Author Topic: Fibaro FGS-223 second channel not working with Vera Edge  (Read 17353 times)

Offline neptunix

Re: Fibaro FGS-223 second channel not working with Vera Edge
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2017, 05:16:32 am »
Hi RitterIwan,

Thanks, I didn't know that and was wondering about the differences between FGS-222/223
Sad   :(

Offline RitterIwan

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2017, 05:30:30 am »
Hi,

another - maybe more important - difference is the abilty of the FGS-222 (the previous version) to swich an independent load. The FGS-223 can only switch the load it is powered from. The FGS-222 is able to switch an independent circuit, e.g. 24V)

Offline neptunix

« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2017, 07:16:15 am »
Yeah, that is a major difference! Thanks for mentioning!

Offline martynwendon

« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2017, 02:52:10 pm »
While the solution mentioned earlier in the thread works to some extent, it's not really correct and doesn't fix the power reporting.

It pains me that this device was released nearly a year ago and Vera still hasn't figured it out ...... in fact their support techs are punting out the fix from this very thread as a "solution".

I think zedrally mentioned it earlier, this is a multi-channel device supporting multi-channel Association, so the first problem is that Vera try to control the device using the wrong command class, it expects the Binary Switch command class to be used and *sent* to the right endpoint and to be security encapsulated.

Then, ALL it needs for local (switch) status reporting to work and the channel power reporting to work is the *correct* multi-channel Association setting and it will magically spring to life. 

So, if you fancy testing this on a newly Included FGS-223 (or want to Exclude an existing one and then Include it again) all you need to do is the following:

1) Fix the control from the UI by creating a new Service Variable on the child devices to make Vera use the Binary Switch command class to control them:

Code: [Select]
Service ID: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1
Variable: SetTargetCommandClass
Value: 37

Reload the engine each time and refresh your browser in between.

2) Fix the local switch change reporting and power reporting by opening up the test lua window and running the following commands one at a time, leaving 30 seconds or so between each one. 

In both these commands replace '20' with the Z-Wave NODE ID of the PARENT device on your FGS-223 (shown on the SETTINGS tab like "ID20"):

luup.call_action('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1','SendData',{Node='20',Data='133 4 1 1'},1)
The above command deletes the current Association to group 1.  The following command adds the multi-channel Association to group 1 that is required.

luup.call_action('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1','SendData',{Node='20',Data='142 1 1 0 1 1'},1)
3) Optional - set POLLING to ZERO to stop Vera from unnecessarily polling a device that supports instant status, instant meter reports, etc, etc.

That should be all that's required to get the device working FULLY with each child device on the UI controlling the correct channel on the device and both local switch change reporting and power reporting working correctly for each channel.

The parent device will still control channel 1 on the device but will no longer show power readings nor local switch change status updates - really, parent devices in a multi-channel device should be set to have no function other than allowing you to set device parameters, or perhaps reporting parent device information such as a battery level.

I still find controlling this device from Vera takes a few seconds to update the UI although the device itself does switch instantly (using either this method or the earlier mentioned method). There appears to be some craziness with Z-Wave going on which results in a myriad of tries and retries before an ACK is received, not sure what's going on there so will have to leave that one to Vera to sort out!

I tested this multiple times with multiple FGS-223 across multiple test Vera and it worked every time, your mileage may vary of course and no guarantees it will work, but it would be interesting to hear feedback from other people.

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2017, 03:00:07 pm »
What bothers me the most is that zwave device support is lacked at all. Also this new version beta 7.0.23 doesn't mention a LOAD of new zwave devices. Which it should do in my opinion.

The horror of non supported zwave devices in vera gets bigger by day...
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline martynwendon

« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2017, 04:45:52 am »
Yes it's frustrating to say the least ...... I guess all those Samsung Appliance users are well happy though  ::)

Offline rge

« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2017, 04:46:43 am »
While the solution mentioned earlier in the thread works to some extent, it's not really correct and doesn't fix the power reporting.

It pains me that this device was released nearly a year ago and Vera still hasn't figured it out ...... in fact their support techs are punting out the fix from this very thread as a "solution".

I think zedrally mentioned it earlier, this is a multi-channel device supporting multi-channel Association, so the first problem is that Vera try to control the device using the wrong command class, it expects the Binary Switch command class to be used and *sent* to the right endpoint and to be security encapsulated.

Then, ALL it needs for local (switch) status reporting to work and the channel power reporting to work is the *correct* multi-channel Association setting and it will magically spring to life. 

So, if you fancy testing this on a newly Included FGS-223 (or want to Exclude an existing one and then Include it again) all you need to do is the following:

1) Fix the control from the UI by creating a new Service Variable on the child devices to make Vera use the Binary Switch command class to control them:

Service ID: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveDevice1
Variable: SetTargetCommandClass
Value: 37

Reload the engine each time and refresh your browser in between.

2) Fix the local switch change reporting and power reporting by opening up the test lua window and running the following commands one at a time, leaving 30 seconds or so between each one. 

