Author Topic: Mechanically quiet zwave module to switch a small power supply (aka wallwart)  (Read 347 times)

Offline JohnRob

Does anyone know of a mechanically quiet "appliance" module?   I wish to turn off the power to an appliance that is powered by a plug-in power supply.

The problem is the module will be in the bedroom and the appliance module I have (Leviton) makes a "click" on each actuation.  While it is not terribly loud, it will likely wake one of us up if actuated during the night.

Thanks

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
Use the ON/Off function in a Z-wave dimmer.

Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline JohnRob

Thanks zedrally, however all the dimmers I have ramp on and ramp off.  Usually not good for a switching regulator (the wall wart).

John

Offline zedrally

Then look for a Z-Wave switch that uses a SSR (solid state relay).

Just out of interest what sort of equipment are you trying to control?
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Just out of interest what sort of equipment are you trying to control?

Must not be a light or anything that makes noise as that you also wake you up.

All the switches I know have a standard relay in them and make a relay click when turned on in a very quiet house. Atleast mine do.

Offline zedrally

At the risk of getting hammered, if the use of a dimmer is not possible then I would build my own using a Z-UNO and a SSR.

Straightforward enough.

http://z-uno.z-wave.me/

google: yourvoltage Solid State Relay

Fairly straightforward to adapt the 4 channel example to just 1 channel substituting the Relay for a SSR.

Offline shallowearth

Cooper makes a plug in dimmer that lets you configure the ramp time to zero, as well as always set the turn on default to 100% via programmable parameters

Model is RFLDM

Offline RichardPHarvey

The reason that you hear that click is because appliance modules are rated to carry the higher current draw of the typical appliance, think  toaster or coffee pot.  If all you're looking to control is a wall wart than an appliance module is overkill.  There are light control modules out there that are just simple on/off and do not dim at all.  That's what you want....!

Offline bohemian

• Sr. Newbie
Depending on the application, you could also try one of the Aeon Labs DSC26103 Aeotec Z-Wave Micro Switch modules. Don't know how quiet it is though.
VeraPlus, Ecobee, Legrand Adorne and too many Z-Wave devices to name