Author Topic: How do we add new devices to VeraPlus?  (Read 20792 times)

Offline jumper4000

Re: How do we add new devices to VeraPlus?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 02:56:43 pm »

It's not that I don't have outlets, but it's more that unplugging/re plugging VeraPlus is about a 12 minute process before it's ready to include/exclude again. Since then I've started evaluating HomeSteer and the process w a zwave stick is an absolute breeze. It takes about 3 seconds per device.

I already responded to you in that thread, But I think your putting to much into your onetime inclusion process. This only has to be done once and you shouldn't have to move for every device you install. Highpower or Full Power inclusion (not network wide inclusion) should still reach as far as the z-wave range is for that device. So you should only have to move it a two or three times at most and I only had to do it once. It's going to take you longer to name each device and put it in a room and I would rather do it while I'm including not after I have added 50 devices to a stick and they all look the same.

I perosnally wouldn't go (and didn't) with the battery powered aeon stick over the homeseer one due to backups and software options that hoemseer gives it's own stick.

But Vera is very slow at adding devices anyways with the slow UI and green Swirly circle so almost any other route you go will be faster just based on UI speed alone rather then method of including.

I WISH it was a one time process. Since UI7 and particularly the new ZWave firmware, and now VeraPlus, the inclusion/exclusion process has become a very routine requirement on my network. Devices constantly fall on/off the network and often times, the only way to get them back is to exclude/include them again.

So far, I'm happy very happy with the Aeon's stick. I haven't come across anything that I can complain about. It's VERY fast, super easy to use, and works great with all of my devices - old/new and as far as 2 feet to 250 feet away. But, I'll probably buy the HomeSeers stick too, just for comparison. I've only been using it for a week, but so far the experience is much better than my first week with VeraPlus.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 03:12:01 pm »

It's not that I don't have outlets, but it's more that unplugging/re plugging VeraPlus is about a 12 minute process before it's ready to include/exclude again. Since then I've started evaluating HomeSteer and the process w a zwave stick is an absolute breeze. It takes about 3 seconds per device.

I already responded to you in that thread, But I think your putting to much into your onetime inclusion process. This only has to be done once and you shouldn't have to move for every device you install. Highpower or Full Power inclusion (not network wide inclusion) should still reach as far as the z-wave range is for that device. So you should only have to move it a two or three times at most and I only had to do it once. It's going to take you longer to name each device and put it in a room and I would rather do it while I'm including not after I have added 50 devices to a stick and they all look the same.

I perosnally wouldn't go (and didn't) with the battery powered aeon stick over the homeseer one due to backups and software options that hoemseer gives it's own stick.

But Vera is very slow at adding devices anyways with the slow UI and green Swirly circle so almost any other route you go will be faster just based on UI speed alone rather then method of including.

I WISH it was a one time process. Since UI7 and particularly the new ZWave firmware, and now VeraPlus, the inclusion/exclusion process has become a very routine requirement on my network. Devices constantly fall on/off the network and often times, the only way to get them back is to exclude/include them again.

So far, I'm happy very happy with the Aeon's stick. I haven't come across anything that I can complain about. It's VERY fast, super easy to use, and works great with all of my devices - old/new and as far as 2 feet to 250 feet away. But, I'll probably buy the HomeSeers stick too, just for comparison. I've only been using it for a week, but so far the experience is much better than my first week with VeraPlus.

I hear you on the network problems.

I don't really have anything bad to say about the Aeon stick and it's the same price. I had the non z-wave plus one around a year ago when I first tested HS3 but never moved.  The battery is a great feature that the SmartStick+ doesn't have and the life on them seems to be around 5 years which I think is more then enough for 40.00.

Happy Testing.

Offline Zoro

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 05:31:14 pm »
There are two buttons on the side of the Vera Plus. One is for pairing Zigbee and the other is for Include/Exclude of Z-Wave devices.

Neither the Vera Edge nor the Vera Plus have batteries or battery packs. They are supposed to be powered by their mains power brick. I'm sure that some people might have or rig up a 12VDC battery power supply, but it's not really necessary.

If your Z-Wave network cannot provide Network Wide Inclusion, such as might occur with legacy Z-Wave devices like the CA600, you will need to relocate Vera closer to the switch for Inclusion.

With a long network cable, you can perform the Inclusion from within the Vera GUI and more easily monitor the Inclusion progress. The ability to see what is going on is beneficial as some people simple do not seem to be able to get the inclusion process working with button presses alone, despite this not being a Vera issue.

If you cannot  or do not choose to use a long network cable; you can plug the Vera Plus into the wall near the device you are including and press the Include/Exclude button. This is exactly like you've always been able to do with every Vera ever. Press the include button on Vera, trigger the include process on the device(see device manual), lights blink rapidly and you're done. When a Z-Wave device fails to include, exclude it first, the process is usually the same, but may vary depending on the Z-Wave device(see device manual).

Z-Waver

Care to speculate which button on the Vera Plus is include/exclude and which is for pairing zigbee ... select or sync? I haven't been able to find that anywhere.. Thanks in advance for your help..  :D

Z

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 07:37:18 am »
Use the Select button to cycle through the radio options, Z-Wave and ZigBee(watch the LEDs). Then use the Pair button to Include/Exclude and then activate the Z-Wave device you want to Include/Exclude.

