Author Topic: How do we add new devices to VeraPlus?  (Read 20861 times)

Offline jumper4000

How do we add new devices to VeraPlus?
« on: February 22, 2016, 03:34:24 am »
Hi, does the VeraPlus have the include/exclude buttons too (like VeraLite does)? I don't see them. Also, how would I take it to my light switches that are across the house? I don't see a battery compartment and when I unplug it, it goes off.

Thanks

Offline Slartibartfast

Re: How do we add new devices to VeraPlus?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:15:37 am »
The devices page has an add devices button. To exclude, you go to include and then do retry after which it changes to exclude mode.

For light switches you should have no problem leaving the Plus where it is (it worked for me all over the house).

For battery and secure devices, I suggest a long network cable.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline jumper4000

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:34:55 am »
Really?? I need a long cable? Some of these devices are 2 or 3 hundred feet away. I have some older Intermatic CA600 dimmers which have disconnected from the network. I tried adding one of them with the VeraPlus in its place, but it didn't work, so it looks like I need to take VeraPlus closer to the switch, but they're pretty far away. So there's no way to easily take the Vera closer to these devices? Without having a 300 foot ethernet cable and power cord?

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:45:53 am »
You will see a number of posts that show that connecting the plus via wi-fi is not currently available. It took some time for the Edge to gain this functionality but the more people that request for the Edge the quicker it is likely to happen (don't hold your breath though).
Power at the remote location should be no problem. AFAIK you need to get a LAN connection to the remote location. Others may tell me I am wrong though.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 10:00:38 am »
There are two buttons on the side of the Vera Plus. One is for pairing Zigbee and the other is for Include/Exclude of Z-Wave devices.

Neither the Vera Edge nor the Vera Plus have batteries or battery packs. They are supposed to be powered by their mains power brick. I'm sure that some people might have or rig up a 12VDC battery power supply, but it's not really necessary.

If your Z-Wave network cannot provide Network Wide Inclusion, such as might occur with legacy Z-Wave devices like the CA600, you will need to relocate Vera closer to the switch for Inclusion.

With a long network cable, you can perform the Inclusion from within the Vera GUI and more easily monitor the Inclusion progress. The ability to see what is going on is beneficial as some people simple do not seem to be able to get the inclusion process working with button presses alone, despite this not being a Vera issue.

If you cannot  or do not choose to use a long network cable; you can plug the Vera Plus into the wall near the device you are including and press the Include/Exclude button. This is exactly like you've always been able to do with every Vera ever. Press the include button on Vera, trigger the include process on the device(see device manual), lights blink rapidly and you're done. When a Z-Wave device fails to include, exclude it first, the process is usually the same, but may vary depending on the Z-Wave device(see device manual).

Offline jjessop

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 12:14:39 pm »
Suggest you take a router with external antenna's and put it in bridge mode then plug the Vera Ethernet into that.  With an extension cord, power strip and your laptop you can pair everything up quickly.

Had to re-pair all my CA3500 Intermatic wall outlets this weekend after a power outage and it was super quick. I have a VeraEdge (miss my Lite) but I use it wired only for reliability and using a bridge makes it quick and with longer range.

Jerry   

Offline jumper4000

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 03:47:50 pm »
Thanks guys, I ended up ordering a 100ft CAT6 cable and a 100ft power cord. Thanks to Amazon's same day delivery, they'll be here tonight. That should cover most of the inside of the house. Luckily I don't have too many of those crappy Intermatics in the back yard. A battery option in the VeraPlus would have been pretty useful though.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 08:39:13 am »
Thanks guys, I ended up ordering a 100ft CAT6 cable and a 100ft power cord. Thanks to Amazon's same day delivery, they'll be here tonight. That should cover most of the inside of the house. Luckily I don't have too many of those crappy Intermatics in the back yard. A battery option in the VeraPlus would have been pretty useful though.
Such options are  already plentiful. 12V DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack.

But, as I already stated, it's not needed with the Vera Edge or Vera Plus. Just plug Vera into an outlet near teh Z-Wave device and press the Vera Plus' Include button.