In both these commands replace '20' with the Z-Wave NODE ID of the PARENT device on your FGS-223 (shown on the SETTINGS tab like "ID20"):

luup.call_action('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1','SendData',{Node='20',Data='133 4 1 1'},1)
The above command deletes the current Association to group 1.  The following command adds the multi-channel Association to group 1 that is required.

luup.call_action('urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1','SendData',{Node='20',Data='142 1 1 0 1 1'},1)
3) Optional - set POLLING to ZERO to stop Vera from unnecessarily polling a device that supports instant status, instant meter reports, etc, etc.

That should be all that's required to get the device working FULLY with each child device on the UI controlling the correct channel on the device and both local switch change reporting and power reporting working correctly for each channel.

The parent device will still control channel 1 on the device but will no longer show power readings nor local switch change status updates - really, parent devices in a multi-channel device should be set to have no function other than allowing you to set device parameters, or perhaps reporting parent device information such as a battery level.

I still find controlling this device from Vera takes a few seconds to update the UI although the device itself does switch instantly (using either this method or the earlier mentioned method). There appears to be some craziness with Z-Wave going on which results in a myriad of tries and retries before an ACK is received, not sure what's going on there so will have to leave that one to Vera to sort out!

I tested this multiple times with multiple FGS-223 across multiple test Vera and it worked every time, your mileage may vary of course and no guarantees it will work, but it would be interesting to hear feedback from other people.

Superb!

Haven't tried this yet, but are the changes persistent?  Or will it all revert on upgrade / reboot?

Does something similar enable instant status on the FGS-213?

Offline martynwendon

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2017, 08:25:40 am »
Superb!

Haven't tried this yet, but are the changes persistent?  Or will it all revert on upgrade / reboot?

Does something similar enable instant status on the FGS-213?

They should be persistent since the variables are created on the child devices and the Associations are made on the device itself using raw Z-Wave commands.  The only caveat might be if you do a "reconfigure node" on the parent device which sometimes triggers Vera to tear down and recreate all the child devices.

FGS-213 should be working already out-of-the-box as it's only a single channel device, all mine work fine for instant status / power reporting.

Offline souly75

« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2017, 04:19:31 pm »
Thank you so much @martynwendon
Your workaround helped me to bring the 2nd channel to life :)
greetings from a newbie from Germany :)

Offline martynwendon

« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2017, 05:52:22 pm »

Glad it's working for you!  Do you have both the local switch status and power reporting working now for both channels?

Offline souly75

« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2017, 05:55:59 pm »

Glad it's working for you!  Do you have both the local switch status and power reporting working now for both channels?
No I don't have the energy status, but for me that doesn't matter. The switch reacts as planned.

Offline RitterIwan

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2017, 10:56:31 am »
Hi martynwendon,

it works like a charme. Including energy metering. It's amazing how you figured it out.

My standing ovations to you  :D

Offline martynwendon

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2017, 12:12:39 pm »
Hi martynwendon,

it works like a charme. Including energy metering. It's amazing how you figured it out.

My standing ovations to you  :D

Thanks for confirming  :D

I'll take the ovations, but really, it's not rocket science, which makes it even more painful that it's been nearly a year and Vera still haven't fixed it (along with a myriad of other multi-channel devices).

Online kwieto

« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2017, 06:30:34 pm »
For me metering on the second channel is still missing.
Device reports status change in case if it was turned on/off by physical switch, but only 1st channel reports energy.

I don't know, the device which I have connected to the second channel is very low-power (between 0,5 and 1,5W), so maybe Fibaro has default threshold for reporting set above that values (I have similar device connected to Qubino Flush 2 relays, it reports both channels correctly regardless how low power consumption is).
I used the solution provided earlier (adding variable basic set capabilities with values "00=F0,FF=O0"), maybe this causes the problem? But why only for second channel?
If yes, how to revert that change?

Another question: Qubino, mentioned above, does not support reporting change of status if switched manually. Can using the solution for Fibaro help here?

Offline martynwendon

« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2017, 11:39:24 am »
I used the solution provided earlier (adding variable basic set capabilities with values "00=F0,FF=O0"), maybe this causes the problem?

Yes, you need to use the solution in this post http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38961.msg330555.html#msg330555

Most people seem to be reporting that this is working OK.

If yes, how to revert that change?

I would suggest Excluding the device and Including it again and starting fresh with the instructions from the post above.

Another question: Qubino, mentioned above, does not support reporting change of status if switched manually. Can using the solution for Fibaro help here?

Directly, no.  The same "technique", probably. 

You'll need a Z-Wave Sniffer (like ZNiffer) or something like the CIT ( https://z-wavealliance.org/cit/ ) to view the raw Z-Wave so that you can work out what command classes and type of associations need to be added and then work out how to configure that with Vera (if possible).

Or, keep pestering Vera Support, repeatedly, to make these devices work properly out-of-the-box.  Qubino Flush 2 Relay Plus is only what, 2 years old now?