We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor  (Read 21628 times)

Offline rge

Re: Zooz ZSE40 4-in-1 Sensor
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2018, 02:33:32 pm »
Thanks for the info - I'm not sure about your last statement, are you saying the device has a buggy key exchange implementation or Vera does?

Sounds like Home Assistant is better than Vera, at least on this device, what is your overall experience?  Why keep the Vera as well?

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
  • HA ≠ IoT as a blue sky is cloudless.
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2018, 04:27:15 pm »
Thanks for the info - I'm not sure about your last statement, are you saying the device has a buggy key exchange implementation or Vera does?

Sounds like Home Assistant is better than Vera, at least on this device, what is your overall experience?  Why keep the Vera as well?

It is very clearly a vera issue and it isn't the only device which has been finicky with the vera. I still have all of my automation on openLuup and use the vera only as a device bridge. The Verabridge and familiarity with openLuup is the main reason I am keeping it for now although adding homeassistant is a first move towards migration. The positive is that I learned probably more about zwave network and openwrt than I would ever have had it not have any problems...

About Homeassistant, I am still learning about it. It definitely takes a lot more work to setup and the device support is still under development. I had to rebuild the openzwave portion and move it to 1.5 in order to make it support my locks and garage doors. It tries to cover so much that it is actually very slow evolving for any single topic. I found it better suited to be an API bridge for now.
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline rge

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2018, 10:34:50 am »
I gave up on Vera, now I'm migrating to HomeSeer, currently running a trial with it on a Raspberry Pi with RaZberry card.

Seems really solid, fully supports all the (small number of) devices I have - it quite happily handles both of the 4-in-1 sensors and doesn't need a hack for the Fibaro dual switches.

The biggest out-of-the-box lack is dataMine - there's a history plugin but it's not great.  However, there's easy instructions on the forums for logging to Influx and using Grafana which is are incredibly flexible and powerful and happily run on the Pi as well.

The UI is basically about as bad as UI7 - it's ten years out-of-date, but at least it doesn't have 50%+ whitespace...  ahe standard HSTouch phone app is shocking, but then the free HSBuddy is perfect.

And it has zero connectivity to any external site if you don't want/need it, unlike the annoying Vera login requirements for some pages.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 11:53:27 am »
Some observation on these sensors.

As previously reported, they are as painful as can be to configure on the vera plus as the secure key exchange and the overal communication takes a lot of trials to execute in big part because of the vera somehow missing communications back from the sensor during the inclusion and configuration process, I suspect because it is too busy trying to do deal with the additional 3 sensors and saving them to the user-data.json. Since mine is fairly big with over 100 devices, and the luup reloads are out of control, it tends to get corrupted.

1. There is a trick to not restart a new inclusion or configuration process when one fails. Instead repeatedly cycling between waking the sensor and forcing a luup reload eventually finishes the configuration. It can take up to 20 cycles. I generally got there in 5 or 6. I first securely include the device in my zwave network with home assistant to be sure it is properly included with a secure key as the vera switches between secure and non secure inclusion without user?s knowledge. (I had a couple included non-securely)

2. I had a couple of devices having ghost intermittent presence detections. After my last reinclusion, they all disappeared. I am left with only which I have never reincluded. I am no longer suspecting the previous devices to be defective. Instead it is some data corruption on the vera misunderstanding a battery level change or some other wake event from the sensor for a motion event. The proof is that the exact same sensor which had issues before, no longer have any on the same network and same vera. It reminds me that I retired a couple of older vision 2 in 1 sensors some years ago having the same problem suspecting that they were defective and they may just have been corrupted vera database or zwave chip data.

3. The vera auto configuration fails in absurd ways repeatedly trying to create child devices, which, having no name automatically get deleted on the next luup reloads which is triggered by who knows what and creating new ones and repeating the cycle again, running up device numbers all with inexplicable and unneeded automatic luup reloads in between which I am certain are eventually causing data corruption on the entire system. ALTUI is very helpful in that respect allowing you to name the devices in between luup reloads to prevent them from getting deleted and break the cycle.

4. Another problem I reported in another thread is the device showing up as ?cannot detected?. I have investigated and concluded that the device must be somehow tagged by the zwave radio chip as bad as part of its list and the vera just reports this info. I have observed the tag to come back every 9-10min as I used a command on the vera to untag it from the UI when the wake up interval is 30min and the polling frequency is an hour. It made no sense to me. All 4 functions of the sensor yet still work perfectly. It just keeps coming back as ?cannot detect?. Eventually I was forced to unpair and re-add (painfully) the device to the network. This same device has now been working perfectly for over a month. This was started after the device ran out of battery...
openLuup (79 devices, 141 scenes, 19 apps) master to VeraPlus (142 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 221 devices,  20 scenes , 2 apps) +  Hubitat (15 Zigbee nodes) + Home-Assistant (API Integrations). Bridged to Siri and Alexa. Homewave. VeraPlus ExtRooted and mios server independent.

Offline rafale77

• Community Beta
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2019, 02:10:03 am »
Another one ran out of battery today and I had the same problem after changing out the battery: Sensor works perfectly but kept coming back every 5-10min as "can't detect device" and roughly 2hrs after a luup reload or a device wake up. I had to come back to this thread and now I can definitely confirm that the data saying the device has a problem is from the zwave dongle chip. I started a reconfiguration of the device which somehow succeeded immediately and then recovered from a 5min old backup which preceded this reconfiguration to avoid having reconfigure and play with the child devices. The user-data.json being the same (I checked all the device parameters and variables) the device stopped showing as "can't detect". If it is not the user data on the vera or the device configuration, since it remained the same, it has to come from the zwave chip... My other controller (home assistant) does not have this problem. This is a vera firmware bug.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2019, 09:22:02 pm »
Just received this device and started working on including it.  I had similar problems as others.  I did follow the Zooz instructions, http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/42-how-to-connect-your-4in1-sensor-to-vera/ and this did fix the motion sensor appearing correctly in Vera.

I do not have any reporting so I followed this: http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/128-my-4in1-sensor-is-not-reporting-correctly-on-vera/. Woke the device after setting the wake-up interval.

At this point I'll give it a day to settle in and then try other things to get reporting to work.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2019, 07:15:44 pm »
Doing a little digging, it seems I needed to be on the latest firmware.  Updated that, excluded/includes the device, and it all seems to work fairly well.

I am updating some of the parameters so it performs to my liking and thus far, I am having issues with 2 of them.  I'll just keep reading the manual and playing. Glad to see Vera had incorporated this device.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2019, 07:50:12 pm »
It appears the parameter 4 range when Vera set up the device did not match the manual. The attached screen shot matches the manual and is working.

I am still having problems with parameter 5. I have left it the default 15 seconds for motion reset but 255 and 180 do not work.  The manual does not give any guidance.

I'll keep searching.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2019, 08:22:12 pm »
Well, that did not take long. The OpenHAB discussion group had a thread that the new device with the CR123A battery has a motion parameter range of 15-60.  I confirmed this on their website: http://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/57-how-to-change-the-advanced-settings-for-your-4in1-sensor-in-vera/.

I encourage everyone to tweak the device settings displayed to match so you do not "break" the sensor.