Author Topic: WiFi on Vera Plus (Resolved)  (Read 15088 times)

Offline shallowearth

Re: WiFi on Vera Plus
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2016, 12:38:23 am »
Just get of of these guys https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UAKCS6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or something similar to connect your Vera to Wi-fi been running my Vera Edge for 2 years this way, network connect has been completely solid.

You other option would be to get one of those power line adapters to run a network connection through your outlets to your location(though probably more expensive)

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2016, 09:42:25 am »
How the hell am I supposed to get my vera plus within 10ft of a z-wave outlet so I can pair it if I can't use wifi???...

...I'm a computer engineer.
If you can't answer the above question yourself, with several easy and viable options, then I'd have to say that you aren't a very good computer engineer(whatever that is exactly).

You could use a long ethernet cable.
You could include the outlet before installing it to a remote location.
You could try including in situ, even if it does exceed 10 feet.
You could use a WiFi bridge such as the TP-Link N300
You could set a manual IP address and plug a laptop into the Vera directly.
You could connect a tablet/laptop/desktop as a client to the Vera AP network and configure that way.

Or, you could just plug Vera into the outlet(for power) and then use the pairing buttons on Vera to include the outlet into Vera.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2016, 11:44:53 am »
How the hell am I supposed to get my vera plus within 10ft of a z-wave outlet so I can pair it if I can't use wifi???...

...I'm a computer engineer.
If you can't answer the above question yourself, with several easy and viable options, then I'd have to say that you aren't a very good computer engineer(whatever that is exactly).

Ahahahaha

Maybe, they just normally call network engineers to move their computers 10ft over.  ;D

Offline jswim788

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2016, 12:48:33 pm »
In fairness to Vera, this is somewhat a limitation of the Z-wave protocol.  And that is corrected in the Z-wave Plus where it allows network wide inclusion.  Although I'm curious to know how well that works in a mixed network which is what most of us will have.  So far I've gotten away with the "just include it anyway even though the controller is more than 10 feet away" but sooner or later I will probably need the very long Ethernet cable approach.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2016, 12:27:38 pm »
In fairness to Vera, this is somewhat a limitation of the Z-wave protocol. 

I see where your trying to go with this but really the thread started asking about why WiFi Client mode doesn't work like it should or like it worked on older veras. That is totally VERA's fault. Limitation of z-wave range or inclusion range is a different issue and yes that is changing but no thanks to Vera.

And that is corrected in the Z-wave Plus where it allows network wide inclusion.  Although I'm curious to know how well that works in a mixed network which is what most of us will have.  So far I've gotten away with the "just include it anyway even though the controller is more than 10 feet away" but sooner or later I will probably need the very long Ethernet cable approach.

10ft wouldn't even reach across my smaller bedrooms in the house and my experience (even with my kwikset 910 door locks) I have not had to be any closer then 40-50 plus feet to include devices my self. Detached garages I have had to move closer to include but thats about it. Biggest thing has always been veras instructions recommending you to come within 3ft to include, which some people try to follow to the "T" even if it isn't always needed. Other thing is vera has always had buttons on the device to manually inlcude without a network wire or wireless connected. But it's not as nice or easy to use that so people don;t like that solution either.

Offline Peren

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2016, 06:21:51 am »
Hi

I tired of this product (VeraPlus) not living up to what they say it can do.
Will be back to my house in a week and the this I will not swear will be shipped back.

Missing the wifi!!! (Also missing time stamp on sensor and the latest values which my earlier simple 20$ controller did,)

Offline gregreid

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2017, 08:09:02 pm »
I received a VeraPlus today as an upgrade to my old trusty Vera3 ... and then found out that it doesn't support a WiFi connection to my access point?!?!?  This is an upgrade?????

It took me a while to find this forum and see that Vera developers were talking back in Feb 2016 that this connectivity would be "coming soon".  Here we are 14 months later and still nada.

As others have noted, I have a mixed bag of mostly older Zwave devices.  In fact I have only 10 Zwave+ devices (new Bali motorized blinds) that were the reason for my upgrade to a Zwave+ capable controller.  To pair the older devices, I need to have my controller within a few feet.  This was convenient with the WiFi connectivity of the Vera controller to my AP.  Geesh, some of these devices are a long long way away. 

And the most central point of my house for my Zwave devices is a room where I do not have an ethernet cable running.  I'm either going to have to run a long ethernet cable to that room, or relocate the VeraPlus.  But I simply don't have another ethernet PORT available on either of my routers.  They're all used by home theater related gizmos.  Dammit. 

Miffed,
     Greg

Offline Peren

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 08:35:47 am »
This is a must have feature for me to!

So tierd of Vera always answer this with, coming soon!

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 01:11:16 pm »
Just connect your Laptop the Vera  Wifi  ... not your home Wifi.
You can move your Vera Plus around to do the exclude/include dance which is a pain on UI7 if you need to exclude first (you have to wait for the include to fail!)

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 09:09:28 am »
Yup, that's what I said.
You could connect a tablet/laptop/desktop as a client to the Vera AP network and configure that way.

Also,
a pain on UI7 if you need to exclude first (you have to wait for the include to fail!)
It's completely unintuitive, but it turns out that you don't have to wait. If you click Next, without waiting, it immediately takes you from Include to Exclude mode.

Offline ALcALoIDe

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2017, 11:02:33 am »
So, after installing everything, one may assume that you can turn veraplus wifi off?
Vera Plus UI7 and lots of zwave devices

Offline gregreid

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2017, 09:55:59 am »
So, after installing everything, one may assume that you can turn veraplus wifi off?

Yup, that's what I've done.  Turned off the VeraPlus WiFi 'coz it's not offering anything for my needs.  I don't have any WiFi home automation devices; all ZWave.

For my VeraPlus connectivity, I blew the dust off an old TP-Link TL-WA860RE (WiFi range extender) and installed it in the Office.  This is where my Vera is more centrally located to all of the ZWave devices it controls, but where I don't yet have an ethernet cable run.  The range extender connects to my usual GregsWifi access point and rebroadcasts a GregsWifi_Office.  It also provides for a single ethernet port, which I use to connect my VeraPlus.  So now I effectively have WiFi connectivity to my VeraPlus (as I had with my Vera 3 without resorting to tricks), and I can carry around my VeraPlus (tethered to the range extender) if need be.  It'll be nice when Vera finally enables the capability for the VeraPlus to directly connect to my access point, but this is a workable circumvention for me.

Greg

Offline Peren

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 05:08:04 am »
New Firmware out but still no WiFi connectivity for VeraPLus. This sucks!!!

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 10:26:10 am »

Get used to it. Plus has been out for along time and been promised since it was released. See the other post you already made this comment in.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 02:12:55 pm »

Hello there,

Actually client mode for VeraPlus has made it's way in yesterday's release.

- WiFi client for Vera Plus/G450

https://goo.gl/r4iuQT
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm