Author Topic: "Can't Detect Device" UI7 on ZWave battery devices - root issue identification  (Read 4920 times)

Offline rbakley

I posted my experience with this issue in the other thread:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,36482.0.html

In summary, the conclusion I have come to is that there may be a hardware issue with the Z-wave radio receiver in the Vera Plus.  It is either extremely insensitive, or the Zwave network is not able to route commands effectively.   If it is a hardware issue, it probably won't get fixed with a software update.

I started with a Vera Lite a couple of years ago.   Before I purchased it, I also purchased the parts to add an external antenna and did the mod right away.   I have many battery powered devices and have never encountered a problem with them.   Perhaps the added antenna helped with the Vera Lite.  I don't believe that it is a simple matter to add an external antenna to the Vera Plus and have not looked into doing it.   I pre-ordered the Vera Plus before it was available and have been running it ever since it was released.    I have always had the "Can't Detect Device" error.    I am reluctant to upgrade the firmware on ANY Vera device, I have never had a problem free firmware update.  Currently I am running 1.7.1754.

My solution/work-around is to use an Aeon Labs Aeotec Zwave Extender/Repeater.   It is $28 dollars on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7QZUZM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe the reason it works is because the weaker devices are able to talk to the Extender/Repeater and it in turn relays the messages to the Vera Plus.    I have been using the Extender/Repeater for 3 weeks now and ever since adding it, my system has been error free.    Previously, I had ALWAYS had a problem with the "Can't Detect Device" error.   Nothing I had tried up until now has worked.      Within a couple of hours of adding the repeater, I finally saw the Dashboard's System Status with a :).     I have a small one floor house with a basement and a bedroom located in the attic.    The Vera Plus is located in the center of the house on the first floor.    The Extender was added in the basement and is located only about 10 feet below the Vera Plus.   I imagine that in larger houses more than 1 extender may be required, perhaps one on each floor.   

I would be interested to hear from other people that either already have an Aeon Labs Extender or users that purchase it to add to their systems.    I have no affiliation with Aeon Labs, I am just a happy customer.

-bob

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
I posted my experience with this issue in the other thread:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,36482.0.html

In summary, the conclusion I have come to is that there may be a hardware issue with the Z-wave radio receiver in the Vera Plus.  It is either extremely insensitive, or the Zwave network is not able to route commands effectively.   If it is a hardware issue, it probably won't get fixed with a software update.

I started with a Vera Lite a couple of years ago.   Before I purchased it, I also purchased the parts to add an external antenna and did the mod right away.   I have many battery powered devices and have never encountered a problem with them.   Perhaps the added antenna helped with the Vera Lite.  I don't believe that it is a simple matter to add an external antenna to the Vera Plus and have not looked into doing it.   I pre-ordered the Vera Plus before it was available and have been running it ever since it was released.    I have always had the "Can't Detect Device" error.    I am reluctant to upgrade the firmware on ANY Vera device, I have never had a problem free firmware update.  Currently I am running 1.7.1754.

My solution/work-around is to use an Aeon Labs Aeotec Zwave Extender/Repeater.   It is $28 dollars on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7QZUZM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe the reason it works is because the weaker devices are able to talk to the Extender/Repeater and it in turn relays the messages to the Vera Plus.    I have been using the Extender/Repeater for 3 weeks now and ever since adding it, my system has been error free.    Previously, I had ALWAYS had a problem with the "Can't Detect Device" error.   Nothing I had tried up until now has worked.      Within a couple of hours of adding the repeater, I finally saw the Dashboard's System Status with a :).     I have a small one floor house with a basement and a bedroom located in the attic.    The Vera Plus is located in the center of the house on the first floor.    The Extender was added in the basement and is located only about 10 feet below the Vera Plus.   I imagine that in larger houses more than 1 extender may be required, perhaps one on each floor.   

I would be interested to hear from other people that either already have an Aeon Labs Extender or users that purchase it to add to their systems.    I have no affiliation with Aeon Labs, I am just a happy customer.

-bob

These can't detect device issues are introduced in UI7. They are on lite, edge and plus. On UI5 I had no issues. Ibam sure it is a firmware issue. This also has been confirmed by MCV to me in several cases and also on this forum in numerous threads.

What disturbs me the most is that in every answer MCV says it will be fixed in "the next firmware", but for about 16 months there was only 1 update...
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline rbakley

The only change to my system was the addition of the extender.   I have tried various experiments with placement and changing parameters on the devices with issues.  Nothing helped, the problem has persisted for 7 or 8 months now.  We may have been told it is a firmware issue because they don't want to admit to a hardware issue and have to recall thousands of units.

I would like to see if anyone else duplicates my experience by adding the Extender.    While 28 dollars isn't exactly cheap, it was worth it to me to see if it would help.    My system consists of a wide variety of devices, about 65 in total with probably 70 percent AC powered and 30 percent battery powered.

-bob     

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
It could offcourse be a HW error, but again, with UI5 these issues where NOT there on the same hardware.
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline rbakley

It could offcourse be a HW error, but again, with UI5 these issues where NOT there on the same hardware.

I ran both UI5 and UI7 on my Vera Lite and did not encounter this issue, so perhaps my external 3db antenna mod helped.    The Vera Plus was released with UI7, so I have not attempted to load UI5 on it, if it would even work.   As I stated previouly I have ALWAYS had an issue with upgrading Vera devices.   I avoid at all costs.

So perhaps there are two issues at play.   A problem with the Zwave routing in UI7 firmware AND a hardware issue on the Vera Plus.   

-bob

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
On lite I had the mod as well. No issues on UI5, Yes on UI7.

Offline Aaron

Not sure what Vera is doing but seems like they aren't doing anything to fix major bugs like this one...
I'll stick with UI5 until I'm ready to move to Homeseer or something else.

I've given up on Vera ever being the great platform they could be

Offline shadee

Guys, this issue should be resolved with the today's BETA.

https://goo.gl/rqjyBF

my issues with can't detected with Fibaro devices and general battery operated devices has been resolves.

I did not see any changes at first but an hour later or so, all the can't detect messages gave disappeared. Ofc, I'm talking about devices that are in range and operating. Range issues will still be market with can't detect. I would say this is a legit message now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:49:25 pm by SPAM »

Offline hax0rmort

I pulled my repeater when I installed the beta (I wiped my network)as I had relocated my network block to the center of my home along with the vera box,  I assumed I wouldn't need it along with the mesh.  I'm going to re add it and hopefully see if ANY of my motion sensors start working again,  I'm not hopeful because my wired (USB mains) Multisensor 6 won't even trip/untrip and it's right in front of me!

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
This may not be ideal but I have a DVR plug-in always in error, and 1 of those door sensors. I added this in the startup lua:
luup.set_failure(false,88)
luup.set_failure(false,73)
return true

In my case, device 88 is the DVR, and device 73 is my garage man door sensor. Now, no "can't detect device" error.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Don Phillips

Today, I set the polling of my 2 battery sensors to default polling (z-wave polling is set to 60) and I have had NO can't detect device errors for a couple of hours.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline JackTheMan18

• Sr. Newbie
Hello Don Phillips.
Did your changes of setting the default polling work?

Offline Don Phillips

It is better, but I still get the "error" from time to time. No errors at the moment.