Author Topic: DIY replacement for a Safewatch pro-3000  (Read 1542 times)

Offline jimmyfoo

DIY replacement for a Safewatch pro-3000
« on: August 25, 2016, 08:57:20 am »
My home's security system was installed by ADT. The control panel is a Safewatch pro-3000.  I'd like to upgrade the panel to a z-wave model.  Is there a compatible DIY drop-in replacement that could work with my veraplus?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
Re: DIY replacement for a Safewatch pro-3000
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 10:15:47 am »
Vera interfaces with alarm systems through an interface card (in my case the Evansilink EVL-3 connected to a DSC alarm system)
This allows all of the security sensors to be visible in Vera to be used for automation purposes.

i.e. when a DSC Motion sensor trips ... I can turn on some lights.  When the DSC Window sensors indicate the windows are open I can turn off my AC.
You can also use Vera to arm/disarm the alarm system automatically when it detects you are away/home respectively.

There are other options available ... but you can't use just any alarm system.
You may have to eat the cost of the actual alarm system (you can likely reuse all of the existing security sensors, many are interchangeable between systems).

Offline andrewgarfield

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 10:54:24 am »
IMO, it's a better idea to keep a dedicated alarm system that does what it does best (protect your house) and then just interface it with Vera.  This way you have the reliability of a proven alarm system, but can still use information from the alarm system to inform the home automation.

The Safewatch Pro 3000 is basically a Ademco Vista 20p, only (and I may be wrong about this) with a few minor features disabled.  As a result you can use the AD2USB device to interface with it.  I've been doing this for years and have loved it.  The AD2USB mimics a keypad so it has all the information and functionality one would get with a keypad.  You can get alarm status, enable/disable the alarm, and get instant status information on the status of all your zones.

Personally I use my Safewatch Pro 3000 in this way, and it is really the basis of almost all the triggers for my house.  When I leave we arm it away and it automatically makes sure all doors are locked, lights are off, and thermostats are set to "out of house" temperatures.  When we get home and disable the alarm, lights turn on, thermostat go to normal temperatures, etc. Arming it to "Stay" does similar things knowing that we are in the house.

Offline jimmyfoo

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:16:51 pm »
IMO, it's a better idea to keep a dedicated alarm system that does what it does best (protect your house) and then just interface it with Vera.  This way you have the reliability of a proven alarm system, but can still use information from the alarm system to inform the home automation.

The Safewatch Pro 3000 is basically a Ademco Vista 20p, only (and I may be wrong about this) with a few minor features disabled.  As a result you can use the AD2USB device to interface with it.  I've been doing this for years and have loved it.  The AD2USB mimics a keypad so it has all the information and functionality one would get with a keypad.  You can get alarm status, enable/disable the alarm, and get instant status information on the status of all your zones.

Personally I use my Safewatch Pro 3000 in this way, and it is really the basis of almost all the triggers for my house.  When I leave we arm it away and it automatically makes sure all doors are locked, lights are off, and thermostats are set to "out of house" temperatures.  When we get home and disable the alarm, lights turn on, thermostat go to normal temperatures, etc. Arming it to "Stay" does similar things knowing that we are in the house.

Thanks! This looks like it might be a good option.  If I understand this device you'd have to run a 10' USB cable from the panel to your vera unit.  That's kind of a problem as I'd like to keep the vera in the central interior of my house and my security panel is near an external wall.

Offline andrewgarfield

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 10:13:56 am »
Yes, you'd have to have a direct connection USB connection between the AD2USB and your alarm panel.  However, there are some that have it set up to do it over their home networking that helps keep the two separate.  I don't know much about it and haven't tried it myself so I can't vouch for how well it works or whether it's difficult to set up.

I found the thread here:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,26672.0.html