Author Topic: Keen Smart Vent  (Read 5432 times)

Offline bohemian

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Keen Smart Vent
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 11:58:59 am »
The only other residual weirdness I'm seeing is that Vera seems to think that my Keen Vent 'Window Coverings' are in fact smoke sensors. At least when I view devices by type. Doesn't impact anything but sure looks odd.
VeraPlus, Ecobee, Legrand Adorne and too many Z-Wave devices to name

Online rafale77

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 07:10:42 pm »
I am not and have never seen this. Are you sure you have your device category and subcategory set correctly?
Openluup (18 devices, 58 scenes, 11 apps) and iobroker controlling VeraPlus with 116 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 7 apps, 244 vera devices, 79 scenes; VeraEdge (0 node, 26 devices, 6 App, 0 scene); Bridged to Homekit and Alexa.

Offline bohemian

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 08:21:57 pm »
device_type = urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:WindowCovering:1
device_file = D_WindowCovering1.xml
device_JSON = D_WindowCovering1.json

So, nothing jumps out as 'Smoke Sensor' to me.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 09:19:24 pm »
You have to look at the advanced properties of the device: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline bohemian

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:25 pm »
You have to look at the advanced properties of the device: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories

Yeah, category_num and subcategory_num were both set to 4 for all vents. Odd, since I didn't set them manually.
Changed them to match the respective window covering categories for what it was worth. Thanks for the pointer.

Offline Teken

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 03:02:23 pm »
For those having used these automated vents. Would you purchase them again? Any pros and cons of these vents not already listed in this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bohemian

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2017, 04:01:42 pm »
For those having used these automated vents. Would you purchase them again?

I would purchase them again. Keep in mind that I'm solving a very specific problem - vents working with my Ecobee to send more airflow to our small second floor for pre-bed cooling / heating. Other than that, I'm not getting too sophisticated.

Once set up, the seem to work well although it would nice if we could get battery access to things like battery level and other Keen Vent variables. So, a specific Keen device for Vera, rather than 'tricking' Vera into thinking these are window blinds. That's less on  the vents than it is some smart Vera developer though.

Offline jadragescu

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2017, 05:12:59 pm »
Has anyone had a problem pairing more than 6 - 8 vents (like the forum link below)?  I had no problem pairing 5 of these vents, but after that, VeraPlus would not add anymore.  Vera support had no clue, and mentioned this forum and just said that they don't support this keen vent on there website.  :(

I did a work around with Wink 2 hub, and its plugin, but I personally don't like that solution as it isn't that seamless, and there is a delay of course.  Lastly, whats the point of VeraPlus Zigbee controller then?....

Any thoughts/help?  It would be greatly appreciated!

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,49059.msg321957.html#msg321957

Offline bohemian

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 05:52:27 pm »
I'm running exactly 5 vents right now and they work fine.

I'll be adding a couple more when they start shipping again and will update this thread with the results. I was originally going to go the Wink route, but had trouble getting it to work with my VeraPlus.

Online rafale77

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 02:02:52 am »
I am running 6 of these and have not had any issues. I did read somewhere of a strange limitation to 8 zigbee device though but never observed it myself.
Openluup (18 devices, 58 scenes, 11 apps) and iobroker controlling VeraPlus with 116 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 7 apps, 244 vera devices, 79 scenes; VeraEdge (0 node, 26 devices, 6 App, 0 scene); Bridged to Homekit and Alexa.

Offline jadragescu

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2017, 08:28:40 pm »
Can you tell me what your Zigbee channel you use perhaps?  I am not to familiar with Zigbee (veraPlus/settings) and how to tweek it/etc.

Mine stop pairing/including after 6 vents, so please beware (if your getting more than 6 or so.  I have a total of 16 of these vents, and would love to just use Vera, but forced to use Wink because of this limitation.

If you have any news on this, that would be great. 

I asked Vera support to see what they could do to help, unfortunately they mentioned they don't officially support this device, and pointed me to this forum.  :(

Unfortunate that Smartthings and Wink and Iris support this device fully, but not Vera thus far (without limitation).

Cheers!

Online rafale77

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 01:43:24 am »
Well I added my 9th Zigbee device tonight and it appears to work just fine so I am not seeing any limitations. I also have 6 keen vents and did add a 7th one at some point I did not see any problem at that time as I was thinking the limitation was at 8.

Offline jadragescu

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 05:32:41 pm »
Thank you for your feedback.  I don't believe the limitation is with other zigbee devices.  So you can have several other devices paired/included.  The limitation is on these vents.  I believe my limitation was 6, only because I had 2 other Keen vents paired/included before, but had issues with them, so I excluded them.  I am guessing, those 2 still have residual in my Vera controller (even if excluded), hence that I only have 6 included.  :(

I will try to perhaps exclude them all and try again from scratch.  I am afraid that if I exclude them, I won't be able to add anymore (from above analysis).  This just boggles my mind, why/how a limitation would even be such a thing on a controller (unless lack of memory on unit/etc).

Any other help here, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Offline bohemian

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 01:05:01 am »
Just added two new Keen vents and things were a little different this time around. My previous five vents behaved as described in the first post on this thread. But new vents are now defaulting to a Stelpro STZB402+ ZigBee Thermostat device type. This has two interesting side effects.

First, Vera now creates a companion temperature device in addition to the thermostat. Second, I know have to change the device_type schema as well or the device won't save or configure properly. After a bunch of trail and error, here's the revised steps that now work for me (copying an abridged version of Nutorn's more through steps):

From Vera's main screen go to 'Devices'
Select 'Add Device'
Select 'Generic ZigBee' and begin Vera's three step process
Step 1: Select Your Device
         Click 'next' to get started.
Step 2: Pair Your Device
         Pull the teal battery strip to power the vent
         Click 'next' to begin the pairing process
         Once the device is discovered and added you will be prompted to name the device and assign it to a room.
Step 3:        Give it a name and assign it to a room.
Step 4: Refresh browser window

Step 5: Access the devices' 'settings' and select the 'Advanced' tab. Locate and change the following to match these entries:

device_type = urn:schemas-micasaverde-com:device:WindowCovering:1
     device_file = D_WindowCovering1.xml
     device_json = D_WindowCovering1.json

You must click outside the field's input box for the changes to be sent to the controller. I also had to change the following to match the values shown below:

category_num = 8
     subcategory_num = 1

Once done, click the 'Back' button and select 'Save Changes'. You should now see the device's icon has changed to the Window Covering icon and you will have full control of your vent using the 'Open', 'Close' buttons as well as the percentage slider.

Step 6: Delete the phantom temperature sensor device that was created along with the initial thermostat device. Doing so before you make the other changes seems to make the vent disappear from the Vera UI. This was a big chunk of the trial and error I encountered.

I'm not sure if this change in initial device type is due to some new firmware on later Keen vents, or a change in Vera firmware since then (I'm currently running Version 1.7.3232 on my VeraPlus) but both of my last two vents (received due to a wrong part being sent by Keen) behaved the same way. Hopefully this will save someone else some grief down the road.

it sure would be nice if these vents could be supported as first class devices some day, but these hacks seem to work for now.

Offline treetop777

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 06:43:54 pm »
Nice how-to.  Thanks.