Offline JohnRob

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 11:38:30 am »
Hi,

I read in the purported FCC manual for the VeraPlus, that you can select the RF radio to be paired (by repeatedly pressing the select button as Z-Waver said).  Then you would:
     -- Press the Sync button to start the syncing (pairing) process
     -- Press the Sync button for 3 seconds to stop the syncing process.

I'm guessing because the select button only selects the different radios, any pairing would be as a "generic" device.

No mention was made of excluding / unpairing.

I tried the buttons with a troublesome device with no luck.   This probably was not a good test.   I have a GE Link bulb that currently has no useful location.  If I have the time I will try with it.

JohnRob

Offline joek

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 07:50:54 am »
Just did this on a VeraPlus to add a ZWave device.  Documentation is scarce.

• Press & release "select" button to cycle through the different radio's. Stop on desired radio.
  • Press & release "sync" button to ADD a new device mode (can verify mode in GUI)
  • Press & hold "sync" button (3 secs) to REMOVE a device mode (can verify mode in GUI)
  • Press & hold "select" button (until LED's stop blinking) to exit inclusion/exclusion mode
Cheers!
Joe
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:28:45 am by joek »

Offline hmspain

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 08:04:36 pm »
I have to admit being at the end of my Vera-fu trying to add Fibaro devices (fully supported) to my Vera Plus.  Using the UI7 interface I just get the spinning green wheel until it times out.  The 1 minute timer times out, the web page hangs.  Kill the web page, login, try again... rinse repeat.

I can't reliably unpair a device, nor pair a device.

What's the trick?

I tried the front buttons, push "select", then sequence through the radios until Z-Wave is selected, push "sync", nothing.
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 02:16:59 am »
I have to admit being at the end of my Vera-fu trying to add Fibaro devices (fully supported) to my Vera Plus.  Using the UI7 interface I just get the spinning green wheel until it times out.  The 1 minute timer times out, the web page hangs.  Kill the web page, login, try again... rinse repeat.

What's the trick?

I tried the front buttons, push "select", then sequence through the radios until Z-Wave is selected, push "sync", nothing.

Hi, had this problem for a long time. I solved it to move vera to a different network where no dlna and upnp devices can be seen from.
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline bb84

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 10:30:14 pm »
I am having the same problem as hmspain... I have no idea how to fix this. Im close to returning it.... its frustrating trying all different things and just seeing this thing spin and not recognize any GE dimmer switches. hmspain, what did you do to get this to work?

What's the trick?

Marc Shenker

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 09:00:36 am »
I am having the same problem as hmspain... I have no idea how to fix this. Im close to returning it.... its frustrating trying all different things and just seeing this thing spin and not recognize any GE dimmer switches. hmspain, what did you do to get this to work?

What's the trick?

The best thing to do when you are stymied in this manner is to contact our Customer Care Team, that is what they are there for. support@getvera.com and CC me. We'll get you sorted. 

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 09:10:58 am »

As Marc stated, Customer Care is always your best support option. However, since you are a newcomer to Vera, there are a few things you may not know.

First, though it sounds similar, your issue is not at all the same as the one experienced by @hmspain. His is a completely different device with a different issue. You GE device is known to work without a problem.

When installing Z-Wave devices such as your GE switch fails, you should relocate Vera to within three feet of Vera, for the inclusion process. You also need to be aware that some new Z-Wave devices may already be "included" to something and will not be able to be included to Vera until you first perform an exclude operation on the device. After the device has been excluded, you can then include it to Vera's Z-Wave network.

To exclude the switch, step through the Vera new device include wizard and when it starts the include process, click retry, it should then give you the option to exclude.

Offline jdrinnyc

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 12:21:19 pm »
Instead of worrying about long ethernet cables, I use a fast power line AV network adapter for my vera plus network connection. An ethernet cable goes from my router to a plug adapter in the same room. This sends the network over household wires. A paired device plugs into another room's wall outlet near my vera. Then I use an ethernet cable from that plugged in device to my vera. I use this set up to place my vera in a central location in my house or,  for remote inclusion move it closer the new device. The moved adapter can function with an extension cord so the vera can be placed right next to whatever device is being included. http://netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/

Offline thecodas

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2016, 03:37:17 pm »

• Press & release "select" button to cycle through the different radio's. Stop on desired radio.
  • Press & release "sync" button to ADD a new device mode (can verify mode in GUI)
  • Press & hold "sync" button (3 secs) to REMOVE a device mode (can verify mode in GUI)
  • Press & hold "select" button (until LED's stop blinking) to exit inclusion/exclusion mode
Cheers!
Joe

Will this work if VeraPlus is connected via Wifi only [not LAN]?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2016, 05:25:36 pm »

Cheers!
Joe

Will this work if VeraPlus is connected via Wifi only [not LAN]?

I don't see why that should matter you don't even have to be online to ass a device, but did the last update allow the PLUS to work on wifi? Last saw the PLUS didn't allow a connection to your existing wifi.

Offline thecodas

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2016, 09:15:55 pm »
It has a WiFi LED indicator ... But alas I tried it tonight and I don't think it worked.