Author Topic: Vera notification from an existing alarm system  (Read 1519 times)

Offline packman

Vera notification from an existing alarm system
« on: April 13, 2016, 06:46:47 pm »
I'm a newbie just getting started with a Veraplus. Everythings been going well so far in setting up the controller and adding a few devices. I just have a quick question. I currently have a home brewed hard wired alarm system I put together many years ago. It's made up of door/window contacts, on/off switch, relays, timer, and a siren. I'd like to be able to get a notification on my phone if the siren turns on. So basically I'm looking for some type of zwave device that I can connect to the alarm system which will sense 120v AC from the siren or 12v DC from a relay when the alarm is triggered? Any recommendations?

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
Re: Vera notification from an existing alarm system
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:26:23 pm »
It's going to depend on what type of alarm system you have. There are several that can be integrated with Vera so that Vera can be aware of alarm conditions. But, Vera can also use the sensors as automation inputs as well.

In the event that your alarm system does not offer the opportunity for integration with Vera, you can probably have the alarm system activate a relay, which could then trip a Z-Wave device like a contact sensor, to indicate an alarm condition.

Offline packman

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 03:51:21 pm »
I have relays in my system that open and close contacts when the alarm is triggered which I may be able to use. I just dont know what type of zwave device I need that will sense an open or closed contact. Or some other zwave device that will sense 120V AC or 12V DC when the alarm is triggered.

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 04:17:56 pm »
You can hack Z-wave door sensors to connect a contact that will input to Vera. They're $30-$40 each.
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline packman

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 07:04:32 pm »
You can hack Z-wave door sensors to connect a contact that will input to Vera. They're $30-$40 each.

That should work. I'm looking at an Ecolink Z-Wave Door/Window Sensor that has an external contact input which I can wire to. Thanks

Offline DeltaNu1142

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 07:22:43 pm »
That's the one I was thinking about. Good luck.
Vera 3 @ UI5 | HomeWave | PLEG

Offline pitzerwm

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:17 am »
Keep in mind that the door/window sensor's external contact has to be N/C