We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: [_CODE_] ActiveRFID Plugin  (Read 41633 times)

Offline BrianAz

Re: [_CODE_] ActiveRFID Plugin
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 11:56:48 pm »
Not sure if you mentioned this somewhere, but I've not found it in my reading... did you get the articulating antennas with your 40m Transmitters?

Thinking of trying this out at the end of the month perhaps.

Thx,
Brian

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 06:21:26 am »
No antennas. And, don't get them sealed. Buy liquid electrical tape at the hardware store and seal them yourself. I say this for two reasons - first, so you can put good batteries in, and put a couple wraps of electric tape around the batteries to keep them from getting unseated. The second reason being that you can put batteries in one transmitter at a time, so you can identify which transmitter is which - if you get multiple transmitters.
The 40m transmitters don't get me very far through my insulated garage door - partially due to the obstruction, and partially due to my wiznet ip-serial rigging - I don't think the wiznet board provides the receiver with enough power. I have my receiver hung on the back wall of my garage, and it picks up just as I pull into the driveway - about 50' distance through the garage door.  If you can run serial cable or USB cable to it, you'll probably be in better shape.  Inside the receiver casing is a dc power jack to supply additional power if you aren't getting enough over USB.
Finally, in both cars, I was able to tie wrap the transmitter to the inside of the front bumper, with the wire antenna stretched and tie wrapped across the inside of the bumper.  If you have transmission issues, drill a small hole in the receiver casing, and extend the wire antenna on that out of the casing.  And, hey, I haven't updated the documentation since I made my recent changes - it should still install the same, although I heard the pl2303 ip-serial device (which is built into the USB receivers) may not be supported out of the box anymore, although I haven't noticed that. In either case, that's easy enough to get around.
Vera1 (1.1142), Vera2 (1.1182), VRI06 (12), VRS15 (3), VRS05 (2), VRF01 (2), VRCS4 (2), ZRW113, ZRF113 (2), 45602, 45603, TZMT400 (2), FE599 (2), 99100, Thinkstick, Harmony 890Pro (2), Harmony RF Extender, Nevo S70, Nevo NC-50, Minimote, SQ Remote, SQ Blaster, EtherRain-8, Cliste ActiveRFID, TED5002

Offline BrianAz

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 02:40:52 pm »
Cool, thx!

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 05:25:47 pm »
So a few clarifying questions--at least, I hope they clarify things for me!

1) in the code-download page, you say you're currently using the USB non-RSSI receiver plugged straight into Vera.
    a) does this mean you've got your Vera out in the garage?
    b) my best route for doing this would be to use USB over CAT5/6, as I have open ports out there, and can move Vera into the AV-center where the firewall switches, and patch-panel all live.  Most of these USB/CAT solutions seem to be USB1.1.  I'm guessing that would more than suffice, but don't see which "USB" the receiver supports/requires.
2) you put your transmitters behind front bumpers, to avoid interference/signal-loss from the car body and such.  It seems to me that a 40m transmitter would work through, among other things, windshield glass.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.  I'm still holding off on buying the bits to make this happen until MCV releases solid firmware for V2...since it looks like your code at least expects V2, or has only been tested against same.

--Richard

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 08:48:33 am »
@rlmalisz, to answer your questions in order:

1) I've used both style USB (RSSI and non-RSSI) receivers in a variety of ways.  Plugged into the USB port on Vera, plugged into another computer running ser2net with @guessed's IPSerial plugin, and connected to a wiznet IP-Serial board.
  a) Currently, I have the RSSI Receiver that I opened up, disconnected the USB-Serial board and plugged in a wiznet IP-Serial board.  I connect to it from my Vera2 using the IPSerial plugin.  I have this hung on the back wall of my garage.  I have another USB receiver (non-RSSI) plugged into my Vera1.  This is in the family room AV closet, and does pick up on the cars through the walls, but not from out in the street.
  b) This is probably your best route or getting the serial version and running a long serial cable.  I would imagine USB 1.1 should be ok, but I'm not sure.

2) You would think, but I certainly don't get anywhere near 40m.  Even outside with the receiver plugged into my laptop and me walking the transmitter back in plain site, and watching signal strength on my iphone, I don't think I got farther than about 60 or 70 feet.  That being said, arrangement of the antenna wire is critical - both on the receiver and the transmitter.  I haven't gotten it nailed down enough to get long distances, but you may be better off getting the RSSI receiver to actually see what works best. That said, in the Honda, it does work on the dash, but not nearly as well as in the bumper.  The metal garage really puts a damper on things.  In the mercedes, it doesn't work at all through the "purple" glass windshield - but I have other issues with transmissions through that glass - IR and RF.

