Author Topic: Keen Smart Vent  (Read 4418 times)

Offline Nutron

Re: Keen Smart Vent
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 07:09:25 pm »
Yes I ran the scene a couple of times. I initially created the Vent devices on whatever firmware came on the Plus. Earlier today I updated the firmware to this new Beta. Wonder if I need to delete the devices and recreate them under the newer Firmware??? I have two more vents that I've yet to add to the system. I'm gonna go unbox one and try it.

Nope! Not that. I just paired a new vent on new Beta firmware following the blend of both our instructions. I am still not obtaining the Variable 'CurrentTemperature' in the list of variables available through the Advanced tab. Hmmmm... Now it's my turn to wonder what is different between your system and mine.  ;)
72 nodes, 285 devices, 3 Zigbee devices, 14 apps, 17 scenes on a VeraPlus linked with Harmony, hue , and Echo via the fantastic HA-Bridge

Offline rafale77

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 10:22:41 pm »
Stupid question but are you sure you are looking at the variables list and not the parameter list?
127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 128 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline Nutron

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 11:24:09 am »
 :) There are no stupid questions. What I discovered was we had (Key word being had) different firmware versions. I had not gone to the new beta yet. So what did I do you ask? I installed the new beta firmware and have been losing my mind since. Lost connectivity with ALL vents, Lost access to PLEG's interface. Cannot seem to re-pair even a single vent. Should have stuck with the ole motto 'If it aint broke, don't fix it!" I was so determined to get those temperature readings from the vent. Errrrrrrrrr >:(

Update: Figured out how to reset each vent via the little black button right behind the louvers clicked a couple times. Have been able to re-pair vents and yes I now have the CurrentTemperature variable. Now if I can only figure out how to get the PLEG Next Gen UI to work I could actually use the vents as I had planned.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:10:34 pm by Nutron »
72 nodes, 285 devices, 3 Zigbee devices, 14 apps, 17 scenes on a VeraPlus linked with Harmony, hue , and Echo via the fantastic HA-Bridge

Offline rafale77

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 11:49:36 am »
The firmware is the difference. I found out that before the beta, I was on the latest official firmware which is 1.7.1754 and you were on 1.7.1786 which was an accidental leaked firmware on some VeraPlus shipment. The beta seems to improve the 1.7.1975 seems to improve the handling of the generic zigbee device pairing but broke a few things. I will probably downgrade to 1.7.1754 or 1786 once all my zigbee devices are added since in the short term, I will not be adding any more and I need a few apps using javascript to work.

PS to Nutron: I noticed the signature... lol.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:51:59 am by rafale77 »
127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 128 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline Nutron

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 10:08:03 pm »
Just a quick update: I was able to get PLEG Next Gen UI to work after installing the 'NewAndOld' file. Only issue seems to be intermittent loss of connection to ALL vents. I've not had the time or strength in the last few days to ferret out a pattern or clue to why all the vents will suddenly be blinking yellow and they do not reconnect to the VeraPlus on their own. I have to reload the Luup engine and all vents will suddenly flash green 3 quick times and be back to functional. I'm tempted to get a Keen Hub and just observe how well the vents function. 

Offline rafale77

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 01:32:13 pm »
Strange, I have not seen this problem except for one vent but that was because it is a little further than the others. Zigbee range is significantly worse than Zwave and it is not Vera's fault. The vents are battery operated so they don't act as network repeaters. I just had to take the vent out and walked 3 ft closer to the vera and it joined the network again without me having to do anything.
The fact that it is 2.4GHz makes it interfere with home wireless phones, BT, Wifi (and sonosnet) and a sludge of other devices (for me ecobee, plantlink and philips Hue). Keep your Zigbee channel at 25 so that at least it is further away from any Wifi frequency. The higher frequency Vs Zwave also makes it consume a lot more power to go through walls and reduces its range so plugged in devices like the hue work ok using a more powerful radio but battery operated ones are much more unstable. The worse is that every one is implementing their own proprietary zigbee network with its own level of protocol customization (Xbee for irobot roomba, some version for ecobee, philips hue controlling lights only etc...Ones who use the generic HA stack for zigbee tend to want to use their own hubs too: hue, plant link and keen.) so we end up with several networks clogging the spectrum and not being compatible with one another.
I am currently scratching my head on the implementation of another zigbee device: The plant link which has to reach a wider area in my yard. Similar problem: range and interference problems... Zigbee is really flawed in this regard. Much better designed for proprietary closed network than a general home automation hub concept.

Offline verso

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 02:34:38 am »
I've got a few Keen vents I'm trying to connect, but I can't find anything after July (where the issue was solved with a new firmware). My firmware on my VeraPlus is 1.7.2138 and when I try the instructions at the top of this thread, I get nowhere. As much as I enjoy waiting for a device that never replies, I'd really like to mix it up and get one of the vents working. Any ideas anyone has here are appreciated. So far I have:

- Reloaded luup
- Disconnected Hue hub and bulbs (to see if Zigbee had too much noise)
- Restarted the computer before trying to add
- Trying a different browser to add
- Moving the vent everywhere from an inch to 8-10 feet away
- Putting VeraPlus in different positions to see if there's a reception issue with the location
- Chanting the contents of a luup file at the stroke of midnight  :)

(Sorry, I've been trying to connect these for so long I might have gone a bit silly)

Open to all suggestions, up to and including actual chanting.

