Author Topic: New Nano Dimmer from Aetoec  (Read 1539 times)

Online vas5150

• Sr. Newbie
New Nano Dimmer from Aetoec
« on: July 11, 2016, 04:42:38 am »
Anyone used the new nano dimmer? apparently it works with most LED's. getting rid of all the issues from previous dimmers.

Offline davidlc

Re: New Nano Dimmer from Aetoec
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 05:43:33 am »
It just became available this month. I installed it today. I haven't figured out how to get power usage readings yet. So far the 30watt load from five 6 watt dimmable retro led bulbs wasn't enough and I had to swap in an incandescent bulb. So far, I am not very impressed.
The micro dimmer from Aeotec was very easy to set up in Vera, but won't work for two wire installation without a neutral. 

Offline echino

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 06:06:30 pm »
I just got one, installed, and basically it does not work.

I have Vera Plus with the latest 1.7.3015 firmware.

First thing I did I physically installed the nano dimmer with the simple toggle switch in a two-wire configuration (without the neutral wire) exactly as shown on the installation video.

Then before I included the nano dimmer in the z-wave network, I tried controlling the light simply by toggling the physical switch - it did NOT work. However, when pressing the action button on the nano switch itself, it worked and switched the light on and off.

Then I included the nano dimmer with Vera Plus. I did not move Vera Plus close to the nano dimmer, so I included the device from the distance, in non-secure mode. It included fine.

The lights then could be successfully controlled by Vera UI7 interface: on / off / dimming. However, the lights still could not be controlled by the physical toggle switch.

Then I looked and device options and saw parameter 120 was zero. Reading manual it looks like it should be 3 for the toggle switch. So I changed the parameter 120 from 0 to 3.

When Vera restarted, it now said "1 device no longer connected" on the dashboard, and the device icon said "setting user configuration" in red. The device could no longer be controlled from the Vera UI7 interface. It said "cannot contact device".

I then went to Advanced -> Commands -> Configure node right now

It then reloaded and said "ERROR: Unable to get any information on node" in red and nano dimmer could not be controlled by Vera.

However, the physical toggle switch now did some limited control of the lights. It could switch them ON, and then when I toggled it to OFF, it did not switch it off completely, but just dimmed to some degree, about 50% dimmer level. I could not switch the lights OFF neither via Vera, nor via physical toggle switch.

I will now try excluding, and then re-including the nano switch, but in the secure mode this time, by following secure inclusion procedure and moving Vera close to the nano dimmer.

What is the correct value of the parameter 120 to enable correct operation by the physical toggle switch?

Offline mano

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:14:53 pm »
Tried installing, paired in a 2 wire config with 100W lamp. After pairing, Vera continously Purging Associations and the Brightness is 18% and not controllable. Waste of money, so far

Offline RogerO

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 02:13:07 pm »
My results have been exactly the same as echino's.

Offline echino

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 02:42:13 pm »
Update: I did a secure inclusion by moving Vera Plus close to the dimmer and clicking the action button twice quickly. It included fine and worked fine! Both manual and remote control worked well. Great! But, not so fast. The next day, about 24 hours after setup, I get "Can't detect device" and the dimmer cannot be controlled remotely any more. Manual control continued working fine though.

I put Vera Plus close again, excluded, and then secure re-included the dimmer. It again configured fine, and worked! This time, it has been working fast and correctly without any issues for 10 days. Then again, "Can't detect device", can't control it with Vera, but manual control works.

Then I updated Vera Plus firmware to the latest beta. Excluded and re-included the dimmer. Now the dimmer can't complete configuration during the inclusion process and is getting stuck at "Purging associations". I tried many times, both secure and non-secure inclusion. Same result, stuck at "Purging associations", changing in several hours to "Getting secure classes" or "Can't detect device".

Support worked remotely on my system, but was not able to help.

So for now, the dimmer does not work on Vera Plus.

Offline mano

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 04:35:34 am »
Wrote to AEOTEC Support on advice, this is what has been sent, will try later today...

For the external switch, please use these steps to autodetect the switch.

There are actually 2 different methods that you can approach this issue, (1) use your gateway to send in the configuration settings, or (2) manually toggle the internal button of Nano to force it into switch detection mode.

Method 1 - Parameter settings

(picture of 120 and 121 table....) controlling S1 , S2
If you have an understand on how to use your gateway to send in parameter settings, you can refer to the below parameter settings.
(picture of 120 and 121 table....) controlling S1 , S2
---------
Method 2 - Manually forcing Nano to enter switch detection mode for S1 or S2

Try forcing the Nano to enter external switch detection mode again (For S1):

Tap the Nano button 4x times within 1-2 seconds which will force Nano to enter External Switch detection mode. (LED will flash blue)

Flip your external switch once, then wait at a minimum 10 seconds before you flip the switch again.

Now test your external switch.

Try forcing the Nano to enter external switch detection mode again (For S2):

Tap the Nano button 6x times within 1-2 seconds which will force Nano to enter External Switch detection mode. (LED will flash green)

Flip your external switch once, then wait at a minimum 10 seconds before you flip the switch again.

Now test your external switch.
Let me know if this helps with your issue.
----------------------------

As for the purging error, what settings are you inputting? Could you send me a screenshot?

One method, you can force Vera to attempt configuration again:

You can try running a configure node now command, to do this in Vera:

Login to your Vera Gateway

Click on "Devices" on the left side to bring you to the device page

Look for your Nano and click on the arrow next to it

Go to Advanced -> Commands

Then click on "Configure Node Now"

Offline mano

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 02:26:57 pm »
Played around this afternoon ...
Unpaired it from the Vera+ and then tried it on the table with a spare VeraLite i had. Initially Tried with a 3 wire config with an 100W Halogen lamp. All worked as expected and the configuration was readable and looked good.

