We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: ZigBee concerns  (Read 1443 times)

Offline ChrisK

ZigBee concerns
« on: February 27, 2016, 02:13:34 pm »
When Vera announced its new controller would support ZigBee I was really excited.   I love Z-Wave, but it is a closed protocol.  ZigBee on the other hand is an open protocol.  These devices should be cheaper, right?  Take a look at the Iris Contact Sensor at Lowes.  It is really tiny and only 22.95.  Plus it reports temperature.  I went out and bought one this week and I like it a lot.

My plan was to convert my current XBee network to ZigBee.  I had designed some devices that did things that I couldn?t buy off the shelf.  And if you like to play with Arduino?s like I do, Google Arduino SmartThing Thingsheild.  Some folks have written some code for this Arduino shield to design ZigBee HA 1.2 devices.  How cool is that?

Now the problem.  Vera Plus doesn?t fully support the contact sensor I bought, at least yet.  If I cannot get a commercial product to work, what about my own design?  And what happened to all of the commercial ZigBee modules?  The appliance module I found was a lot more expensive than its Z-Wave counter part. 

ZigBee?s are common in the industrial market, but have they lost out to Z-Wave on the consumer front?  Maybe the Vera Plus support for ZigBee will be a moot point.  I am curious what others find.

Chris

Offline VeraDad

• Sr. Newbie
Re: ZigBee concerns
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 05:22:09 pm »
Are you sure the $22.95 one is Zigbee and not Z-wave? I thought the Zigbee ones were $15 and work with the old iris system and did not work with Vera... but I could be wrong, I don't actually own anything yet, but have been researching...

If there are such things as "Generic Z-wave" devices, you would think they could have "Generic Zigbee Device" which would allow you to maybe program what you want to send and receive to/from the device...

I'm a software guy and a huge fan of open standards, but since my start into researching smart home stuff, I've found that most people prefer the Z-wave to Zigbe which kinds makes me sad.  :-\

Anyway, I'm hoping for more easy and more low cost Zigbee devices.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 07:37:56 pm »
Are you sure the $22.95 one is Zigbee and not Z-wave? I thought the Zigbee ones were $15 and work with the old iris system and did not work with Vera... but I could be wrong, I don't actually own anything yet, but have been researching...

If there are such things as "Generic Z-wave" devices, you would think they could have "Generic Zigbee Device" which would allow you to maybe program what you want to send and receive to/from the device...

I'm a software guy and a huge fan of open standards, but since my start into researching smart home stuff, I've found that most people prefer the Z-wave to Zigbe which kinds makes me sad.  :-\

Anyway, I'm hoping for more easy and more low cost Zigbee devices.

The earlier one and the current device are both ZigBee.  The newer one is Home Automation 1.2 compliant.  The earlier one was propitiatory and only worked with Lowe's Iris version 1 hub.  Maybe they are cheaper because they thought they would make it up in monthly subscription fees.

I really like Z-Wave, but I am a roll it yourself kind of gal and that is not the Z-Wave way.  I have an electrical engineering background but like do dabble in programming these days.

Offline VeraDad

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 07:48:54 pm »
The earlier one and the current device are both ZigBee.  The newer one is Home Automation 1.2 compliant.  The earlier one was propitiatory and only worked with Lowe's Iris version 1 hub.  Maybe they are cheaper because they thought they would make it up in monthly subscription fees.

I really like Z-Wave, but I am a roll it yourself kind of gal and that is not the Z-Wave way.  I have an electrical engineering background but like do dabble in programming these days.

Yeah, subscription fees, you're probably right.

Funny, I'm CS, but dabble in ECEN and electrical. We should build something awesome!  ;) Well if I didn't have a family, a job, and no time. LOL

Offline Cfreeland

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 08:29:09 pm »
I too am a little disappointed that my Cree conect zigbee bulbs do not work with Vera Plus for now. I just hope in the future Vera will support more then a handful of zigbee devices, until then I will continue using them through Wink and the plug in.