Author Topic: VeraPlus - Bluetooth Devices  (Read 10546 times)

Offline Domoworking

Re: VeraPlus - Bluetooth Devices
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2018, 06:30:15 pm »
I still have 9 days to return my Vera Plus with Amazon.
I choose this device because the datasheet was say it was able to handle zwave, zigbee and Bluetooth.
I already own a raspberry with an aeotec zwave gen5 usb stick, so if I have to use software like home assistant to aggregate several controllers, I do not really need Vera plus. Am I wrong?

Offline jeubanks

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2018, 11:54:59 pm »
I have tried them all and here's my opinion for what it's worth.

Vera Pro's:
Good Z-wave controller
ehh, somewhat ok Zigbee support
Local "Scenes" for automation
Better PLEG Plugin for automation
PLEG is VERY powerful
Great HTTP API Interface
Works as a GREAT Z-wave controller for things like Home Assistant

Vera Con's:
Limited Zigbee support
NO Bluetooth (but really? I don't care)
NO Wifi device support (would be nice with new devices ie wemo, tp-link etc)
Limited Plugin support for new devices
App store is horribly out of date of what actually works and makes finding working plugins hard
Native Scenes are VERY limited and you will require PLEG for anything useful
PLEG is VERY Powerful, which also means complex.
Horrible Web User Interface

Basics:  If you are thinking of Home Assistant, keep the Vera because you will need a z-wave controller and with Vera you get the bonus of also have a Zigbee controller all in one. 

If you are thinking of anything other than Home Assistant then return the Vera and you'll have to figure out a workable solution for your needs.  Suggestion is really to pick your PRIMARY technology whether it be Z-wave, Zigbee, Insteon, UPB, X10, Bluetooth etc etc and choose a controller for that PRIMARY tech.  Then you will be happy and can always add to that (if whatever software you use supports addons).

Offline kwieto

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 04:09:02 am »
NO Wifi device support (would be nice with new devices ie wemo, tp-link etc)

That's only partially true. You can have WiFi devices support via plugins, although it is a matter of luck if someone will integrate device you're interested in (if you have enough skills, you can try to do it by yourself).
For example there is plugin for WeMo, and it works more-or-less fine with switches. There is plugin for Netatmo Weatherstation or thermostat device, but you don't have support for Netatmo cameras.
Broadlink RM plugin has a long story (first plugin was removed by developer, then the project was re-started by someone else), and so on, and so on.

As a pro's I would count that Vera is standalone solution, not a software installed on some computer OS, which makes it probably less troublesome at remote locations.

Offline Domoworking

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2018, 07:59:05 am »
I have tried them all and here's my opinion for what it's worth.

Vera Pro's:
Good Z-wave controller
ehh, somewhat ok Zigbee support
Local "Scenes" for automation
Better PLEG Plugin for automation
PLEG is VERY powerful
Great HTTP API Interface
Works as a GREAT Z-wave controller for things like Home Assistant

Basics:  If you are thinking of Home Assistant, keep the Vera because you will need a z-wave controller and with Vera you get the bonus of also have a Zigbee controller all in one. 

If you are thinking of anything other than Home Assistant then return the Vera and you'll have to figure out a workable solution for your needs.  Suggestion is really to pick your PRIMARY technology whether it be Z-wave, Zigbee, Insteon, UPB, X10, Bluetooth etc etc and choose a controller for that PRIMARY tech.  Then you will be happy and can always add to that (if whatever software you use supports addons).

So you would reccomend Vera agains a Aeotech USB Z-Stick with HA....
But is Vera Plus worth the price difference against Vera Edge for this purpose?