Tried again with a 20W LED lamp, worked, but LeD blinked the Stayed Fully  Lit during On and  in Reverse during the OFF cycle,

Then moved it to a 2 wire config. 100W Halogen Lamp OK, LED very unstable, blinking.

Tried with a Bypass, Blinking faster on the LED. So using the LED is not suitable on a 2 Wire config,

Unpaired and Re-Paired it with the main Vera+ in a 2wire config and 100w Halogen, its OK now.

Suspicion is with the LED lamp and and in 2 wire mode, the dimmer must have become unstable and caused the unusable conditions

And No more Purging Associations , messages

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:56:09 pm »
I just played with the gods of sparking things, and survived the experience. Replaced two old X10 micro dimmer switches with two of these.After installing them, could add them in easily into the network, but for the life of me my existing momentary push button switches would not work. I eventually decided to swallow my pride and read the instructions (https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000162176-nano-dimmer-user-guide-), and discovered the fairly comprehensive bit in there titled "Manually detecting or setting the External Switch over S1 or S2 terminals." What I needed to do was: 1. Press the little recessed switch on the module itself four times within 2 seconds. Then press the physical switch (in my case a momentary push button). Then wait ten seconds and push the physical switch again. Done.

Each works just fine controlling a series of three halogen lights, totalling about 140W. These are the last six halogens in the house, so am planning to try some various LEDs in there to see how it goes. Past experience with replacing halogens with LEDs is the LED drivers can be very sensitive to the old power supplies, and it only gets worse when you introduce a dimmer. Anyhow, will see how it goes but for now I'm happy with these things.

Offline dimitryp

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 10:18:26 pm »
Hi All.

I was about to buy some of Aeotec Nano Dimmers for my house, as well as a Vera Edge (havent got any z-wave stuff yet), but am concerned by the reports in this thread.

I've just replaced all my halogen down-lights with eco LED ones, 5W, so each bank is 25 or 30W. I have dimmable ones though, and the physical dimmers currently work ok. Have pretty old (10yrs?) Tridonic Atco "Speedy" transformers in the ceiling cavity running these things. All my switches are 2-wire configs (no neutral wire).

The idea was to put the Aeotec nano dimmers behind the physical switches and control via the Vera Edge.

From the reports on this thread, am i to understand that a low voltage load simply wont work in a 2-wire configuration? Is this an issue with the dimmer (its meant to support low voltage LEDs??), or with Vera, or somwehere in between?

Any way i can remote-control my 2-wire LED downlights??

Offline dimitryp

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 10:33:43 pm »
Just thought of something. Would the dimmer bypass module added onto the aeotec nano dimmer do the trick, potentially?
Cant find the minimum wattage rating for the Aeotec dimmer, but the Fibaro micro dimmer (v similar) has a 50W minimum, otherwise bypass is needed.
Perhaps the Fibaro dimmer modules work better? Anyone have experience with those + Vera?

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 06:25:13 am »

From: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000165398-nano-dimmer-technical-specifications-

Minimum Power (Watt):
2-wire (no neutral)
Resistance load Only: min 20W.

3-wire (with neutral)
Capacitive load: min 11W.
Inductive load: no min / max 100W
Resistance load: min 10W.

Worse case, yes you could add in a bypass load (https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000168292-how-to-wire-a-bypass-to-your-nano-dimmer-load-) but you might be ok as is given the existing load is over 20W. The fact you are using older transformers may also help. I suspect there is only one way to find out for certain - get one and give it a go! ;-)

Offline simonk83

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 01:48:10 am »
Update: I did a secure inclusion by moving Vera Plus close to the dimmer and clicking the action button twice quickly. It included fine and worked fine! Both manual and remote control worked well. Great! But, not so fast. The next day, about 24 hours after setup, I get "Can't detect device" and the dimmer cannot be controlled remotely any more. Manual control continued working fine though.

I'm having basically the same issue (I can control the dimmer via Vera, but I can't turn the light on and off using the switch).  I'm hopeful to try your method of a secure include, but did you ever get it working properly?

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:57 pm »
I'm having basically the same issue (I can control the dimmer via Vera, but I can't turn the light on and off using the switch).  I'm hopeful to try your method of a secure include, but did you ever get it working properly?

See above comments above or the section in the manual that says: "Manually detecting or setting the External Switch over S1 or S2 terminals.". What has most likely happened (assuming it's been cabled correctly), which happened to me, is the nano dimmer didn't automatically detect the type of switch you have so you need to make it do it again.

Basically: Press the little recessed switch on the module itself four times within 2 seconds. Then press the physical switch (in my case a momentary push button). Then wait ten seconds and push the physical switch again.

Cheers

Offline simonk83

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 09:52:23 pm »

See above comments above or the section in the manual that says: "Manually detecting or setting the External Switch over S1 or S2 terminals.". What has most likely happened (assuming it's been cabled correctly), which happened to me, is the nano dimmer didn't automatically detect the type of switch you have so you need to make it do it again.

Basically: Press the little recessed switch on the module itself four times within 2 seconds. Then press the physical switch (in my case a momentary push button). Then wait ten seconds and push the physical switch again.

Cheers

I did try that (about a hundred times :D),  It worked for all my other dimmers, just not this particular one for some reason.

Here's my issue:  http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,52053.0.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:55:45 pm by simonk83 »