We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Vera with multiple users & device retrictions  (Read 3730 times)

Offline RichieB

Vera with multiple users & device retrictions
« on: July 19, 2016, 03:29:49 am »
So i was wondering if there was a way to hide certain devices from certain user. For example, i have a fairly small home with a fairly large zwave network. and i don't want my  my kids to be able to access any of the devices in my room, but still able to access devices in their room and the other rooms. and since i have 2 then child 1 would not have access to the devices in Child 2 room and vise versa. so i know there already is restrictions/permissions but is there access permissions as well?  Like a PC with multiple users?

Marc Shenker

Re: Vera with multiple users & device retrictions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:42:47 am »
Hi Richie, no, there is no way to restrict user access to devices but I will pass that on to our Product Development Team as a feature request.

Offline markcm

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 12:38:37 am »
+1

I also do not want all my users to have full access to any and everything. Please count one more request for user groups with restrictions.

Thank you.

Offline Frasier

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 05:59:07 am »
I imagine most people access Vera via their Smartphone or Tablet rather than through a web page & browser. Apps like Homewave and Imperihome allow you to customise what is displayed on the device and in some cases select widgets which do not provide access to the full functionality. This is more likely to provide a near term solution than waiting on a feature enhancement from VC.

Offline davidsmoot

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 01:02:18 pm »
+1 here too.  I want to be able to grant a lot of people access to my lights but not my locks and cameras.  Seems an obvious feature but surprisingly I can't find a single HA platform that does this, even the open source ones like OpenHab and Home Assistant lack this. 

Seems like it would be easy to present a second UI with only a subset of devices displayed but maybe I don't understand.

David

Offline cgabriel

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 07:06:03 am »
Hello,
I'm a new user, I have just bought/installed a new Vera plus.
I do not have yet too many devices, but plan to expand.
That was my first question, how can I give kids access to their own lights??
I don't want them to have "fun" and turning on/off others lights...
I see "other users" menu in online account, but that's currently overkill. The young do not have emails (required), and I only want some simple authentication, local (no remote) only access.
Is there anything planned??

Regards,
Gabriel

Offline LindsiWains

Vera with multiple users device retrictions
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 05:07:11 pm »
No, both users can be logged in at the same time. We have several sites with more than one person working at the same time.

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 01:44:44 am »
Hi Richie, no, there is no way to restrict user access to devices but I will pass that on to our Product Development Team as a feature request.

They already got it for about 5 years. Thats when i started with UI2. At that time there was even "some" security (till UI5). Since UI7 there is even no local authentication.
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 05:38:18 pm »
What I have done for my wife and I is set up custom pages on our VeraMate apps on our phones. The things she needs to control are on her phone, and the things I need are on mine.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline Operations

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 05:46:45 am »
+1

I am an new user of a VeraPlus, and i'm surprised about de lack of security.
"GET ALL THE BENEFITS OF SMART HOME SECURITY."

Where is de access security in UI7, version: 1.7.2138,  (western europe)

Every guest user who knows the ip-number in my LAN, had full access to the controller.

on de wishlist are that devices, scene are not available for all users,  but only for selected users.

Offline Angus

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 02:54:27 pm »
I purchased Vera as it can do so much more than most controllers, so it amazes me that you can't restrict devices by user..... I tried Imperihome and locked the configuration, but this is only a work around that is very difficult to manage if you have more than a couple of users and are continually improving and adding to your system. It seems like such a simple thing to ask for..... I would love to hear how other users work around this limitation....