We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Capturing Vera logs to my own FTP server instead of Vera  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Catman

Re: Capturing Vera logs to my own FTP server instead of Vera
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 01:07:47 am »
Nice job on the SCP option.  If only Vera used SCP to upload logs like you have done with the trivial changes, instead of the unencrypted FTP they have (and still use) for years to their servers.  I have posted in the past a detailed breakdown of the type of data that is sent in the logs, and it is quite sensitive information (including security system pin codes)

If you're uploading locally, it's not (IMHO) a huge issue. Unless your data is encrypted at rest it's readable by anyone that's breached your LAN.  Clearly if you're talking about SCP to Vera's servers then yes, it would be a better idea than FTP.  Really surprised that FTP is still used by anyone.

C

Offline niharmehta

Re: Capturing Vera logs to my own FTP server instead of Vera
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 07:55:43 am »
I was referring to to MCV's servers.
 I am also much less concerned for a local lan which is why I never considered putting in the effort to change the scripts. The host file changes was most easily repairable if something breaks when I originally did this years ago. I hope that Vera takes your (and others here)  ideas and moves to SCP or similar soon for their log backup service. 

Two years ago I had to 'prove' to them that not everything leaving vera is secure and encrypted as they claim.   Supposedly, there was going to be some analysis and maybe fix, but as of today, nothing has changed.  It is still unencrypted FTP. I highly doubt MCV has any 'security team'  if they feel after all this time, its perfectly acceptable to use FTP for logs.
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;