vera. Vera Edge/Plus can be plugged in next to the Z-Wave device, press the Include(paring) button on Vera and press the Include button on the device.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 04:51:15 pm »
It is advertised that WiFi is supported; with WiFi certification logos on the box. ....so it's something new customers buying this would expect to work.
This is a perfectly legitimate complaint. The complete absence of a feature advertised on the box should never have been allowed to ship. Since it has shipped, it should be a topmost priority for Vera Ltd. to get the feature implemented immediately. I see a lot of unreasonable whinging on the forums, but this is a completely indefensible omission on the part of Vera Ltd.

Vera edge has no pairing buttons; so it would have to be set into pairing mode from a web browser./quote]This is incorrect. EVERY Vera including the Edge and the Plus have pairing buttons. While it may be easier to include via a browser, it is not a requirement for any Vera. Vera Edge/Plus can be plugged in next to the Z-Wave device, press the Include(paring) button on Vera and press the Include button on the device.

Devils advocate - Wifi is supported. The plus can act as a wifi hub. Perhaps this is not what you want but I am sure it could be argued.

Also, We have already seen that Vera are happy to offer people their money back if they are not happy with their purchase. (One buyer had his order cancelled from under him). Arguing that they have broken their contract will not win popularity contests
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2016, 06:30:07 pm »
This is one of the compelling reasons to have it.  One problem with VeraPlus and maybe others is that with no wifi you can't get the device in exclusion mode and remove the devices if they are far away. 

This is untrue. you don't need wifi to include and exclude devices. There is buttons on the side of the device to do this. The zwave light blinks fast and slow depending on which mode your in.

You only need internet to the vera during this process if your trying to use a web UI to do it. And even then you can turn wifi on your vera and connect your laptop or phone to the wireless of the vera and access it. 

Offline u20111223

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2016, 07:10:46 pm »
you don't need wifi to include and exclude devices. There is buttons on the side of the device to do this. The zwave light blinks fast and slow depending on which mode your in.

You only need internet to the vera during this process if your trying to use a web UI to do it. And even then you can turn wifi on your vera and connect your laptop or phone to the wireless of the vera and access it.

Good to know.  That never even occurred to me.  I did play around with getting a getty running over the Bluetooth though.  My preference is still to use the wifi client to connect it to my network.  You would have saved me hours this weekend with that solution.  I think I've reset my entire unit no less than 20 times playing with the wifi driver.  Good thing it has a hard reset button.

Online dzmiller

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 02:54:11 pm »
After 3 years with the Lite on a wireless connection and not a single issue <knocks on wood>, I'll stick with the wireless route.

I agree that these devices should work well on wifi. it's best to place the device optimally for zwave. That location may often be away from the router.

Offline tjtrolinger

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 03:03:11 pm »
I am new and just received my VeraPlus.
Everything was going great until I realized VeraPlus cannot connect to my network using Wifi.
I plan to connect the VeraPlus to my alarm system using AD2USB which will be hard wired to the alarm panel and connects to the Vera USB port. However, I have no wired ethernet near my alarm panel.
I feel a  mislead that it was not made clear in the marketing information that out of the box, the VeraPlus could only connect to the users network via wired ethernet.
I agree with others here that this feature should be made a priority!
TJ

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 05:28:44 pm »
I am new and just received my VeraPlus.
Everything was going great until I realized VeraPlus cannot connect to my network using Wifi.
I plan to connect the VeraPlus to my alarm system using AD2USB which will be hard wired to the alarm panel and connects to the Vera USB port. However, I have no wired ethernet near my alarm panel.
I feel a  mislead that it was not made clear in the marketing information that out of the box, the VeraPlus could only connect to the users network via wired ethernet.
I agree with others here that this feature should be made a priority!
TJ

Looks like its time to run some cat5e and the envisalink evl-4 gives your alarm panel connect alot more options.

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 08:20:38 pm »
Resurrecting this one... I have finally had some time to phase out Vera3 and VeraEdge to be 100% on one VeraPlus. I want to use wifi to connect to my LAN instead of Cat5/6.

I figured by now it would be in the latest firmware but ... no?

Did I miss it?

If not, when is this being added?

Suffering with UI7 / VeraPlus.... Hoping to turn a corner soon.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 08:04:23 am »
You figured wrong.

The ability for UI7 Veras to operate in WiFi Client mode is still not an option. You can't configure 5GHz 802.11a mode either. If you are adept with Linux you can probably get it going through the command line. Although, I haven't looked into this, so I'm not sure all the pieces are there.

Offline chuck1026

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2016, 11:22:06 am »
You figured wrong.

The ability for UI7 Veras to operate in WiFi Client mode is still not an option. You can't configure 5GHz 802.11a mode either. If you are adept with Linux you can probably get it going through the command line. Although, I haven't looked into this, so I'm not sure all the pieces are there.

I am really close to taking my 4 years of Vera, excluding all of the devices, boxing up and selling the Vera controllers and trying somebody else's gateway... Red faced mad at the moment. Going over to Facebook to rattle Marc as he seems to be able to get our message thru most of the time.
Suffering with UI7 / VeraPlus.... Hoping to turn a corner soon.

Offline hax0rmort

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2016, 01:31:13 am »
I wouldn't waste your time.   

Offline cb4

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 09:16:36 pm »
Just bought my first set of z-wave outlets - going to use them to control Christmas lights inside the house. How the hell am I supposed to get my vera plus within 10ft of a z-wave outlet so I can pair it if I can't use wifi??? I have cat6 run to every room in my house, but not necessarily within 10ft of every outlet!!!

Without wifi, Vera engineering is telling me I have to uninstall an outlet near my router (the Vera is plugged in there), install the z-wave outlet, pair, uninstall the z-wave outlet, re-install the original outlet, and finally install the z-wave outlet in its correct location. Does anyone else think this is *ridiculous*? I'm a computer engineer. Adding client wifi support can *not* be that hard.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 11:46:09 pm »
Just bought my first set of z-wave outlets - going to use them to control Christmas lights inside the house. How the hell am I supposed to get my vera plus within 10ft of a z-wave outlet so I can pair it if I can't use wifi??? I have cat6 run to every room in my house, but not necessarily within 10ft of every outlet!!!

Without wifi, Vera engineering is telling me I have to uninstall an outlet near my router (the Vera is plugged in there), install the z-wave outlet, pair, uninstall the z-wave outlet, re-install the original outlet, and finally install the z-wave outlet in its correct location. Does anyone else think this is *ridiculous*? I'm a computer engineer. Adding client wifi support can *not* be that hard.

Where do you come up with 10ft? Devices can communicate alot further then 10ft. Some security devices like door locks need to be closer but even then more then 10ft can work. In smaller houses 1500sf or less single story houses, I can almost include every light switch in the house without moving the controller even once. If your using newer z-wave plus devices they can included threw the mesh at even further distances. start with closer devices and move out.