We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Just received 2 of the new Echo DOTS.  (Read 1774 times)

Offline treetop777

Just received 2 of the new Echo DOTS.
« on: October 20, 2016, 09:58:57 pm »
After setting them up, i will be looking at controlling Vera with them.  I know there are two threads that i need to read thoroughly but in the mean time, i would welcome any advice.

Thanks in advance.   :)

Offline tb001

Re: Just received 2 of the new Echo DOTS.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 09:24:49 am »
Have fun. They're awesome.  It's not perfect--there are times the echo can't seem to find a device--but I think that's on the Amazon side. I'm using the bridge. I tried the direct link and had trouble getting it to work, but I'm not hugely tech savvy. Bridge was pretty straight forward.

Huge increase in the SAF with the bridge. HUGE. He now wants a dot in every room.

Offline jeff3lo

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:18:36 pm »
I have been toying with BOTH the Rasberry Pi version of Echo and Siri.  I would say Echo on RPi is by far more "stable" for me and I pretty much drop the Siri on RPi project myself.

I use the HA-Bridge on github, like tb001 said, it's not perfect, but I'm loving it because it generally works!

I have 1 Echo, 2 Dot 1st gen, 1 Dot 2nd gen, a Tap, and a couple FireTV's, Alexa is everywhere in the house.  ;D

PS.  Can't wait for Vera to come out with the direct Echo integration.  I hope it will handle devices and scenes!

Offline treetop777

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 04:37:25 pm »
Have fun. They're awesome.  It's not perfect--there are times the echo can't seem to find a device--but I think that's on the Amazon side. I'm using the bridge. I tried the direct link and had trouble getting it to work, but I'm not hugely tech savvy. Bridge was pretty straight forward.

Huge increase in the SAF with the bridge. HUGE. He now wants a dot in every room.

Thanks.  in my case i would be aiming for a high "WAF"; one is slated to go on her night stand.

Offline treetop777

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 04:50:52 pm »
I use the HA-Bridge on github, like tb001 said, it's not perfect, but I'm loving it because it generally works

Thanks.  That gives me a lead as to which thread to read first.