Author Topic: "Can't Detect Device" UI7 on ZWave battery devices - root issue identification  (Read 8755 times)

Offline Don Phillips

This was cured on my Vera 3 with the current firmware update.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb

Offline Sig

• Beta Testers
I'm now actually in my weekend home, where I've been having these problems, and it's affecting all my battery-powered devices, _except_ my multisensor.  I just don't understand what's causing this.  My three Aeotec door/window sensors are affected - I've recharged their batteries, and re-tripped them, and they seem to be picked up by Vera for a moment, then the "Can't Detect Device" red banner returns.  The Schlage lock is in the same condition.  Really very frustrating, especially with the lock, for which I depend on remote control.  I'm running the latest firmware on a VeraPlus - I guess I need to call MCV tomorrow and see if we can figure out what's going on.

Offline P-a

Hi all,

From what I can tell the "Cant detect device" issue cannot be resolved?

I tried the Aeon Range Extender, but it made no difference whatsoever. I have a Hank Button and a Fibaro Door Window Sensor 2 all working fine. I just have issues with 2 Aeon Multisensor 6.

Will make a final attempt by removing and deleting one of the Multisensors and then add it again. Fingers crossed.....

Offline Sig

• Beta Testers
It was a frustrating weekend, but my "Can't Detect Device" issues seem to have been resolved.

At some point after my post last Thursday, my system became unstable.  It seemed to be in a re-boot loop.  I called Support Friday, and ended up leaving the system open for them all day to investigate/troubleshoot the issue.  I also old them about the Can't Detect Device errors, and it's still not clear if this was related to the issue that de-stabilized my system or not.  I was told that there was "unusual activity on a port that is used by Vera" and that this activity was being initiated by my HP OfficeJet printer (which is also connected to my home network).  I have no clue what my printer would be doing, especially since it's probably in stand-by mode 98% of the time.  I was also told that there was something going on inside one of my plug-ins...the Evolve LCD plug-in.  I've had that plug-in on my system for years now, so what would have changed to create this problem, I don't know.  But after letting Support tinker with my system all day, they apparently resolved the issue by making a code change in the Evolve LCD plug-in, and doing some other things that aren't quite clear to me.  They then told me to "check one of your internet devices with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" which turned out to be my VistaCam.  I'm still not sure what they wanted me to "check" - the camera was connected to the network and seemed to be working fine.  Once they were done, all my Can't Detect Device problems stopped, _EXCEPT_ for my Schlage Electronic lock.  I could not get it to respond.  So, I eventually excluded/re-included it, and now it's working fine.  Again, not sure if this was related to the other issue(s) or a separate problem.

Bottom line, for now, my system seems to be back to normal.  But it's mysterious failures like this that continue to reduce my faith in Vera as a long term/stable solution for my home automation needs.  This Vera is in my weekend/vacation home, and it's not merely a convenience, but a necessity. I've had Vera forever, and I've tolerated all sorts of episodes like this, but I can't imagine that more consumer-friendly products (like Wink or SmartThings) are this finicky (or maybe they are too).   

Offline jchin

• Sr. Newbie
For the last 3 months, I've been having this problem with a Monoprice 4-in-1 motion sensor.  I have even exchanged devices with Monoprice.
Odd thing is ... there are 2 other devices (same make/model) that was previous paired with Vera, and those work.
The device in question is sitting about 2 feet away from the controller and still get this error after about an hour of waking it up with a paperclip push of the pinhole.

Could this be an firmware issue?

Offline Don Phillips

I had a similar issue for years.  The current firmware seems to have fixed it for my 2 door sensors.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb