Author Topic: Presence Detection  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Ibrahim

Re: Presence Detection
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 05:58:54 pm »
I did the exact thing on my home. A raspberry pi scanning for nearby bluetooth devices and letting Vera know when I come home or leave.
But instead of relying on phone bluetooth, which is a battery killer because it not only has to stay on, but also be visible for other devices, I've bought a bluetooth tracking device like this one (it ca be any bluetooth 4.0 device) and it works perfectly.

Offline dirtbikr

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 02:08:44 pm »
I did the exact thing on my home. A raspberry pi scanning for nearby bluetooth devices and letting Vera know when I come home or leave.
But instead of relying on phone bluetooth, which is a battery killer because it not only has to stay on, but also be visible for other devices, I've bought a bluetooth tracking device like this one (it ca be any bluetooth 4.0 device) and it works perfectly.

Very cool! Just a heads up on the battery drain situation: Bluetooth must be on, but it does not have to be visible/discoverable. The Pi and the phones in the house that are being monitored have never even been paired, the Pi just knows the Bluetooth address. All four people in the house (including me) have not had any noticeable battery drain compared to before the Pi started monitoring.

Offline LindsiWains

Presence Detection
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 07:05:34 am »
I have reed switches on my doors as well but the period of non-detection of the PIRS in Cortex to avoid false positives means that someone can have finished moving before the PIR become active again. I was wondering if I could just register the IR sensor as a button rather than a proximity or distant sensor as button activation would infer presence at least in the same rooms. Still interested if a pair of sensors could be used as direction indicators for the stairs. At total cost of ?48 for four sensors would be a pretty cheap solution for this problem, but would be interested in Karam or Vivs view

Paul

Offline MNB

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 01:07:00 pm »
@dirtbikr, RPI noobie question how are you integrating/communicating your Raspberry Pi and Vera is there a plugin? Mike

Dirtbkr, how far is the range on the pi? I'd love a solution to know where in the house people are (we have big dogs, so motion sensors don't work). I wish the ibeacons worked well--this seems like the perfect solution but haven't been able to get them reliable enough.

I'd say the range is ~30 feet or so. It works very well in our 1500 sqft house with the pi directly in the middle of the house on the pot shelf.

@Z-Waver: I attached the script. I chose Python because there was an example online that I used to seed my implementation and I never worked in Python so I figured I would give it a shot. Take a look at it and try it out. I removed the bits that export to the excel file and I removed three of the users so it was less cluttered. (The forums wouldn't allow me to upload a ".py" extension, so I changed it to ".txt")
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's