Author Topic: Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor  (Read 11885 times)

Offline jchin

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2018, 10:12:36 pm »
I would suggest contact Vera support.
Maybe there is something wrong and when they remote in, they can fix it in the settings (that are hidden from the web interface).
Just a guess because mine worked after contacting them, resetting the device and doing my steps (post above). 

Offline XA44Owq26HxCq88

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2018, 05:18:26 pm »
Spent an hour on the phone with Vera. The tech couldn't figure it out. Suggested that I wait for the Official Integration, but couldn't tell me when that might happen. The tech from ZOOZ blamed the problem on Vera. So,,, it's going back. I love a problem as much as the next person, but when it gets to the manufacturer blaming Vera and Vera not being able to get the unit to work properly, it's time to jump ship. Back to Amazon it goes. I'll try the Aeotec Multisensor 6

Offline XA44Owq26HxCq88

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2018, 06:04:32 pm »
Just an update, heard from the tech at ZOOZ. (They have been very responsive to my issues BTW.)
They've tested a new unit and found it to be operating correctly. They have sent it to me. I'll keep everyone posted about what happens.

Offline rafale77

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2018, 04:52:01 pm »
I am ready to bet that part of the problem is that they tested it on a vera with very few device and that your problem is because you have a real life system with more than 1 zwave device. The vera then goes nuts and somehow can't keep up with the signals from the sensors. It is very likely a vera problem.

I am increasingly observing signal misses with the latest beta firmware... The sensors don't always untrip as expected and they occasionally trip for no reason.
Openluup (93 devices, 88 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (132 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 202 devices, 71 scenes , 3 apps) +  Bridged to Homekit and Alexa.

Offline XA44Owq26HxCq88

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2018, 12:04:26 am »
rafale77 -
So you think that VeraPlus is unable to handle multiple zwave devices? Or is it a combination of this specific device and a reasonable setup? Or large numbers of sensors. I've got about 30 actual hardware devices and a few virtual devices (Weather underground, etc). Some of the hardware devices have "child" devices. My vera devices number designations are now at 104, but a lot of the number designations no longer exist (removed devices, etc. This attempt to add this unit multiple times added about 20 designations alone.)

Got the new "tested" unit today. Will report on my success (hopefully) or failure.

Offline rafale77

« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2018, 01:39:41 am »
@XA44Owq26HxCq88

Wish you good luck with the sensor. I am very afraid though that it is indeed the number of device which plays a major factor. As you can see in my sig, I have 130 zwave nodes on my Vera Plus. At 50 I started having problems and as the system grows reliability just get worse and worse. These same sensors I had no problem pairing 2 years ago now are a royal pain. I spent many hours testing and a few more with CS on the phone trying to resolve this. At the end I managed to add back this 4 in 1 sensor to my system apparently out of sheer luck and after 50 tries... My device number is out in the 600s. Based on how fast it exchanged security keys on the one time I was successful, I concluded that the vera is just too slow during the pairing process and missed the key.
I later installed the beta 26 firmware with the new 6.x zwave SDK which is supposed to improve handling of large systems. These days, I am getting a rash (at least once a day) of missed untrip signals, false positive trip signals from security class devices. All other devices seem to work ok except for a single event of complete freeze of the zwave interface a few days ago. I just keep sensing that the vera can't keep up with the two (zwave and zigbee) radios on my "large" system. I am also geting occasional "device offline" "Can't detect" messages due to the vera missing the polling response from the device. I am well on my way to obsoleting it now which I will do gradually...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 01:44:04 am by rafale77 »
Openluup (93 devices, 88 scenes, 20 apps) controlling HomeAss + VeraPlus (132 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 202 devices, 71 scenes , 3 apps) +  Bridged to Homekit and Alexa.

Offline XA44Owq26HxCq88

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2018, 12:09:02 pm »
An update on my progress -

Got the unit installed, physically next to the old unit, so I can compare the two (there's a third motion detector nearby that I use as a base line for motion)

Surprisingly, it installed into Vera while in it's ultimate position, not within 10 feet of the VeraPlus unit as I would normally do. I did this as an experiment, just to see. So, despite being 2 zwave units (links) away in the mesh, Vera recognized and installed it as a generic Zwave unit. I went through the (elsewhere in this discussion chain) described changes in the file, xml, json files, corrected the type numbers (4&3) and the VariablesSet values.

It changed to a motion detector and responded correctly. BUT, I had no "child" units (temp, humid, lux). There was a warning label on the device stating that it could not determine the manufacturer. (the manufacture variable was blank)

I let it sit overnight and in the morning the child units appeared. Don't know when. Also, the  manufacturer variable was now filled.

It reported motion, temp, etc. The old unit also reported motion, temp, etc. Tracking both units over the day, the old unit stopped reporting for about 5 hours, and then began reporting again. The new unit continued reporting each time I checked.

This morning, both units are reporting. When I say reporting, I mean that their temp, etc. values have changed from the previous reporting. I don't know about the accuracy of those reports, just that they had changed in the interval. The temps are different from one another even though they are next to one another. Sometimes by as much as 6 degrees, sometimes within a degree.

They do seem to trigger motion detection more frequently than the base line unit, not sure why that is, but I can work with that, maybe adjust the sensitivity.

And, BTW, both are displaying a warning notice "Waiting for wakeup to configure device..."

Does anyone know how I could log the temperatures to a file over time, without having to access the system and write down the numbers? I'd be able to monitor the units performance over time with a much more granular data set.

I am hopeful....

Offline rafale77

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2018, 12:23:37 pm »
This is kind of a funny thought but when I think about it, the one time I succesfully re-included my device, I was the furthest away from the vera. It is possible that the several hops actually added latency to the zwave network and allowed more time for the vera to be ready to accept the security key...

You could push the wake button with a pin again to see if it gets rid of the "waiting for device to wakeup to configure".  This generally is because the vera did not receive a response from its poll. Also likely because the vera is too slow/busy and missed the response the zwave chip transmitted.

There is a number of solutions to logging your variables. emoncm, datayours, ALTUI timeline etc...

Offline XA44Owq26HxCq88

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2018, 02:18:00 pm »
rafale77, thanks for the tip about the data logging. I'll look into that option. The warning notice under the device appears to not impact the unit, at least once it's set up, so I'm going to ignore it for now.

New Unit still reporting updates. The old one is stuck since 7 this morning. I'm getting the box ready for it to be returned on Monday.