Offline bohemian

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 08:14:23 pm »
I managed to get my vents working by following the Window Covering modification referenced above. But now I'm having trouble controlling the vents.

Controlling them them via the device slider in Vera let's me open them to any amount I please. But trying to programmatically control them through PLEG, the only way to get them to open or shut seems to be to manipulate the urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1 SetLoadLevelTarget variable. The only problem is that setting this to any non zero value just opens the vent up all of the way - there's no ability to open only to 50% for example.

Attempts to do the same thing in PLEG through this code yields the same results:

local service_id = "urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1"
local action = "SetLoadLevelTarget"
local args = {newLoadlevelTarget=50}
local dev_num = 160 -- Vent device number
luup.call_action(service_id, action, args, dev_num)

What seems odd to me is that the same variable when viewed under the Advanced tab for the device itself corresponds exactly to the slider level and mirrors desired levels between fully open and fully closed. So what he Vera device code is ultimately sending to the vent versus PLEG is a mystery to me.

Poking around online, someone has code up on Git to add Keen Vents to Smarthings but, other than some Zigbee idiosyncrasies, nothing jumped out at me, so I am stalled for now.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? For the record, I'm not a LUA wiz but am capable of some cut and paste if there's some analogs out there.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:43:24 pm by bohemian »
VeraPlus, Ecobee, Legrand Adorne and too many Z-Wave devices to name

Offline rafale77

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 09:47:42 pm »
I managed to get my vents working by following the Window Covering modification referenced above. But now I'm having trouble controlling the vents.

Controlling them them via the device slider in Vera let's me open them to any amount I please. But trying to programmatically control them through PLEG, the only way to get them to open or shut seems to be to manipulate the urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1 SetLoadLevelTarget variable. The only problem is that setting this to any non zero value just opens the vent up all of the way - there's no ability to open only to 50% for example.

Attempts to do the same thing in PLEG through this code yields the same results:

local service_id = "urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1"
local action = "SetLoadLevelTarget"
local args = {newLoadlevelTarget=50}
local dev_num = 160 -- Vent device number
luup.call_action(service_id, action, args, dev_num)

What seems odd to me is that the same variable when viewed under the Advanced tab for the device itself corresponds exactly to the slider level and mirrors desired levels between fully open and fully closed. So what he Vera device code is ultimately sending to the vent versus PLEG is a mystery to me.

Poking around online, someone has code up on Git to add Keen Vents to Smarthings but, other than some Zigbee idiosyncrasies, nothing jumped out at me, so I am stalled for now.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? For the record, I'm not a LUA wiz but am capable of some cut and paste if there's some analogs out there.

I just tested your code and it works perfectly fine on my Keen vents...

Offline bohemian

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 10:20:09 pm »
I just tested your code and it works perfectly fine on my Keen vents...

Thanks for checking. And of course, it's now working for me too.

Sometimes I think just posting on the forum makes things work. Some hidden super secret API between this forum and my Vera no doubt ;)

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 07:05:29 pm »
Naw, no API. We just hack into your system and fix things  8)
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline bohemian

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 07:17:35 pm »
Now that things are all happy between Vera and my Keen vents, I now have something that ties my vents together nicely with my Ecobee thermostat and its various climate settings. The Keen app claims to do some of that, but the degree of control isn't very granular (six hour windows) and it's really just leveraging the Ecobee's remote sensors (admittedly a strong suit of the Ecobee) as an input.

Minus the inevitable ongoing scope creep that is home automation, at this point I've put all of my vents under Vera control and relegated the Keen hub to (hopefully) a Zigbee repeater.

I've also created what I think is a low battery alert for the vents, which looks at a power level variable which may (or may not)  represent some 0-31 scale representation of battery power for the vent. I will see if that variable actually changes over time.

Offline questusa

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 04:18:24 am »
 :o
Can't pair Keen vent to my VeraPlus.
Controller doesn't see Vent at all.

I downgraded to 1.7.1754 - same thing
I upgraded to 1.7.1975(beta) - same thing
I upgraded to "latest and greatest" 1.7.2935 - same thing

Is there any trick?

Really like these vents and want them to be paired...

Please help.

Thanks

Offline rafale77

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 11:01:57 pm »
:o
Can't pair Keen vent to my VeraPlus.
Controller doesn't see Vent at all.

I downgraded to 1.7.1754 - same thing
I upgraded to 1.7.1975(beta) - same thing
I upgraded to "latest and greatest" 1.7.2935 - same thing

Is there any trick?

Really like these vents and want them to be paired...

Please help.

Thanks

How are you attempting to pair? You know you have to go into the zigbee devices and add a generic zigbee device right?

Offline questusa

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 06:57:28 am »
Issue solved.
I migrated from Vera2 to VeraPlus about a 3 months ago and seems like ZigBee doesn't work properly on my unit.
Vera support provided HTTP link to enable ZigBee pairing and now I have paired 5 Vents.

Another problem: Vera lose connection to Vents very often and I have to reload it :/