We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Workflows vs PLEG Next Gen UI - any comparative analysis?  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Aaron

Workflows vs PLEG Next Gen UI - any comparative analysis?
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:01:20 am »
I have yet to try Workflows and recently noticed PLEG Next Gen UI popped up... it looks pretty similar (visually).  How are they different? 

Being a long-time PLEG user I'm pretty well neck deep in PLEG code that I cant easily convert unless there is a good reason to.

Just wondering if anyone has done a comparison of the two solutions?

thx

Offline amg0

• Master Member
Re: Workflows vs PLEG Next Gen UI - any comparative analysis?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 02:55:28 am »
I have yet to try Workflows and recently noticed PLEG Next Gen UI popped up... it looks pretty similar (visually).  How are they different? 

Being a long-time PLEG user I'm pretty well neck deep in PLEG code that I cant easily convert unless there is a good reason to.

Just wondering if anyone has done a comparison of the two solutions?

thx
I do not use PLeg so cannot really tell. Most likely PLeg goes further in complexity and possibilities but not sure all users need complex things . Maybe a member using both can comment?

AltUI workflows are embedded in altUI so a single plugin is needed overall to get workflows, alerts via pushing box and watch based triggers, which , in the end, saves resources.
.plus you get real time view of states evolution , use of variable bags and the same syntax colored Lua editor.

Offline tornadoslims

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 05:05:06 am »
bumping this post.

as a user who has used my own custom nodejs rules engine (fed by 1 second calls to the vera http api), I'm very interested in converting things over to a pure vera or pure vera for z-wave and openluup for rules environment.

there are probably competing theories and also major desires not to step on anyones toes which is why this thread has died.  I deeply respect the amount of personal coding that has gone into both systems. 

my desire to not jump into lua (or closed vera for that matter) has always kept me feeding events into my own nodejs system based off the many open source npm modules available.  I have gone back and forth from z-way on the razberry to vera 3 times in the last year and I have over 100 devices - thats a lot of exclusions and inclusions! :)

lua coding is not big of a jump, I remember when I didn't want to jump in javascript node after years of python.  BUT...opening this thread up and having people who have used both PLEGs new environment and workflows would be immensely helpful to all of us.  i'd love to stop writing my own code and start using either of these systems, but its really hard to find a true comparative analysis on both?   comparative - not competitive! :)

Jim

Offline amg0

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 05:47:44 am »
bumping this post.

as a user who has used my own custom nodejs rules engine (fed by 1 second calls to the vera http api), I'm very interested in converting things over to a pure vera or pure vera for z-wave and openluup for rules environment.

there are probably competing theories and also major desires not to step on anyones toes which is why this thread has died.  I deeply respect the amount of personal coding that has gone into both systems. 

my desire to not jump into lua (or closed vera for that matter) has always kept me feeding events into my own nodejs system based off the many open source npm modules available.  I have gone back and forth from z-way on the razberry to vera 3 times in the last year and I have over 100 devices - thats a lot of exclusions and inclusions! :)

lua coding is not big of a jump, I remember when I didn't want to jump in javascript node after years of python.  BUT...opening this thread up and having people who have used both PLEGs new environment and workflows would be immensely helpful to all of us.  i'd love to stop writing my own code and start using either of these systems, but its really hard to find a true comparative analysis on both?   comparative - not competitive! :)

Jim
Not using PLEG i cannot compare but I ll stay as neutral as I can.  The least amount of code you have to put in is is probably the rule engine, the less natural thinking maybe PLeg if you are not a logic programmer expert, I would say workflow are in the middle , transitions may require a bit of Lua when you express the condition of a transition but what I appreciate the most out of it is the graphical editor and real time view of state transitions.
Workflow works fine if you stay clean and simple, if you have real complex rules, I would go PLeg or rules engine.
I think between the free is a matter of taste and how your brain is coded.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:31:16 am by amg0 »