Author Topic: Aeon HEM Gen 1 wrong readings  (Read 2598 times)

Offline MEB

  • Sr. Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 38
  • Karma: +0/-1
Aeon HEM Gen 1 wrong readings
« on: May 31, 2016, 09:17:26 am »
So my HEM was not function properly and I contacted Vera and they told me it needed a firmware update and to contact Aeon, so I did that and they sent me two new FW V3.67 and V3.64, I first installed .67 and repaired the HEM to vera, at first it worked but then it began to exhibit strangeness with the readings so i thought I should try .64 so I flashed that and now my readings are 300000+ watts. I am not powering a super collider so its gotta be wrong. Any settings I need to check or do i just need to contact Aeon?

Vera said to not bother them again with it since they don't know. Seems like their support has taken a dive in the last year, last time I had a issue they worked with me for days to solve it and replied within a hour now its days before they reply.

Attached a pic.


Offline 4Crawler

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 76
  • Karma: +2/-0
Re: Aeon HEM Gen 1 wrong readings
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 10:16:55 am »
I had similar issues with my HEMg1 and ended up using 3.62 firmware.  Anything later seemed to cause things like the high readings you mention.

Offline MEB

  • Sr. Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 38
  • Karma: +0/-1
Re: Aeon HEM Gen 1 wrong readings
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 10:01:13 pm »
Where can I get version 3.62 FW? Aeon only sent me 64 and 67.

Offline 4Crawler

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 76
  • Karma: +2/-0
Re: Aeon HEM Gen 1 wrong readings
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 05:22:09 pm »
I recall downloading it off the Vera site, under the set up instructions for the HEMg1 a year or so ago.

Offline jjwatmyself

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 73
  • Karma: +0/-0
Re: Aeon HEM Gen 1 wrong readings
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 01:37:02 pm »
This is tested on Vera 2 running UI5.

Summary:

Recommend HEM powered by USB, not battery and then configure in Vera also:

 - Upgrade firmware to 3.67
 - as USB powered (not battery)
 - disable deltas
 - set a single report group
 - send all values every 20 seconds
 - Optional method to hide _ Generic IO
 - Optional method to calibrate

How to configure HEM in VERA:

Firmware version 3.67 is posted on wiki, but not on Aeon's own web site. Download link can be found at:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Aeon_HomeEnergyMonitor

Click the main device, settings, Device options, Add configuration settings (one for every line shown below):

Variable / Data Size / Desired Value (see screen shot)

3 1bD 0 (disable deltas)

101 4bD 0 (report group 1 disabled)

103 4bD 6926 (report group 3 all settings)

111 4bD 720 (report group 1 every 720 seconds)

113 4bD 20 (report group 3 every 20 seconds)

20 mon (verify is 1 = USB power)

12 mon (verify is 0 = battery related)

102 mon (verify is 0 report group 2 disabled)

112 mon (verify is 720 report group 2 interval)

_ Generic IO can be hidden as follows:

Click Apps, Develop Apps, Test Luup script (insert the device ID at the end of the item you want to hide. In this case 47)

Code: [Select]
luup.attr_set("invisible", "1", 47)

How to calibrate KWH...

Feb 23
Vera 235.2970 KWH
Meter 4991 KWH

Feb 26
Vera 272.6540 KWH
Meter 5021 KWH

Delta
Vera 37.357 KWH
Meter 30 KWH

Approx 24% too high (37.357 / 30)

120 /1.24 = 96.36

Change Voltage from 120 to 97, i.e. Device option Variable 1, update from 120 to 97 (see screenshot)

You should play with this in order to find what works for you.  You will see the calibration using this method works in principle!  I am current(ly LOL) set to 95 and have not checked the values in a couple months.

Related materials:

Configuring Register 101-103 for HEM Gen 1 and Gen 2 http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3366.0;attach=21720;image

Credit to Hexasoarus for the splaining and the work on the Excel file: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.msg213636.html#msg213636

Binary to Decimal to Hexadecimal Converter: https://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-decimal-hexadecimal-converter.html

Useful link. Most of the values described are incorrect IMO, hence the importance of using the chart and binary converter. http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,3366.msg94937.html#msg94937
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:11:20 pm by jjwatmyself »

Offline MEB

  • Sr. Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 38
  • Karma: +0/-1
Re: Aeon HEM Gen 1 wrong readings
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 08:43:09 am »
So I got everything running properly but when I kill my main breaker the HEM still reports usage of 600 watts. Any ideas?

Offline tt55du

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 211
  • Karma: +0/-0
Re: Aeon HEM Gen 1 wrong readings
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 10:39:19 pm »
@MEB

Did the 600 watts occur after the calibration that  jjwatmyself tested?

I followed this post
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,29935.15.html

and after the fw update to 3.67 I got the wonky readings.  I followed the one step on the pdf that tells you to add a new device option and it locked up the HEM, so I removed the setting and forced a configure and it appears to be working again. I can't tell you why the wonky reading went away, but I suspect the setting did not work because he was running UI5 (in the pdf directions) and I'm running UI7

Anyway, I also inserted the LUUP code to reset the KWH reading and that works very well.

I had my central air on and was nearly 4000Watts, when it shut off it went down to 1500, so it works (in a relative sense), but I'm not ready to shut the main off without battery backup to test your zero reading.

I have access to a fluke clamp at work that I will borrow and compare right in the electric box.