Author Topic: Any news on the aeon-labs multi sensor  (Read 279520 times)

Offline Dan S.

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Any news on the aeon-labs multi sensor
« Reply #360 on: March 12, 2013, 01:42:45 pm »
@oTi@

Thanks for your reply.

After excluding/including, noticed I wasn't getting sensor updates for a long time if at all. Noticed the wakeup and poll interval was set to 1080. Did a configuration (on the motion sensor), setting the values to 720 and 360 (RexBeckett's values) and the sensors immediately updated.

I guess that even on USB power, the default wakeup/polling options need to be updated.

Offline Dan S.

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #361 on: March 12, 2013, 01:50:33 pm »
@oti

A second thought--maybe sensors are not updating because I have the motion sensor set at bypass after sunrise (per schedule) to prevent turining lights on during the day. Can the the multisensor wake up and be polled if it is in the bypass mode?

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #362 on: March 12, 2013, 03:16:54 pm »
Wake-up should not be relevant when USB-powered, as the device is always awake. The poll value is important. Polling should work independent of the arm/bypass mode.

(Alternatively, if you're looking to get sensor updates in a fixed interval, one way to accomplish that might be to set the poll value to 0 and set up a scheduled scene that does a forced poll.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:19:01 pm by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline Sierek

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #363 on: March 12, 2013, 03:30:03 pm »
 The multisensor can wake up and be polled if it is in the bypass mode. My sensor haven't any problem with it.

Wysłane z N8010 za pomocą Tapatalk

Offline JimMac

« Reply #364 on: March 13, 2013, 11:57:30 am »
Aeon also sent me the same scripted response.  I found it very vague and only invites lots of questions.  I asked for clarification two weeks ago but so far no answer back.  What I wanted to know is how can users determine if they have an bad sensor?  Is there a manufacture date, version or any other way to determine what units have a quote; "hardware problem". 

I just received two new units last week and they have the same false motion trigger problem so in my opinion I don't think they found the source of the problem and are just replacing units without a solution.  Until they indicate what is going on I don't want to waste my time and shipping costs just to receive another "hardware problem" unit.
Aeon has this forum link and I'm hoping that they can respond to all of our questions here.

Important information
The cause of the false spikes has been found. According to Chris at Aeon Labs, the problem with false triggers is due to faulty hardware.
I was asked to replace my units at the retailer, so that's what I will do. I'm just wondering how to make sure the replaced hardware is fixed. Have they started shipping out working units yet (anyone without the problem already)?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:05:59 pm by JimMac »

Offline Dan S.

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #365 on: March 13, 2013, 01:51:50 pm »
Thought everything was working fine after resetting polling parameters. But noticed this morning light level was stuck on 0% and when I forced a poll it immediately updated to 1000%. It seems that scheduling the multisensor to go to bypass mode on sunrise causes everything to stop. The multisensor also shows that it is bypassed and tripped and stays stuck in the tripped mode. The sensor is not being polled except when I manually poll it. Maybe scheduling the armed/bypass mode is not a good idea. It should work, but seems to cause polling problems. Perhaps I should leave it armed all the time and just use some Luup code to stop the trigger during daytime as someone else in this thread said they did.

Offline Dan S.

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #366 on: March 14, 2013, 06:21:12 pm »
Well the plot thickens. Added some alerts to see what was going on. Also added Luup code to force a poll when placed in bypass mode at sunrise. Is definitely polling during the day now when it is bypassed. The reason I thought it was always in tripped mode during the day is that it seems to trip with every poll when in bypass mode, then it untrips after its 4 minute wait and then trips again (6 minute poll time). Also noticed that the red led on the sensor is a steady red when armed and blinks in the bypass mode. My guess is that when it is in bypass mode it behaves like when on battery, i.e., trips the motion sensor on poll. When in armed mode I get no false trips. No harm in the tripping when it is bypassed, but is odd behavior. Also noticed that early morning temperature is high, e.g. in 50's when it is in the  high 30's outside. My guess this is because sensor becomes heated from being constantly on in armed mode usb power. Later on during the day in bypass mode it comes down to reasonable readings.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #367 on: March 14, 2013, 11:19:46 pm »
The Bypass/Arm functionality is offered by Vera, not the sensor. An An armed sensor is tripped trigger will not fire while the associated sensor is in bypass. But the tripped state will still be reported by the sensor / the guy will still turn red or green (and may cause other triggers to fire).

