Author Topic: UI7: Change light switch to another type of switch  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Maral Afris

UI7: Change light switch to another type of switch
« on: July 31, 2016, 04:56:05 am »
Hi !

I would like to change the type of some switches which are now light switches to another switch type (and thus another icon) in order to avoid being triggered by the all off/on button in the phone app...

I found this topic which is about changing the icon but doesn't help with the type of switch:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=33251.0

Also I have no idea where to modify/create these json/xml files, so if I could get a lead on that one...

Thanks !

MA

Offline ninkasi

Re: UI7: Change light switch to another type of switch
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 07:23:45 am »
If I find out, I'll let you know. I'd also like to know how to do it, as for example my Aeotec smart switches all show up as lights. Which means anything that I plug into those are considered to be lights. So if I have an appliance plugged into one of those switches (eg a heater or a coffee machine or whatever), the shortcut link to turn all the lights on/off will also turn on/off the heater, coffee machine, etc.

Was particularly annoying the other day - had plugged the fridge into one to measure the amount of power it's using - fairly old fridge, hoping to be able to show the powers that be that upgrading that might be a good idea - but at some point in time someone had obviously accidentally hit the 'all lights off' button so the fridge was turned off. It wasn't off for too long, but still......

I assume it can probably be done by selecting a different device file for the switch, but it is likely to involve a fair bit of tweaking. Would be nice if there was a way to at the very least flag devices as something that can be included in the 'all lights' shortcut in the gui.

FWIW It seems to ignore the category settings (http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories) which for my switches are 3.1 ie a switch (interior)....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:32:41 am by ninkasi »
Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome

Offline Maral Afris

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 05:28:42 pm »
Happy (in a way) to see that I am not the only one struggling with this.
Would be nice to have such option in a future release to change the switch type with a single clic !

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 07:53:12 pm »
Yeah - logically it should be simple enough ie create a 'scene' that shows up on the shortcut section. So then rather than having a shortcut that unlocks all the doors, or turns on all the lights, the shortcut just turns on all the ceiling lights that you add into that group.... or unlocks the external doors..... or, frankly, can do both. For the moment though, I'm just using tasker & autovera and using widgets and only using the UI7 interface to configure devices or create scenes.
Home Automation veteran. Rolled own, then MisterHouse and X10, now Vera - mysensor arduino and ESP8266 network - zwave lights, locks, switches - milights - yeelights - google home(s) - Broadlink RM - raspberry pi(s) with various scripts for power and weather station - Logitech Harmony - Imperihome

Offline ninkasi

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:33:12 pm »
FWIW - this was driving me crazy... well, crazier.... ;-)

I know this is an old topic, but thought it deserved closure. Over a year later from my original message, I plugged an aircon into a new aeotec 'smart switch' and it is also came up as a light. Aside from it looking odd, I didn't want the 'turn off all lights' command to turn off the aircon.  I checked the advanced settings for the device and it is definitely reporting itself as a category 3 (switch) sub category 1 (interior). As per the listing here: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Device_Categories

It is however using the device files "D_BinaryLight1.xml" and "D_BinaryLight1.json". OK, thinks I, there's the problem. I'll see what happens if I change those to point to an appliance or power switch device files. Are there any when looking in the list of available luup files? Nope. Am I the only person out there who plugs anything other than light bulbs into smart switches, grumbles I....

Then I double checked by looking at the list of devices via the gui, and found that although the switch was looking like a light it was actually being put into the "indoor switch" category - which meant it was not going to be turned off via the global 'turn off all lights' command as happened way back when I used one on a fridge. Yay. So I can always change the icon to look like something else, but my main issue has now been fixed somehow.