Author Topic: Hikvision camera as motion sensor  (Read 5418 times)

Offline Freddan101

Re: Hikvision camera as motion sensor
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 06:36:20 am »
Hmm... I will probably end up with Blue Iris anyway. I'm too fond of tweaking och controlling stuff. :) I def want to be able to control when to record or not.

Is it possible to automatically disable the feed for certain cameras (indoor) when at home for example?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 09:26:58 am »
Hmm... I will probably end up with Blue Iris anyway. I'm too fond of tweaking och controlling stuff. :) I def want to be able to control when to record or not.

Is it possible to automatically disable the feed for certain cameras (indoor) when at home for example?

In blueiris yes but the camera ip address is always streaming. You can also only give access to different cameras in blueiris to different user's. I dont record inside when im home but i have lost the worry or need to disable the stream completely for internal cameras.

Offline Freddan101

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 05:11:01 pm »
Sounds like Blue Iris would be ideal in my future camera setup. Thanks a lot for the information.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I think the original question still would be quite interesting to figure out.

Are the cameras, like Hikvision, "smart" enough to detect motion by themselves or are they always dependent on software on the receiving side (like Blue Iris) to do that?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 07:26:35 pm »
Are the cameras, like Hikvision, "smart" enough to detect motion by themselves or are they always dependent on software on the receiving side (like Blue Iris) to do that?

They are getting better. All have motion zones, but Blocking off areas or highlighting areas are using squares only. That doesn't always work out when your trying to block out somthing that's not a square. Also Blueiris you can setup like 6 different profiles which means each can have different sensitive levels or areas blocked out and so on. Blueiris has shadow ignoring and other options that are just not avaivble with just the camera.

So I guess to some it up is camera have enough options to get the basic job done but not nearly as much as Blueiris.

I do two things with my cameras. one is record any motion including passing cars are people walking on the sidewalk (this is incase something does go down I can see what they drove up in which direction they went and I can look threw the day to see if they were casing the house before hand) But I also run notifications only when someone enters the yard or walking up the driveway, front porch or what ever. I use the cameras built in motion to get recordings of motion and I have it pretty sensitive for it doesn't miss anything. But I use blueiris to highlight only my property and block out any moving trees or areas that I'm not watching. I also have the sensitivity set to the Conservative side to not get a false alarm from a cat or something unwanted. Only send motion sensor info (which is also alerts to Sonos if home or my phone if away). So I use both but I could never get the camera motion alone to do both nor could I set it as precise as I can with blueiris. If I wasn't doing anything but recording all motion the cameras alone would be ok.

Offline Freddan101

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 10:53:45 am »
What would you be able to do without Blue Iris and how would you achieve it? Do you need software from Hikvision installed or can you connect directly to the camera?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »
What would you be able to do without Blue Iris and how would you achieve it? Do you need software from Hikvision installed or can you connect directly to the camera?

I think you need to be a little more specific on your question. A list of what the camera can do and how to do it would be better had from the manual for that camera. Or maybe even a google search.

I'm not sure where you are planning on installing software (computer?) if so your back to 40.00 blueiris being a better option.

The cameras are IP cameras and they have there own software and web UI on them. So you can connect to them via a web browser. Some hikvisions even have SD card slots on them. That gets down to the specific model number you purchase. I think all can record to other storage places

The first thing to ask is where are you going to store the recordings from the camera. If your not going to store and only Live veiw you don't need much of anything. If your going to record video then you need to determine where is it going to be stored and how much are you going to keep (in terms of data size).  The cheapest way is SD card in each camera. The better way is NVR. You can purchase a stand alone box (which hikvision makes some like this but this requireds a HD purchased seperatly of your size. http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-7608NI-SE-Channel-Ports-Recorder/dp/B00DVODRJ8)
Or you use a computer with software to make your own NVR which is what blueiris is. Both us the same hard drives inside to store your data.

Between the NVR and Computer with Blueiris there is pluses and minus for each. If you were to buy a good computer to run Blueiris you would/should spend more money in the long run. Blueiris for several cameras needs a good computer. But the computer is more versitial and can do other tasks at the same time. I use it for Blueiris/Plex/Unifi and now HomeSeer. A downside to blueiris is a full computer should use more power or watts to run. Now if you try you can get a mini computer close to the same power usage as a NVR but that would probley cost you even more money upfront making the cost even that much more then a NVR.

When you use apps or programs to connect to the cameras this is usually done threw the NVR or Blueiris as you have more streaming options and better security from your phone app to the making NVR/BlueIris. If you go direct to cameras you need to port forward each camera you have. This is assuming you want to view cameras away from your house. 

Offline Freddan101

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 11:46:11 am »
Thanks a lot for your thorough answer. I will go ahead and get a Hikvision to try all this out for myself. I have a Windows machine running 24/7 already and hopefully it will have enough power to run Blue Iris.

What comes to the possibility to letting the camera itself trigger motion to Vera. As I understand it's not recommended to run too many cameras in Vera itself. So you will probably want to run something like Blue Iris anyway.

Offline maks327

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 12:40:13 pm »
Just an update for anyone following this thread, I was able to get something like what was discussed here going, running a program on a PC to trigger alerts on Vera from Hikvision cameras motion/line detection (non-PIR). 

See this thread for instructions:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,54073.0.html