We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Call for testers of new UI for Squeezeboxes  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
Call for testers of new UI for Squeezeboxes
« on: May 26, 2010, 07:46:36 pm »
Features

Use an IR remote and a Squeezebox/Squeezebox Server to control Vera:
Run Vera's scenes and control Vera's devices.

System setup

IR remote -> Squeezebox <-> SBS <-> Vera with UI for Squeezebox <-> Vera's Scenes/Devices

Menu layout for Squeezebox

Room 1 -> Scenes  -> Scene 1  -> Run Scene
Room 2            -> Scene 2
...                   ...

Room 1 -> Devices -> Device 1 [status information] -> Action 1 -> Execute Action 1
Room 2            -> Device 2 [status information]    Action 2
...                  ...                              ...

Installation instructions

-- INSTALLATION
-- ============
--
-- 1. [@SBS] Backup SqueezeCenter/IR/jvc_dvd.ir to SqueezeCenter/IR/jvc_dvd.ir_original
--
-- 2. [@SBS] Replace the contents of SqueezeCenter/IR/jvc_dvd.ir with (remove the leading --):
--
--    =================================== snip =============================================
--    # The default mapping is that of the JVC DVD remote for the Sony
--    # universal remote supplied with the SLIMP3
--
--    # Additionally, some new codes are defined for use with programmable
--    # remotes
--
--    ################################################################################
--    # Button names to IR code mappings
--    ################################################################################
--    # The following codes are from a JVC DVD remote
--    Vera_Up                                         = 0000f746 # 2
--    Vera_Left                                       = 0000f726 # 4
--    Vera_Right                                      = 0000f766 # 6
--    Vera_Down                                       = 0000f716 # 8
--    =================================== snip =============================================
--
-- 3. [@SBS] Add the following lines to SqueezeCenter/IR/Default.map, just below [common]:
--
--    =============== snip =================
--    Vera_Up         = Vera_Up
--    Vera_Left       = Vera_Left
--    Vera_Right      = Vera_Right
--    Vera_Down       = Vera_Down
--    =============== snip =================
--
-- 4. [@SBS] Stop and restart your SBS
--
-- 5. [@IR remote <> original Squeezebox remote] Configure your IR remote to send JVC DVD/VCR IR codes.
--
--    [@SBS] For advanced SBS users:
--    Any IR remote which can be 'read' by the Squeezebox and whose IR codes
--    are different from the IR codes of the original Squeezebox remote can be used:
--    Set the logging category 'player.ir' to debug, press the buttons on your remote,
--    and inspect the log file in order to get the corresponding IR codes which can be
--    used in step 2 above instead of the JVC DVD/VCR IR codes.
--    Do not forget to lower the logging level for 'player.ir'.
--
-- 6. [@Vera] Adjust SBS_IP_address and playerid (see sticker on bottom of your Squeezebox) accordingly,
--    then copy this script into the 'Test Luup Code (Lua)' window and press the 'Go' button.
--    The script will exit after about 60 seconds.
--
-- 7. [@IR remote <> original Squeezebox remote] In the meantime, enjoy your new UI:
--    Use the buttons 2 (up), 4 (left), 6 (right), 8 (down) on your IR remote to navigate through the menu.
--

I am looking for pre-beta testers for this new UI. If you are interested and if you have the
necessary equipment

• Vera
  • Squeezebox Server
  • Squeezebox with display and built-in IR receiver (but not Squeezebox Radio, see Slimdevices bug #15749)
  • [universal] IR remote which can send IR codes for JVC DVD/VCR
    (or the skill to get the IR codes for your remote from the SBS log file)

please PM me.

I am especially interested in testers who are using Z-Wave HVACs, PTZ cameras, and Z-Wave door locks.

Pre-beta code is available right now.

Offline 325xi

• Global Moderator
  • V1, V2, still V2...
Re: Call for testers of new UI for Squeezeboxes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:53:02 pm »
It works only one way - SB controls Vera, but not the other way around?

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:10:23 am »
Yes, it is an implementation of idea 6 (http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3610.0).

Right now it is a Lua script, which I will convert to a Luup plugin. Its functionality is similar to the functionality of the Smartphone plugin. It might even be of interest to blind people, as it is a line-oriented UI, which should be easily adaptable to line-oriented Braille devices.

You are asking for an implementation of idea 1. It should be trivial to hack the camera plugin to support pause/resume, vol +/-, and track +/-. The required CLI commands are at http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=3609.0

I am not going to hack the camera plugin and I am waiting for MCV to come up with a decent (and documented ...) method for implementing user-defined GUI elements, at least user-defined GUI buttons ...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:19:04 am by Ap15e »

Offline Klunket

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 10:53:59 am »
I'll give it a shot. I run a Vera, Squuezebox server on Linux and a squeezebox boom.

I also have a harmony which I'm happy to add jvc codes to.

Can you run me through the implementation - I would have thought this would be a squeezebox addin rather than a Vera one? If a squeezebox addin it would be useable from ipeng, the jive remote, etc. Am I right in thinking that instead Vera is telling squeezebox server what to display on the screen of the squeezebox and the ir command are getting passed direct to Vera for interpretation?

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 02:27:45 pm »
Yes, you are right about SBS/Squeezebox being 'slaved' by Vera.

The Line-Oriented UI for Squeezebox running on Vera (LOUIS4Vera) will be implemented as a Luup plugin for Vera. By doing it this way, the implementation is completely independent of a specific SBS version (as long as the SBS CLI remains stable).