We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Soon I am giving up on VERA...Hue plugin broke and all my scenes are destroyed!!  (Read 9624 times)

Offline wilme2

Hi!

I am NOT using the beta plugin.

And after investigating the HUE was working fine for 2 days after the update of the firmware of the HUE bridge.

I have had a case open with VERA on the HUE plugin since I have 2 HUE bridges and their latest version supports multiple HUE bridges. They did a remote login to the controller and updated the plugin, so it is VERA's plugin.

The plugin says it is connected to the HUE bridge now but I cannot turn it on and therefore it does not pick up any lights.

Yes, as of April 10th Andrei indicated it was still considered a beta.

Have you posted in the thread for that plug-in? http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,33088.195.html  The author, while a Mios/Vera employee, responds timely on this forum and I have worked with him on changes to another Mios plug-in...   

Long Live UI5!  (OK finally made the switch to UI7 in January 2018, and am pretty happy....)

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
Ok, I figured it out. (Forgot I can hook VeraPlus into the HUE hub as well as my vera 3)The Vera Plus Hue plugin is baked into the firmware. Go to add device, lights and dimmers. At the bottom you'll see Philips HUE. The plugin that loads is basically Andrei's HUE plugin, possibly with a few Plus tweaks. It's showing 0.92 on my VeraPlus. Most likely since support did not remote in and updated it to (i assume) a not yet released version. So yes, definately still a beta plugin.

No issues yet but I did research and the HUE API update from a little while back is wreaking havoc with a lot of 3rd party solutions.

Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline kigmatzomat

I disabled hue auto updates a while back, after Philips broke support for non-philips bulbs. I knew it was a matter of time before they did something to break vera support.

Any chance vera will support hue bulbs direct from the Zigbee radio? I would love to ditch the hue hub.

Offline niharmehta

Depends if they opened the upper layer protocol for advanced functions.

In defense of HUE, they announced these changes last year to the API for increased security.  Vera seems to not have made the update to their Beta code.  Regardless of who is at fault it just reinforces what it means to be BETA and probably best to not jump on every latest update if your system is production.
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline cybrmage

• Beta Testers
Any chance vera will support hue bulbs direct from the Zigbee radio? I would love to ditch the hue hub.

Depends if they opened the upper layer protocol for advanced functions.

No. Direct support of the Hue bulbs has nothing to do with the Hue protocol...

Hue bulbs WILL connect to a VeraPlus (If you have the Zigbee radio set to channel 11,15,20 or 25)... However, because the bulbs only support ZLL and the VeraPlus does NOT support ZLL, the VeraPlus ignores the Hue bulb...

Zigbee Light Link support will need to be added to the VeraPlus firmware in order to control the Hue bulb directly.

Offline niharmehta

My understanding is that HUE diverged a bit from ZLL compatibility on their Hubs. I was unaware until now they fixed compatibility recently.  Does ZLL mandate that there are no extended proprietary extensions exist within the protocol?  For example advanced color , scenes, or other functions?

2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member

I haven't tried a HUE bulb, but the VeraPlus had no issues hooking up a GE-Link Zigbee bulb and can operate it without issues.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline niharmehta

Home Automation may not be the best hobby for you if you are expecting anything to be rock solid, secure, easy, and painless. Every system sucks in their own way..  The others are FAR from painless.

You have several experienced  users with quite large, complex,  and (mostly) stable Vera controlled networks trying to help, but it seems like you are not looking to really get assistance at this point.  You still have not posted in that thread nor reported if you tried the restore that couple  of us have recommended.   I am sure you can sell your Vera and your device can be used with many other platforms like HomeSeer, Wink, Smart Things.

As for your BMW  & Mercedes comment,  you may want to  check out some pro systems for about $10,000 - $25,000 plus an annual maintenance fee. They will likely provide the level of service you need and it will work.. mostly.  You won't get Beta software, but the features you want will be available next year.  You chose a kit plane and expected a Gulfstream.

Offline kigmatzomat

Tell that to BMW or Mercedes when your car stops on the highway and they respond that oh, don't blame us that the car software stopped working since it is a BETA and not ours....

Actually this is like when you upgrade your garage door opener and complain that your BMW or Mercedes' built-in garage door opener stops working.  Or you complain to Microsoft that after putting iOS 666 on your iPhone that Windows doesn't recognize it.

Most every one here has some complaint about vera but "I upgraded the firmware on a 3rd party device so now it's not supported" isn't one that is going to get many backers.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Most every one here has some complaint about vera but "I upgraded the firmware on a 3rd party device so now it's not supported" isn't one that is going to get many backers.

