We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Upgrading Two Vera3 to Two VeraPlus  (Read 7054 times)

Offline clippermiami

Re: Upgrading Two Vera3 to Two VeraPlus
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 05:25:04 pm »
The latest in the saga of converting to VeraPlus UI7.

Vision Smoke Detectors
I had removed all seven smoke detector "phantom devices" from the UI5 => UI7 conversion. I then installed the seven  Vision smoke detectors that had performed flawlessly for a year under Vera3 UI5 in one of the Vera Plus UI7 controllers. I had the same kind of glitches in the installation to UI7 I had experienced with them in UI5 but I have long suspected that Vera simply has little interest in smoke detection. Eventually they all installed and configured properly. I was able to poll them and do stress tests once they installed. Everything was rocking along.

Two hours later NOT ONE OF THEM IS WORKING. Vera says "Can't Detect Device" for devices it was perfectly happy with two hours earlier.

Everspring Motion Detector
In addition an Everspring Motion Sensor that installed and worked without a hitch earlier in the day is suddenly now in "Can't detect device" mode also.

AutoVera
Minor glitch with AutoVera, it reports the number of Android devices attached as  "temperature 4".
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:35:14 pm by clippermiami »
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 05:45:00 pm »
I posted this separately because it isn't very important to me but I think its interesting. I have both Vera UIs open in my browser right now. Both are set to identical location data including Lat/Long and both have the same Weather Data settings.

Yet on shows the local weather as 96F and Sunny while the other shows it as 89F and partly cloudy.  Right now WU shows the local conditions as 91F and party cloudy so one of the Veras appears to be in the same place I am. The other who knows :)
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 09:12:00 pm »
I have PLEG notifications working in my setup ...

I believe there is a problem with NOTIFICATIONS in general on the latest UI7 release. 
Multiple people are seeing problems ... no errors ... configuration looks correct ... just no notifications.

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2016, 07:28:12 am »
I have PLEG notifications working in my setup ...

I believe there is a problem with NOTIFICATIONS in general on the latest UI7 release. 
Multiple people are seeing problems ... no errors ... configuration looks correct ... just no notifications.

That's what's happening here. Everything LOOKS normal just nothing happening on one Vera. On the other I've suddenly started getting notifications of when the Alarm system has been Armed/Disarmed and when my Internet connection does Down/Up. Near as I know I didn't do anything to them but with all the other fiddling I may have clicked  the username destinations off/on.

Have you considered, if its even possible, creating your own Notifications inside the PLEGs and integrating them with VeraAlerts, bypassing all of Vera's notification system? In addition to improving the functionality this might also allow the user to EDIT notifications just as you do the Message Overrides in Vera Alerts. Just a thoughts.

I also see now someone is reporting problems with the Everspring motion sensor in 1.7.2044 so maybe that's firmware too :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 07:45:27 am by clippermiami »

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 09:42:21 am »
You can already do notifications "INSIDE" pleg.
Add an action for the  "Vera Alerts" device ... SendAlert action.
I have some of those too ... and they are working fine for me.

In this case you can embed the value of Conditions or properties in your message with a message like:

The house temperature is currently {(pHouseTemp)}

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2016, 11:25:20 am »
You can already do notifications "INSIDE" pleg.
Add an action for the  "Vera Alerts" device ... SendAlert action.
I have some of those too ... and they are working fine for me.

In this case you can embed the value of Conditions or properties in your message with a message like:

The house temperature is currently {(pHouseTemp)}

I tried this approach and it works great, since none of my notifications are working anyway and I was planning on re-doing them I'm going to delete them and go this way instead.

Is there a way to mass delete the notifications, I have quite a few and apparently Vera restarts after each deletion.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 01:56:22 pm by clippermiami »

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2016, 12:39:38 pm »
Hmm, I upgraded my Vera 3 to the latest UI7 about a week ago and it has both ZCOMBO and Vision ZS6101 smoke detectors connected. All still work flawlessly.

I have a Vision ZS6101 smoke detector hooked up to the test Edge (on latest Ui7) and it also is working fine. It did not like being joined and out up a fight so it took s few tries and some language to get the process finalized.  8)

Granted, those were all added under a older FW version.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2016, 01:54:34 pm »
Hmm, I upgraded my Vera 3 to the latest UI7 about a week ago and it has both ZCOMBO and Vision ZS6101 smoke detectors connected. All still work flawlessly.

I have a Vision ZS6101 smoke detector hooked up to the test Edge (on latest Ui7) and it also is working fine. It did not like being joined and out up a fight so it took s few tries and some language to get the process finalized.  8)

Granted, those were all added under a older FW version.

There was a significant language problem in trying to get mine installed :) I had a similar language problem trying to get a Fibaro Door/Temperature sensor to attach until I gave up and threw it across the room. There are a surpisingly small number of parts in one :)

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2016, 11:50:53 am »
I got a response from tech support about my Vision Smoke Detectors. According to them they are all responding to Stress Tests and the "Can't detect device" is a glitch in the current UI (1.7.2044) and has been reported to development. Well, that may have been true when they looked but it isn't now.

This morning all of the smoke detectors are "chirping" for low batteries ... brand new batteries yesterday. Turns out they have been running all night (red LED on full time) so the batteries are dead. Changed the batteries and now half of the one's I changed don't pass the stress test. One of them that does never indicates tripped despite it appearing to work fine.

