Author Topic: Recommended controllers for bridged setup  (Read 865 times)

Offline Fairview

Recommended controllers for bridged setup
« on: July 08, 2016, 06:00:57 pm »
Looking for advice on best 2-3 controllers to buy for a bridged config.

I'm new to Vera, not to Zwave. Actually I ran a small network using Vera devices about 8 years ago but a lot has changed since then. Have been managing a fairly complex Nexia config for the last 2 years but am now considering migrating to Vera. I have a main house with 2 remote buildings, all connected via gigabit wired network. My plan is to bridge the 3 buildings with one master controller in the main house and 2 sub controllers.

Am thinking I would need one VeraPlus and 2 VeraEdge controllers.

Would anyone here with some experience with bridged configs recommend something different?

I am open to going with 3 VeraPlus controllers if there is a reason to do so. Won't say that "money is no object" but spending an extra $100 or so overall up front is not an issue if it would give me more flexibility/stability/performance or any of those.

My alternative if I stay with Nexia is to buy 2 additional controllers plus $10/month for each and they cannot be bridged so I just running 3 separate systems. More expensive and less functionality.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 12:42:16 pm by Fairview »

Offline mfazal

Re: Recommended controllers for bridged setup
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 05:58:39 am »
looking for a similar setup.. lets c if the experts here have a solution..

Offline JCB79

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:27:14 am »
Good Day All,

I am currently trying to set up a bridge between a Vera Plus and a Vera Edge, and am stumped.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to complete the bridge, maybe even a step-by-step, I would be most appreciative if you could share.

If I get to the bottom of it, will let y'all know how it was accomplished.

Thanks In advance,

JCB79

Offline jillybean

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 06:21:55 pm »
I am working trying to bridge VeraEdge with VeraPlus.  I see directions in the Wiki at http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Bridged_Mios_Engines but can't get VeraEdge to show up as one of my UPnP devices.  Looking for any direction someone might be able to provide.

Offline JCB79

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:06:31 pm »
Apparently, I made it most of the way in my efforts based on the limited FAQ you are referencing, though i could not get it to register.  Support stepped in to close the deal. They were very responsive.  The info i received following support was basically limited to the following:

"I?ve done the same steps from the following page:
http://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2591731-how-can-i-bridge-two-controllers-?b_id=712
The only thing that I?ve did more than it?s written there, was to run the following command on both units:
?/etc/init.d/firewall stop && Reload.sh? ; so the units would see each other."

I have not been able to get much back-end info.  My request for back-end info was replied to with:

"I understand your curiosity regarding the backend of the Vera unit but we cannot provide any tutorials on how the unit runs the scripts created by us, as there is a strict protocol that needs to be followed only by the technical department and not the end users. Even if you would have access on how to change anything from the backend, any changes made to the system without guidance from Vera support will void your future Support request and end the warranty of your unit.

Still, anytime you would have a question or an issue about the unit, I would gladly assist you, sharing what I can that would help you.
Have a great weekend!"

If support hadn't been so helpful and responsive, I would be more disappointed than I am - but in all honesty, they were right on top of things so I cant complain.  In fact, I tip my hat to them for the level of support provided.  Thanks Bogdan.

Offline JCB79

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:09:19 pm »
And for what its worth, I am quite pleased at how well the system if performing in Bridged Mode - exactly what I was hoping for.