Author Topic: Z-Uno  (Read 1190 times)

Offline DylanBalloo

Z-Uno
« on: September 21, 2016, 10:24:05 am »
Hello Vera Community,
Has anyone ever worked the new board Z-Uno for any project.
https://z-uno.z-wave.me/
Is it compatible with the Vera Edge.
Thanks
Regards
Dylan
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 09:39:45 am by John M. »

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
Re: Z-Uno
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 12:50:41 pm »
No, but it looks quite interesting.  There's already a plugin which accesses Arduino-based sensors https://www.mysensors.org/controller/vera, and two under development to access the ZWave.me Razberry board or their UZB stick via openLuup: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,38297.0.html and http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,39261.0.html

So a plugin which was sort of cross between the two would make an interesting addition to the options we have for accessing ZWave devices.
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P.
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, DataYours, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:40:24 pm »
They indicate Vera compatibility on their site.

If you're familiar with Arduino, I'd say go for it. I certainly will as soon as(if) they are available in the U.S. But, if you're not really familiar with Arduino, this is probably not for you.

Offline rumen33

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 02:05:03 pm »
Z-Uno is very useful device and full Vera support will be great.

Offline PoltoS

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 06:28:57 pm »

All popular sensor types are supported by Vera. But exotic pressure/distance/radiation/... sensors are not visible in Vera.

I certainly will as soon as(if) they are available in the U.S.

Now it is available. Check https://z-uno.us

I think now once it is available in US, there would be more Vera Edge/Plus users and MiCasaVerde will make a better support of Z-Uno.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 12:47:55 pm »

All popular sensor types are supported by Vera. But exotic pressure/distance/radiation/... sensors are not visible in Vera.

I certainly will as soon as(if) they are available in the U.S.

Now it is available. Check https://z-uno.us

I think now once it is available in US, there would be more Vera Edge/Plus users and MiCasaVerde will make a better support of Z-Uno.

And Vera needs to get more interoperability!

Offline poordom

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 07:53:58 pm »
Hello Vera Community,
Has anyone ever worked the new board Z-Uno for any project.
https://z-uno.z-wave.me/
Is it compatible with the Vera Edge.
Thanks
Regards
Dylan

Good evening All,

As anyone started working with the Z-Uno card yet.

I have just placed an order for 1, hopefully my lack of experience and programming skills, won't cripple me.

Does one need a specific Plug-In for this unit.

Dom

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 09:57:28 pm »
No plugin needed.
Hopefully the mods can start a seperate group for this.

You can also read some discussion on Z-UNO here;

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,49661.msg324637.html#msg324637

some on the Home Seer forums here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1315013#post1315013

Technical and further questions can be raised here:

http://forum.z-wave.me/viewforum.php?f=3427&sid=1c8cea40e5e4cceb63e174747b0e11c5

You will find that you are only limited by your imagination with this device, I'm just scratching the surface and see unlimited possibilities and look forward to reading how others are using ZUNO.
Honorable Member of the outrageous & epic smite thread. Smite me, I dare you.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus Z-UNO.

Offline mvader

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 01:24:18 pm »
not to poo poo on anyone who has a legitimate use for this device.. but i don't see the appeal at $76
you can get a nodemcu for like $2-3
this appears to be zwave + arduino = $76
nodemcu is wifi+arduino = $3
what am i missing?

Offline akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 02:24:44 pm »
what am i missing?

Market volume?
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P.
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, DataYours, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.

Offline zedrally

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 04:42:00 pm »
Same could be said about Zig Bee, horses for Courses and time will tell.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors plus Z-UNO.

Offline poordom

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 03:20:47 pm »
not to poo poo on anyone who has a legitimate use for this device.. but i don't see the appeal at $76
you can get a nodemcu for like $2-3
this appears to be zwave + arduino = $76
nodemcu is wifi+arduino = $3
what am i missing?

I fully agree with you about the price, I wasn't aware of Nodemcu, I will keep it in mind.

I chose the Z-Uno, because, I am not a programmer, or an engineer, and I wanted a simple access to       Z-Wave, without having to learn all the Z-Wave stuff.

Dom

Offline zedrally

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 06:39:39 pm »
What most forget is that this is native Z-Wave not WiFi, 433 or other communication frequencies and protocols.

If you want a development board to integrate directly without serial adaptors or plugins then this cuts other devices out of the loop.

With the WiFi spectrum becoming flooded, it's easy to forget that WiFi devices  and their ilk may not function correctly, while Z-Wave on it's dedicated frequency will.

I have several projects for this in mind, one of which involves communication with a MegaA. To me that is combining the best of both worlds.

Offline mvader

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 11:14:33 am »
What most forget is that this is native Z-Wave not WiFi, 433 or other communication frequencies and protocols.

If you want a development board to integrate directly without serial adaptors or plugins then this cuts other devices out of the loop.

With the WiFi spectrum becoming flooded, it's easy to forget that WiFi devices  and their ilk may not function correctly, while Z-Wave on it's dedicated frequency will.

I have several projects for this in mind, one of which involves communication with a MegaA. To me that is combining the best of both worlds.

if this is a product that you are trying to sell or get a kick back from, then i understand and i'm not trying to be a hater.
but to me this is very expensive and you can accomplish the same task far cheaper. for example, i'm putting in some under cabinet lighting.
I considered a native zwave solution, using the fibario rgb device, it's $70. i purchased a node mcu for $6 and am achieving the same results.
I personally don't have any wifi reliability issues, but I recognize that is subjective to the environment. but i have dozens of wifi devices, as well as zwave, 433 and other RF devices. I really don't have any issues with them.
I would certainly prefer to have a native zwave solution. but the cost to implement vs going wifi is substantial. If you have the extra money then great.
but when you can buy 10 esp based arduino devices for the cost of 1 of these.
if the cost was much less (and i know that zwave chips are more expensive) then it would be more ideal.

Offline zedrally

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 06:33:56 pm »

snip

but when you can buy 10 esp based arduino devices for the cost of 1 of these.
if the cost was much less (and i know that zwave chips are more expensive) then it would be more ideal.

And this is the beauty of this device, you can have up to 10 devices all rolled into one.
USD$7.60 is pretty cheap per device.