Now a brand new out of the box Ecolink Door/Windows sensor refused to install on one of the Veras.

And I'm trying to delete a bunch of notifications I no longer need and I'm suddenly getting "failed to save system configuration."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:52:34 am by clippermiami »

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2016, 01:55:29 pm »
re: Vision Smoke Detectors

Despite the fact that of the seven detectors 6 of them fail the Stress Test, all of them now report to Vera when they are tripped. I have logic in a PLEG to send Pushover, Syslog, and SMS whenever they trip and they appear to be working correctly now.

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2016, 03:31:01 pm »
I added back to door/window sensors that had failed in the transition and been removed a few days ago; the mailbox and the front door bell.

Both were added to the system sitting immediately adjacent to the VeraPlus, and both configured right off the bat. The mailbox sensor is installed about 75 feet from the Vera in the street-side mailbox, the door bell sensor in the chime about 14 inches from the VeraPlus. Neither pass the Stress Test yet the mailbox sensor works flawlessly from 75 feet whereas the door bell sensor does not work from 14 inches. Go figure.

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2016, 08:49:24 am »
I have come to the conclusion from my own experiences and reading the forum that many of the things I'm seeing are chimeras, created by UI7.

I have cases, many intermittent, of devices showing "Can't detect device" when in fact they are working properly. Tech Support confirms this is a UI bug

I often find that a device will not respond to the Poll or the Stress Test and yet is working fine. I found this the other day with a sensor in the streetside mailbox about 75 feet from Vera. It worked fine and responded to poll and stress when first re-installed. A few hours later it wouldn't respond and yet when the mail was delivered it tripped exactly as intended.

The Smoke Detectors many of which reflected "Can't detect device" or "Waiting for wakeup..." all cleared with no action on my part and are working fine. I have code running in PLEG to check the "LastWakeup" and if a smoke detector missed two wakeup cycles it flags it as down. So far every device is waking fine on the expected time as reflected in the Device Properties in PLEG.

I still have questions about the Power Fail Sensor and the Front Door Bell Sensor but they are not urgent items.

Like many people I think UI7 is far from the ideal. Its a bit distressing to find that it has been in the field this long and is still in such a poor state. I'm hard pressed to see what it does for anyone that could not have been backed into UI5. ZWave+ could certainly have been retrofitted to UI5.

The radically reduced device name length in UI7 is a pain.

I'm continue to get some random Restarts which I understand may be related to 1.7.2044.

The VeraPlus is a big performance gain on Vera3. Both my Vera3 units were running 95+ % Memory and 15-30% CPU. VeraPlus has brought that down to 60% Memory and 2-7% CPU. Everything works more crisply, walk into a motion detected room and the lights are on instantly. Open a detected door and the lights are on before the door is fully open.

Kudos also to the Plug In developers. The new PLEG/VeraAlerts Editor is a delight to use. All the other Plug Ins I use are working fine with the minor exception of not being able to change the button names.

Since they weren't working anyway in 1.7.2044, I removed almost all my Notifications (except for things like device  battery level messages, etc.,) and implemented them all in PLEG Logic Actions to SendAlert via VeraAlerts per Richard Schaefer. Its much more flexible and can actually be easily edited, unlike the Notifications that have to be deleted and reentered.

I hate the fact that they put the LEDs on the top of the VeraPlus. I have mine sitting on top of a tall bookcase in the Family Room, which is just about the central point of the house. The Vera3 sat one on top of the other and the LEDs were easily visible so it was quick to see if there was a operational problem. I'm looking into a way to mount the VeraPlus units standing on their fronts, side-by-side so the LEDs are visible.

Once I get these two VeraPlus units settled down I'm going to replace the VeraLite that runs the BlueIris Camera PlugIn with one of the now-unused Vera3 units. Should make that a bit crisper and hopefully it will track the cameras more closely.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2016, 12:13:03 pm »
Simple Redneck DIY solution to the LED problem. Glue some aluminum foil (shiny side out) on a pie of cardboard and tape that on top of the Plus at a 45 degree angle(eg fold cardboard supports). That should allow you to see the LED's easily. A small strip of mirror glass or stainless steel would also do the trick.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2016, 01:13:56 pm »
Simple Redneck DIY solution to the LED problem. Glue some aluminum foil (shiny side out) on a pie of cardboard and tape that on top of the Plus at a 45 degree angle(eg fold cardboard supports). That should allow you to see the LED's easily. A small strip of mirror glass or stainless steel would also do the trick.

What no Alabama Chrome :)

Offline clippermiami

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2016, 10:32:25 am »
Actually this is about a third Vera upgrade to UI7 :)

I'm trying to convert on of my old Vera 3 to UI7 to support the Blue Iris Plug In and replace a VeraLite UI5 unit currently doing that service

I successfully converted the Vera3 to I7 (1.7.830) but much to my dismay the plug in does not work well at all. I finally figured out where to place the various parameters and got the correct image once. After a few seconds I got "Failed to receive image from the camera" followed by a warning to change my camera password. Yet a few more seconds and it reverts to the INDEX composite image from Blue Iris. A check of the Advanced Parameters and it shows that the URL has been replaced by the INDEX rather than the specific Blue Iris camera selection.