Author Topic: Upgraded to UI5! After using UI7 for 4 misserable days  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Aaron

Upgraded to UI5! After using UI7 for 4 misserable days
« on: August 02, 2016, 01:30:36 am »
Here's how I feel after 4 Days with UI7 on VeraPlus...
Imagine a depressed homeless person was living in a Crack Den for a few years and hated it but it was what he knew. Then he decided to sleep outside under the stars thinking it would be better than the Den... after 4 nights of downpour and constant thunder and lightening, and getting soaking wet and freezing his ass off and was happy to move back into the Crack Den... at least it had a roof and he stayed dry!

UI7 and VeraPlus is Far worse than I imagined.
UI5 is not good but it worked... UI7 simply does not work and is not stable

Random and frequent full LUA restarts
Devices would disconnect and reconnect randomly and almost non-stop
Motion Sensors would not update status
98% of the time "Can't Detect Device" on most battery powered Zwave devices. Even after Vera found and updated the device properties.
PLEG could not be edited - many PLEG pages didnt work at all

Never thought I'd be happy to be on UI5!

Congrats Vera, you outdid yourself. People said... "No way you could make Vera it worse than UI5" and you proved us all wrong! :)

Offline svaleb

Re: Upgraded to UI5! After using UI7 for 4 misserable days
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:05:34 pm »
Sigh...I agree.

Offline chixxi

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 10:42:53 am »
Long time no see  8)

I came back again to see what the state of UI7 is and if I should finally risk the update on my vera 3 which has about 50 devices on it. After only reading few minutes in this forum I decided not to do it and come back in another 6 month. I lost my believe in vera a very long time ago, was just confirmed again.

How can this company still be running?
Developer of Plugins: Virtual Switch, Variable Container, Popcorn Hour Remote, Vacation Ghost. => PLUGINS HAVE BEEN UNPUBLISHED BY ME.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 03:49:28 pm »
I'm still running V3 with UI5... VeraPlus sits in its box, total waste of money,  and worse... Waste of time

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 05:32:50 pm »
I have been using IU7 since spring. I think I did a factory reset, upgraded to IU7, than added devices. I only have 15 devices plus some vitual switches, many are z-wave. Has been pretty stable. Some inconsistencies in operation, but it mostly works.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Aaron

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 09:05:19 pm »
I have been using IU7 since spring. I think I did a factory reset, upgraded to IU7, than added devices. I only have 15 devices plus some vitual switches, many are z-wave. Has been pretty stable. Some inconsistencies in operation, but it mostly works.
Probably because you have so few devices and I  suspect very little and/or very basic scenes.

For power users, 50+devices and complex automation... Ui7 is unusable. I can't get devices to stay connected when they work fine in ui5

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 08:23:18 pm »
Maybe I am in the minority, but I can confidently say that Vera Plus can handle far more devices.  I have about 50 Zwave devices.  24 DSC Zones,  Harmony, Onkyo, 6x Squeezeboxes, Ted5K, Rainforest Eagle, AltUI, DataMine, HUE/Echo bridge, etc,   I run a couple of dozen PLEG conditions tracking many device states and timers and about 20 different scenes as well.

My vera+ has been pretty solid. The one thing I did which for me that was the most impactful in its stability was placing the vera on its own subnet/vlan . Once I did this, the number of unplanned LUUP restarts dropped to less than a couple per week.
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline 172pilot

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 02:21:34 pm »
The one thing I did which for me that was the most impactful in its stability was placing the vera on its own subnet/vlan . Once I did this, the number of unplanned LUUP restarts dropped to less than a couple per week.

REALLY?  I would have never thought to do this, but you found that it made a difference?  Prior to doing this, was your experience as bad as what others say in this thread?  My first and only Vera experience has been with IU7, and it's been less than perfect, but it's been generally usable except a few times recently I've had to reboot the vera physically for some reason.

My vera is plugged into a local smart switch, and it would be easy to put on it's own vlan..  I am curious what exactly your experience was before doing so?

Thanks!
Steve

Offline Aaron

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 02:22:48 pm »
guys, go read my latest post...

It was a XMAS MIRACLE... and i'm jewish! UI7 finally working with 1.7.2414

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,41174.0.html

Offline niharmehta

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2016, 05:35:20 pm »
I had moved from 2x Vera Lites which worked OK in UI5 to a Vera+ and had the normal battery device issues. I fixed those by exclude/including them again.  The Vera+ was working, but not well.  I was having frequent restarts  and missed commands so decided to do some testing.  Placing it on its own small subnet was one of the tests.

In my case, it did make a difference.   I have a TON of network connected devices on my home network (~45) and suspect that the UPNP chatter from many of them was causing instability.  Is my Vera+ perfect? No.. but other than missing a couple of events, it seems to be OK.  Several of my issues with Zwave ended up being crappy Evolve devices going brain dead and taking others down with them.

That being said, it really cannot hurt to just carve a new routed vlan on your smart-switch (If supported) or trunking up to your FW for a 2nd network. Just remember you will need to re-ip your Vera (static or DHCP). No guarantees it will solve your problem, but I consider myself a pretty heavy user of the VeraPlus and so far I have considered it a positive experience one you know where the warts are.

REALLY?  I would have never thought to do this, but you found that it made a difference?  Prior to doing this, was your experience as bad as what others say in this thread?  My first and only Vera experience has been with IU7, and it's been less than perfect, but it's been generally usable except a few times recently I've had to reboot the vera physically for some reason.

My vera is plugged into a local smart switch, and it would be easy to put on it's own vlan..  I am curious what exactly your experience was before doing so?

Thanks!
Steve
2x VeraLite; 2xTrane Tstats; 45 x Switches/Dimmers/Appliance Modules; 4x Everspring Water Sensors; DSC Integration; 2 x Zwave Door Locks; 1x Ted5K; 1x Rainforest Eagle; Onkyo AVR; 6x Squeezebox;

Offline Allanbit

Upgraded to UI5 After using UI7 for 4 misserable days
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 02:54:18 am »
I sent you a pm, but maybe you missed it.  I would also be glad to help test your game for you whenever you are ready.