Offline Dtutwiler

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 12:56:20 pm »
My VeraPlus has two buttons SELECT and SYNC. I am assuming we SELECT until we get the Z wave LED lit then SYNC?  I hae to bring my Veraplus to the location of my three outdoor light switches as they will not show up with it sitting in the closet near the smart panel

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 01:07:01 pm »
That's right. You should be done by now.

Be aware that when you return Vera to her original location, she will likely not know how to get to your newly included switch. You'll either need to wait for the nightly heal ot try the following code.

Warning: I've not tested it on a Vera Plus.

http://<YourVeraIP>:3480/data_request?id=lu_action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1&action=HealNetwork&BatteryMinutes=30&StressCycles=2&StartStage=1&StopStage=3

This Lua code accomplishes the same task.
Code: [Select]

-- Initiate Z-Wave network heal.
-- Intended for starting heal after adding new devices.

-- Depending on the size of your network, a heal can take a very long time.

local URN  = "urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1"
local ACT  = "HealNetwork"
local BATT = {BatteryMinutes=30}  -- Default 30. Nightly 60.
local ITR  = {StressCycles=2}     -- Default probably ample.
local START= {StartStage=1}       
local STOP = {StopStage=3}        -- Default 7. UI7.10 or greater probably needs to go no further than 3.

luup.call_action(URN, ACT, BATT, ITR, START, STOP)

Using the  above request or luup code will mess up the mesh network and nodes will stop working correctly. This method is in contradiction to our currently implemented Z-Wave healing process that updates the route and lets the chip itself manage the routing table as opposed to the previous method where the gateway kept the routing table.
  - Vera official

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:42:25 pm by Sorin »

Offline dzmiller

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 08:44:18 am »
My VeraPlus has two buttons SELECT and SYNC. I am assuming we SELECT until we get the Z wave LED lit then SYNC?  I hae to bring my Veraplus to the location of my three outdoor light switches as they will not show up with it sitting in the closet near the smart panel

I would like the answer to this question too.

Offline zolakk

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 11:27:37 am »
If you have or can borrow a laptop you should be able to plug vera directly into that without needing a long cable to get to the GUI temporarily, that's how I do it with my Vera 3

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 12:11:05 pm »
I'm really surprised you wouldn't have power outlet within 100ft of a switch or z-wave device. My house seems to have outlets in every room ( I think it is building code here also) and usually at least one on each wall if not more. I'm not so lucky to have rooms that are 100ft by 100ft (10,000 sq ft) either. So I'm not sure what you have going on there.  Also like was already pointed out you do have a button on the side to include devices without internet just like the vera edge and vera lite has.

Offline jumper4000

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 12:16:25 pm »
I'm really surprised you wouldn't have power outlet within 100ft of a switch or z-wave device. My house seems to have outlets in every room ( I think it is building code here also) and usually at least one on each wall if not more. I'm not so lucky to have rooms that are 100ft by 100ft (10,000 sq ft) either. So I'm not sure what you have going on there.  Also like was already pointed out you do have a button on the side to include devices without internet just like the vera edge and vera lite has.

It's not that I don't have outlets, but it's more that unplugging/re plugging VeraPlus is about a 12 minute process before it's ready to include/exclude again. Since then I've started evaluating HomeSteer and the process w a zwave stick is an absolute breeze. It takes about 3 seconds per device.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 12:42:34 pm »

It's not that I don't have outlets, but it's more that unplugging/re plugging VeraPlus is about a 12 minute process before it's ready to include/exclude again. Since then I've started evaluating HomeSteer and the process w a zwave stick is an absolute breeze. It takes about 3 seconds per device.

I already responded to you in that thread, But I think your putting to much into your onetime inclusion process. This only has to be done once and you shouldn't have to move for every device you install. Highpower or Full Power inclusion (not network wide inclusion) should still reach as far as the z-wave range is for that device. So you should only have to move it a two or three times at most and I only had to do it once. It's going to take you longer to name each device and put it in a room and I would rather do it while I'm including not after I have added 50 devices to a stick and they all look the same.

I perosnally wouldn't go (and didn't) with the battery powered aeon stick over the homeseer one due to backups and software options that hoemseer gives it's own stick.

But Vera is very slow at adding devices anyways with the slow UI and green Swirly circle so almost any other route you go will be faster just based on UI speed alone rather then method of including.