How many devices does vera make or produce that connects to a vera? Hint........ the anwser is zero.
So that means every device is 3rd party you own and vera has no responsibility to anything working well or correctly, by your standards..... which is why we are in this problem we are in now.

No communication or responsibility.

We already determined that vera plus comes pre-installed with hue plugin which we know doesn't work. We also know no updates have been released for any vera in 5 months......... I'm sure they will fix or update the plugin at some point.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:14:20 am by integlikewhoa »

Offline Grwebster

Here is the problem.  The plugins are for the most part 3rd party, and the people that create them make nothing.  Vera is not going to check to make sure they continue to work.  If you rely heavily on 3rd party plugins you are at risk of losing functionality if the developer does not track upcoming changes and update the plugin.  Since the developer does not get any compensation they are prone to dropping support.  It is much better to minimize 3rd party plugins or understand that you are at the mercy of the moods of the developer when you do use one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Here is the problem.  The plugins are for the most part 3rd party, and the people that create them make nothing.  Vera is not going to check to make sure they continue to work.  If you rely heavily on 3rd party plugins you are at risk of losing functionality if the developer does not track upcoming changes and update the plugin.  Since the developer does not get any compensation they are prone to dropping support.  It is much better to minimize 3rd party plugins or understand that you are at the mercy of the moods of the developer when you do use one.

This is true but then on systems like HomeSeer where plugin developers are paid (depending on if the developer choose to charge or join the official plugin list) there is complaints from the user's that the plugins cost money and VERA is cheaper. 5-10 plugins on Homeseer could potentially cost up to 300.00 alone depending on which plugins. There is sometimes even complaints from the developers that they are held accountable for updates and making sure the product works or HomeSeer cuts them off. So people complain either way, but I pay for plugins on HomeSeer. Some money goes to the developer for his time and some money goes to HomeSeer to play the middle man and make sure plugins stay working or the user gets refunded.

VERA probley doesn't charge enough (and its a one time charge, which leads to problems down the road as supporting a plugin is on going) to have a team of developers to make only official plugins (and even the ones they do make now are beta and they don't guarantee anything) and they don't have anything setup for individuals developers to get paid to make plugins, so basically they have no plan of attack and it's a free for all. This has led us to have a alot of plugins for free but the quality or responsibility is not always there. And even when developer's do their best sometimes its on the vera side that they get no or limited help to support them. Richard and the PLEG plugin have been battling ui7 issues (and I know vera has participated) but the issue or blame gets passed around and not solved with the help of VERA.

Offline Grwebster

This is true but then on systems like HomeSeer where plugin developers are paid (depending on if the developer choose to charge or join the official plugin list) there is complaints from the user's that the plugins cost money and VERA is cheaper. 5-10 plugins on Homeseer could potentially cost up to 300.00 alone depending on which plugins. There is sometimes even complaints from the developers that they are held accountable for updates and making sure the product works or HomeSeer cuts them off. So people complain either way, but I pay for plugins on HomeSeer. Some money goes to the developer for his time and some money goes to HomeSeer to play the middle man and make sure plugins stay working or the user gets refunded.

VERA probley doesn't charge enough (and its a one time charge, which leads to problems down the road as supporting a plugin is on going) to have a team of developers to make only official plugins (and even the ones they do make now are beta and they don't guarantee anything) and they don't have anything setup for individuals developers to get paid to make plugins, so basically they have no plan of attack and it's a free for all. This has led us to have a alot of plugins for free but the quality or responsibility is not always there. And even when developer's do their best sometimes its on the vera side that they get no or limited help to support them. Richard and the PLEG plugin have been battling ui7 issues (and I know vera has participated) but the issue or blame gets passed around and not solved with the help of VERA.
Agreed.  I used luup code in place of PLEG just because of possibility of issues.  I don't do anything too fancy though.

Offline hmspain

Any "best practices" with regard to Vera Plus and Hue today?  From reading this thread, I came to the conclusion that I should remove ALL Hue plugins (I have two enabled) and use native Hue support on the Vera Plus?

Yes, this will most likely break all my scenes, and I'll have to rebuild Hue from scratch.  Won't be the first time...
VeraPlus, Nest Cameras (6), Siren, Hue Bulbs/Strips/Blooms (65), Fan Dimmer (6), Aeon 4-in-1s (10), Water Sensors (3), Z-Wave Switches (20), Nest Smoke/CO Protects (5), Ecobee 3, HEM Gen2s (2)