Polling should be independent from the arm/bypass state.

Offline Dan S.

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #368 on: March 14, 2013, 11:30:35 pm »
@oTi

Thanks, I didn't know that about the armed/bypass option. On reading through the entries in this section and based on the info you provided, I am just experiencing all of the difficulties with polling, false trips that others have had but my hypotheses as to their cause is obviously wrong. Strange that I get no false trips at night.

Offline Dan S.

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #369 on: March 15, 2013, 12:29:25 pm »
So, after a day of almost constant motion trips during the day, all is quite today now and polling and results all seem as I would expect. I also downloaded version 1.5.622 firmware. This was the firmware version shown in the Aeon 4 in 1 mios wiki. Did not seem to change anything as I downloaded early yesterday.

Offline Dan S.

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #370 on: March 15, 2013, 09:31:18 pm »
Polling is still erratic. Seems to work for a while and then stops. That kind of behavior seems to be a Vera firmware problem since a forced poll does update. Decided to try oTi@'s suggestion and set the poll to zero on the multi-sensor and use a schedule to force a pole every 15 minutes. Will see how that goes. I want to use light sensor values as a trigger and can't do that without reliable updates (let alone reliable input) from the sensor.

Offline Dan S.

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #371 on: March 16, 2013, 01:26:56 pm »
Setting the poll time to 0 and scheduling a forced poll for every 15 minutes seems to have solved all my problems. Even enabled me to discover that my early morning high temperature readings are caused by the early morning sun being at just the right angle to hit the normally shaded sensr. So for now I am happy with the results the sensors are providing.

Which brings me to the question of why polling is such an issue with this sensor. Just what does the "Poll this node at most once every" entry mean? Why the "at most"? This criteria could be satisfied by never polling, which it seemed to do from time to time.

May be different if you are on battery power, but if you are on USB power like I am, I would say a schedule with forced polling is the way to go.

At least now I think I can use the light sensor for early turn on of lights (before sunset) on especially dark, cloudy days.

Offline LG

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #372 on: March 17, 2013, 04:59:06 am »
For people having wake-up issues with USB-powered 4 in 1 ; I've followed this procedure and now everything works fine: (thanks to bozo-merlin :http://www.touteladomotique.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=9389&start=60#p84910)

Put parameter 111 at the wake-up interval you want (in seconds)
The parameter 101 is a combination of number for the 4 sensors :
32 for temperature
64 for humidity
128 for luminosity
1 for the battery

so if you an update for every sensor put the parameter 101 at 225 (128+64+32+1).

Those parameters have to be put in the main device (motion sensor).

Screenshots of my configuration (all sensors reporting their value every 60 seconds) :

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #373 on: March 17, 2013, 02:25:41 pm »
Which brings me to the question of why polling is such an issue with this sensor. Just what does the "Poll this node at most once every" entry mean? Why the "at most"?
It means exactly what it says. So if you put a value of, for instance, 360, the sensor will not be polled more often than once every 360 seconds. How often it will be polled, depends on the number of devices in your network that are enabled for polling. At default settings, Vera will poll a device, then wait 30 seconds, then poll the next device, then wait 30 seconds, then the next device, until all devices are polled. Then the cycle repeats. During such a cycle, a device will only be polled if the 'poll at most' condition is satisfied.

May be different if you are on battery power, but if you are on USB power like I am, I would say a schedule with forced polling is the way to go.
Forced polling won't work on battery power. The device will be polled when it wakes up, taking into account the 'poll at most' setting.

Offline Dan S.

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #374 on: March 17, 2013, 03:07:48 pm »
@oTi@

Thanks for your response and patience. I should have known that about the polling of the sensors. Obviously I am a still learning Newbie. Right now I only have about 10 devices that are polled so I don't understand why my USB powered multisensor frequently exhibits results that shows it hasn't been polled for a long time. Don't know whether the issue is with Aeon or Vera software.

However the forced poll that you suggested, takes care of that. I am happy with the results, even though my forced poll of every 15 minutes is theoretically much less frequent than the default poll would be.