We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Google Home  (Read 18285 times)

Offline hayesb2

Google Home
« on: November 01, 2016, 01:14:44 pm »
Google Home is being released 11/4, will Vera support Google Home?

Offline JasonJoel

Re: Google Home
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 03:02:05 pm »
I would like to know plans around that myself...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Don Phillips

Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline JasonJoel

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 09:31:37 am »
I went through the Google Home setup a few days ago.

He fails to point out that you do not have to tie the Google home to ANY account if you don't want to.

Obviously you won't get personalized email, calendar, and search information if you do that, but it largely alleviates the Privacy concern if you are willing to live with the Assistant part being less useful.

It is unclear how running it with no google account configured would impact connectivity to home automation systems. I would assume negatively...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:45:52 am by JasonJoel »

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 09:48:46 am »
Or at least setup a home google account that is good for anyone. If something is private then it can't be on there but general calendars etc would still be okay.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline mrv777

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 01:19:07 pm »
Or at least setup a home google account that is good for anyone. If something is private then it can't be on there but general calendars etc would still be okay.

Agreed.  Can just setup a generic Google Account for the Home :)

Offline signal15

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 12:49:52 pm »
I just picked up one of these.  Overall, it's better at answering general questions than the Amazon Echo is.  However, even though it has support for Phillips Hue, it doesn't seem to be able to detect my ha-bridge gateway.  It uses some appspot.com site to try to discover it, and it doesn't show up.  Edit: Just updated to the latest ha-bridge (3.2.1) and now it works.

I wish you could change the launch word as well...  "ok, google" is cumbersome to say. 

Edit: I read the posts and article listed above, and some of this has changed.  You don't need to link the Google Home to a google account, and even if you do link it to one, it now has Guest Mode (which the article says does not exist).  You can switch it to guest mode from the Google Home app on your phone under the settings for the device.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 01:24:19 pm by signal15 »

Offline signal15

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 03:58:23 pm »
I have 59 devices linked to the Google Home via ha-bridge, and have put most of them in rooms.  Regular on/off works, as well as setting the level (e.g. "set Kitchen to 75 percent").  It also brought in my configured scenes as well.

Keep in mind that you'll want the latest (3.2.1) version of ha-bridge, as it did not work on my older 2.x version.  Get it here:
https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/releases

Offline dannieboiz

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 07:23:40 pm »
I'm sorry if I missed something, so you're saying that HA Bridge will allow GH to control Vera? Does it work in UI5?

Offline Gizmo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 07:13:31 am »
I am planning on using the smart things hub to add zwave control to google home if it can't function with Vera.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline wfalcon

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 02:30:48 pm »
I went out and got a GH, updated my ha bridge to 3.2.1.  Tried the process and it can't find my ha bridge.  I also have an Echo and removed all devices, did a discover and it find everything. 

HA bridge, Echo and GH are all on the same network.

Any thoughts?

[Edit]: After some trial and error, finally found the post that the HA Bridge has to be on port 80.  I was using a different port.  Everything is working like I had with the Echo
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 08:55:13 am by wfalcon »

Offline Wekurtz74

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 07:19:16 pm »
I went out and got a GH, updated my ha bridge to 3.2.1.  Tried the process and it can't find my ha bridge.  I also have an Echo and removed all devices, did a discover and it find everything. 

HA bridge, Echo and GH are all on the same network.

Any thoughts?

[Edit]: After some trial and error, finally found the post that the HA Bridge has to be on port 80.  I was using a different port.  Everything is working like I had with the Echo
When you say it is working like it did with the echo, how does that relate to language processing? 

What I am getting at is that I feel like I need to use very specific language in order for echo to give me the proper action.  Is this the same way?

The Google Home seemed to be a little more forgiving with language vagueness based on my understanding of the promotional materials.  What has your experience been so far? 

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Offline wfalcon

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 07:33:36 pm »
Just like Echo " Alexa - turn off/on" etc..  The GH is responding with "OK google - turn off/on" etc. the same way for all my devices (32 of them)

GH's response is a bit more interactive instead of just "OK", but the ask is the same.

My scenes that I have are name "the night scene" or "the outside light scene" so when I ask GH it is a bit more natural.  I originally had this for Echo since I had to say "Alexa - turn on the night scene" instead of "Alexa - turn on night scene". 

Hope that answer's your question.

Offline dannieboiz

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 07:35:04 pm »
can HA be installed on a windows pc?

Offline wfalcon

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 11:52:21 pm »
can HA be installed on a windows pc?

Yes, I am running it on a Windows machine right now using the bwssytems option.

go to this thread http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,31920.0.html read reply 2

there are 2 options the armzilla option (the original HA option) or the bwssystems (built off of armzilla). I hope I am referencing this correct.  If not I apologize, I do want to give credit where credit is due.

I also reference this site for the windows build - http://www.myzwave.net/index.php/adding-voice-control-to-vera-z-wave-systems-using-amazon-echo/2/ but only did options 1-6 to start.  Then i followed the read me steps on the bwssytems to add my devices.

Hopes that helps.