Now, to throw one more curveball at you, I have a keychain model that seems to get almost as much distance as the 40m (AAA battery) transmitters.  I have seen that work from inside the Honda, with the garage door closed.  In fact, when the mail lady was delivering my last order of (1) 40m and (1) keychain, I happened to be working on the code for this plugin and watching the serial data.  My receiver in the AV closet picked up one of them as she got out of her mailtruck - as it turns out, it was the keychain that picked up.
Vera1 (1.1142), Vera2 (1.1182), VRI06 (12), VRS15 (3), VRS05 (2), VRF01 (2), VRCS4 (2), ZRW113, ZRF113 (2), 45602, 45603, TZMT400 (2), FE599 (2), 99100, Thinkstick, Harmony 890Pro (2), Harmony RF Extender, Nevo S70, Nevo NC-50, Minimote, SQ Remote, SQ Blaster, EtherRain-8, Cliste ActiveRFID, TED5002

Offline rlmalisz

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 10:48:11 am »
So is the keychain transmitter also from Cliste (whose website seems more than a but sick right now), and if not, whence?

--Richard

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 02:18:17 pm »
Ya - weird about their site. I was just on their site the other day. I got the keychain from cliste - only their transmitters work with their receivers.

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 04:52:55 am »
Hey, I just came across this last night.  The cheaperRFID hardware is the same hardware that Cliste sells... seems they'll be back up in a couple days, btw.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=941270

I'm going to try the full wave length antenna on the receiver and try it up in the attic this weekend - that guy says he get a full city block away, so we'll see.

edit:  ya, I know I posted a link to the homeseer boards, but they've been playing around with RFID a lot longer than us vera folks have.

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 07:28:00 am »
So I replaced the antenna on my receiver with one that is twice the full length - approximate 71 5/16". Of course, when I moved it into the attic, the wiznet board stopped working... Must have fried it somehow. So I couldn't test it's range. So I disconnected the ip serial board and reconnected the USB-serial adapter and have it plugged directly into Vera in the av closet. Of course the av closet doesn't have enough room to extend a 6' antenna straight in any direction. I imagine for this reason and because of the av closet's location, I'm not getting much further range than the end of the driveway. I will say though that reliability of received transmissions has greatly improved. I have reduced the expire time to 15 seconds and have not had any false "untrips".
I ordered a new wiz110sr (and a serIO while i was at it - for a different project) so hopefully this week I can test in the attic. I will also try to replace the antenna on one of the transmitters to a true half-wave length. I will post results back.

Offline massilia

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 04:35:40 am »
Can you give me a  download link because on the wiki i 'am not found the file ActiveRFID Plugin

It's ok http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_activerfid/browser

Thx cedric  :)

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 05:18:07 am by massilia »

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 08:49:26 am »
I attached the current version to the original post at the top of this thread.  Please note that I haven't updated the instructions recently, and there are 7 files that need to be loaded onto the Vera.  Load all 7 files contained in the zip file.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 08:59:46 pm »
I attached the current version to the original post at the top of this thread.  Please note that I haven't updated the instructions recently, and there are 7 files that need to be loaded onto the Vera.  Load all 7 files contained in the zip file.
Hey woodsby,
Since you have your stuff in code.mios.com already, you can get it to generate the ZIP files for you.  All you'd have to do, is "push" your top level files down one level into a directly (like "trunk", "tags", etc), and then on that directly a "ZIP Archive" link becomes available under the "Download in other formats:" area at the bottom of the Browse-source page.

I'm about to start converting mine over to do this, since it saves a packaging step (which I've made mistakes on in the past), and save me uploading them to Box.net (etc)

See the "Download" link that's on pages like this for an example of what I mean:
    http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_sqblaster/browser/trunk

If you want to control the releases even further, you can create the /tags/nnnn sub-area, and label your files prior to release.

Offline ExHempKnight

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2011, 05:23:41 pm »
I'd like to try to increase the range of my receiver. I know the antenna is just a ~4" piece of wire inside the enclosure... Would it be feasible to solder on a longer wire? I'd route it outside the enclosure... Would I have to calculate a proper length for the frequency?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:53:24 pm by ExHempKnight »

Offline JOD

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2011, 08:53:27 pm »
@Woodsby,

A couple of observations on this plugin.

1. In your instructions for scene setup your indicating the event trigger is
"An armed sensor is tripped"
and the "Tripped" state is Tripped.

With the files I just uploaded the options are:
"Home or Away" & "Armed Home or Away"
(see attachment)

2. I like to have my security sensors setup to indicate the untripped / reset (Blue standing man) to = all is secure, with the RFID it would indicate the vehicle is Home.
When the vehicle leaves the sensor would be tripped (Red running man)

However, changing the transmitters tripped "1" => "0" does not appear to change the state, so it's always tripped (Red running man) when the transmitter is home.

Is it possible to reverse the Trip state?

3. Small typo in the instructions.  "Create device". Under "UpnpDevFilename?", type "D.ActiveRFID.xml" (no quotes).

Good work, this is a nice addition to my system. Thank you.

JOD.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:13:05 pm by JOD »
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline JOD

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2011, 06:54:19 pm »
@woodsby,

I'm having an issue with keeping the receiver online for extended periods, >24hrs. I contacted Cliste thinking it was an issue with the receiver.

Jeff at Cliste stated "Some older Windows versions and some older software (like the CheaperRFID plug in for Homeseer) can have trouble reading the receivers over a period of time"

When I connect to the receiver through Vera with PuTTY, I am seeing the data from each of my transmitters, so all devices are working, but the plugin is not registering it.

Any suggestions?

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.