We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Easy method for replacing a broken Z-wave light switch in Vera?  (Read 3241 times)

Offline 93732

One of my Linear WS15Z-1 light switches is faulty (blinks on/off rapidly every 30 seconds or so) and I will be replacing it with an identical unit.  Is there a way for me to quickly change instances of the OLD light switch to the NEW light switch? For example, if the OLD light switch was used in scenes...

Offline BrianLBeaton

Re: Easy method for replacing a broken Z-wave light switch in Vera?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 06:43:17 am »
There is no quick way to do so currently that I know of.  The ALTUI plugin includes functionality to see what scenes a specific device is used as shown in the attacahed screenshot.  The author of the PLEG plugin has indicated that he plans to add functionality to his plugin that will make this a bit easier to do in the future.

Offline additude

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 07:16:33 am »
I'm thinking you could set up the new device, include it and then find the device number of the old switch and change the "Advanced" properties "deviceNo" (or whichever field name reports the Device Number of the Device) on the new device to that of the bad device number. You may need to change UUID or/and a few other properties as well.

You will have to delete the old device or re-assign it an unused device number , UUID etc.. to avoid any conflicts.
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:20:38 am »
I'm thinking you could set up the new device, include it and then find the device number of the old switch and change the "Advanced" properties "deviceNo" (or whichever field name reports the Device Number of the Device) on the new device to that of the bad device number. You may need to change UUID or/and a few other properties as well.

You will have to delete the old device or re-assign it an unused device number , UUID etc.. to avoid any conflicts.
Device numbers are automatically allocated by the system. Trying to manually change these is a recipe for disaster and will most likely break the system.
You will see other posts on the forum where devices are assigned names linked to their ID in start up luup and these are then used in scenes. Changing a device then merely involves changing the device ID linked to the name.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline 93732

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 12:28:48 pm »
Do you have a link for these posts or know of a keyword I can search for?

You will see other posts on the forum where devices are assigned names linked to their ID in start up luup and these are then used in scenes.

Offline akbooer

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • "Less is more"
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P, 9x Philips Hue,
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, AltHue, DataYours, Grafana, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:57:36 pm »
Sorry but I was at work so didn't get to respond.
Thanks Akbooer for giving the links.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline 93732

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 02:25:53 am »
Sorry but I was at work so didn't get to respond.
Thanks Akbooer for giving the links.

No problem! Thanks everyone for the input.

Offline additude

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 04:28:31 am »

Device numbers are automatically allocated by the system. Trying to manually change these is a recipe for disaster and will most likely break the system.
You will see other posts on the forum where devices are assigned names linked to their ID in start up luup and these are then used in scenes. Changing a device then merely involves changing the device ID linked to the name.
I would tent to agree with that premise and I wouldn't have even suggested it at all had the OP said that he was NOT replacing the device with an identical unit.
If you want something that you have never had before, then you are going to have to do something that you have never done before.