We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Windows Install Guide?  (Read 4765 times)

Offline scyto

Re: Windows Install Guide?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 01:24:15 pm »
@paulclinger

Thanks so much for stepping in and clarifying the ZBS approach.

@scyto

Sorry Windows hasn't worked out for you... others do use it successfully.

Note that a copy of dkjson.lua needs to be in the /etc/cmh- ludl/ directory or on the Lua path for plugins to find it.

The two errors regarding the icon directories are my fault... I did not update the check routine since changing the way icons are handled.  I will fix that.

Better luck with RPi.

Thanks to the both of you holding my had, it looks like i tried about the worst plugin i could to get going :-) my observation is that for both windows and pi laurocks is a worthy tool - on pi it was flawless and on windows all they need is good directions on setting up the compiler environment / pre-requisites.  In both cases luarocks installed dkjson and when i ran from command line i never saw path issues and the tools luaforwindows and luarocks were VERY clear what to set in my system path variables.

I think my issue with ZBS is that because it has an installer and is gui driven i expect it do all the right things to setup and tell me when things are not right - as 95% windows focused sysadmin for the last 20 years thats the lens i bring.  There should be no need to download another exe to set paths correctly (not that is yours or pauls issue! - just an observation of assumptions dumb folks like me bring to the table). 

Yes Pi is much more successful, wish i had gone that route first, i just thought 'oh portable interpreter' getting it up and running on windows should be less hassle than apt-gets and potentially messing up the pi (which is my production bridge between a bunch of HA items) - i had a bad experience with cpan that borked it once....  (all the dumbass instructions said to install perl / cpan - no one said it was already installed on pi!  i managed to break apt-get :-)  - anyways thanks again to both of you.  Also given that plugins indeed may call linux system scripts and calls (because they assume they are running on a vera) i am not sure how that plays into your support of openLuup on windows (damm i will have to find something else to do with my lattepanda windows IOT machine when it arrives! ;-).

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 04:16:49 pm »
Your other option (x86) was to install Oracle's Virtual Box, load it with Debian 8.3.0 (or whatever, I'm partial to Debian now) and install just as you did on your rPi (aptitude). Then you could run it headless or spawn another clone if you wanted to run more than 1 openLuup instance on a single box (if you desire). I do this for testing and it works perfectly and allows you full control over the resources.

@paulclinger

Thanks so much for stepping in and clarifying the ZBS approach.

@scyto

Sorry Windows hasn't worked out for you... others do use it successfully.

Note that a copy of dkjson.lua needs to be in the /etc/cmh- ludl/ directory or on the Lua path for plugins to find it.

The two errors regarding the icon directories are my fault... I did not update the check routine since changing the way icons are handled.  I will fix that.

Better luck with RPi.

Thanks to the both of you holding my had, it looks like i tried about the worst plugin i could to get going :-) my observation is that for both windows and pi laurocks is a worthy tool - on pi it was flawless and on windows all they need is good directions on setting up the compiler environment / pre-requisites.  In both cases luarocks installed dkjson and when i ran from command line i never saw path issues and the tools luaforwindows and luarocks were VERY clear what to set in my system path variables.

I think my issue with ZBS is that because it has an installer and is gui driven i expect it do all the right things to setup and tell me when things are not right - as 95% windows focused sysadmin for the last 20 years thats the lens i bring.  There should be no need to download another exe to set paths correctly (not that is yours or pauls issue! - just an observation of assumptions dumb folks like me bring to the table). 

Yes Pi is much more successful, wish i had gone that route first, i just thought 'oh portable interpreter' getting it up and running on windows should be less hassle than apt-gets and potentially messing up the pi (which is my production bridge between a bunch of HA items) - i had a bad experience with cpan that borked it once....  (all the dumbass instructions said to install perl / cpan - no one said it was already installed on pi!  i managed to break apt-get :-)  - anyways thanks again to both of you.  Also given that plugins indeed may call linux system scripts and calls (because they assume they are running on a vera) i am not sure how that plays into your support of openLuup on windows (damm i will have to find something else to do with my lattepanda windows IOT machine when it arrives! ;-).
openLuup, AltUI, Zway and HomeWave, enough said...

Offline scyto

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 08:33:45 pm »
Your other option (x86) was to install Oracle's Virtual Box, load it with Debian 8.3.0 (or whatever, I'm partial to Debian now) and install just as you did on your rPi (aptitude). Then you could run it headless or spawn another clone if you wanted to run more than 1 openLuup instance on a single box (if you desire). I do this for testing and it works perfectly and allows you full control over the resources.

absolutely, i run hyper-v on many machines and that would have worked too.  Out of interest how simillar are debian and raspbian - i am not too interested in learning linux flavours as i do so little with them.  I could have also gone upstairs and got the pi2 that is sitting idle as a defunct plex client and repurposed it.  I just made the bad assumption lua on windows would be 'easy and quick' and once i was started it was a challenge to see if i could figure it out or would hit a hard stop.  Fun to do that despite by bitchin' and moanin' :-)

Offline CudaNet

• Beta Testers
  • Chimichanga !
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 09:03:16 pm »
Raspbian is based on Debian. I've been running Jessie lite for about 2 weeks now and the x86 version almost the same amount of time. I'm hoping to replace my OpenWrt system (which I love) if everything remains stable. As for Windows, I don't see it as a bad assumption on your part. You tried, I tried and others have as well. I didn't get too far with my Windows attempt before I re-visited Linux (I'm very rusty as I just don't use it enough). You'll never know if you don't try so kudos for trying...

absolutely, i run hyper-v on many machines and that would have worked too.  Out of interest how simillar are debian and raspbian - i am not too interested in learning linux flavours as i do so little with them.  I could have also gone upstairs and got the pi2 that is sitting idle as a defunct plex client and repurposed it.  I just made the bad assumption lua on windows would be 'easy and quick' and once i was started it was a challenge to see if i could figure it out or would hit a hard stop.  Fun to do that despite by bitchin' and moanin' :-)
openLuup, AltUI, Zway and HomeWave, enough said...