Author Topic: Luup Plug-in for Denon AVR 5800  (Read 4045 times)

Offline krfar

Luup Plug-in for Denon AVR 5800
« on: May 26, 2010, 09:36:33 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has put together RS232 plug-in for a AVR-5800?

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: Luup Plug-in for Denon AVR 5800
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:03:17 pm »
I haven't seen one, but @Ap15e pointed out to me the other day that the denon.de site publishes a bunch of the protocol docs for their models.

eg. http://www.denon.de/site/download.php?datei=datadir/pdf/sonst/436_AVR4810CI_4810_PROTOCOL_V6.6.0.pdf

You can probably navigate around to find the correct manual, but if Denon's amp's share any heritage, you could likely use the codes from this guide to build a new driver.

The code in my Onkyo driver would likely be similar enough to adapt with the "right" set of codes for the '5800

http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_onkyo-media-control

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers

Offline guessed

• Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:15:35 pm »
... even better ;-)

It'll be somewhat simpler than the Onkyo eISCP since it can be done using <protocol>CR<protocol> and most of the "raw" stuff I had to do can be removed.

Looking over the command codes, the implementation of "Mute" will be interesting as Vera's Mute ACTION is a Toggle, and the Denon's Protocol uses Discrete ON & OFF Codes. 

Not impossible, just a little bit of code that sets a flag, then makes an "inquiry call" ("MUON?") in the <ACTION> handler.

In the <incoming> block, there needs to be a counterpart block of code that resets the flag if a "MUON" or "MUOFF" response is returned and then sends another request like "MUOFF" or "MUON" (to force the toggle).  This will avoid the code being tripped when a user manually Toggles Mute directly on the Amp (or via IR) - at least that's the way the Onkyo works, so I'm guessing you'd need something similar for the Denon.

Let us know if you get stuck making the modifications work.

Offline krfar

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 04:56:08 pm »
Thanks guys.

Krfar